Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Even if it's something as simple as most people being indifferent to anyone outside of their social circle unless they scream in their faces what they want.

It's abusive that it is possible for people who live on their own to sit in their room and choose to starve to death without anyone showing any interest.

You see, if someone did show interest it would most likely be out of some sense of fear. 'What if it makes the newspapers?', that kind of thing. Not out of intrinsic love and concern.

The values that some people may have regarded as fundamental to simply being a normal human being are not what they actually practice, especially when they get older and supposedly 'wiser'. Instead what happens when most people get older is that all their prejudices and fears become preserved, as if in varnish, in their person. They become more selfish until fear wakes them from it. Fear, not love.

'All you need is fear' to be a human who survives. But fear is not what will make you something that is worth living in the eyes of generations below you. Love is.

But people do not truly love. They find someone who sufficiently sees to fills in their own flaws, like Polyfilla, but leaving manifest flaws gaping to the rest of the world. That's no good.

No love = no care = abuse.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Picnic1)
    Even if it's something as simple as most people being indifferent to anyone outside of their social circle unless they scream in their faces what they want.

It's abusive that it is possible for people who live on their own to sit in their room and choose to starve to death without anyone showing any interest.
    How the hell is that abusive? You're not doing anything, you might not even be aware that there is someone starving elsewhere. If you're suggesting that a life of solitude without interest in anything else in the world is abusive/selfish then you're demanding that everyone be active to help another person, which in itself is selfish.

You see, if someone did show interest it would most likely be out of some sense of fear. 'What if it makes the newspapers?', that kind of thing. Not out of intrinsic love and concern.
    That's pretty ignorant and generalising of anyone who contributes to charity. I didn't run a half-marathon just because I was afraid of cancer. Congratulations on pissing off everyone who's done something for charity.

The values that some people may have regarded as fundamental to simply being a normal human being are not what they actually practice, especially when they get older and supposedly 'wiser'. Instead what happens when most people get older is that all their prejudices and fears become preserved, as if in varnish, in their person. They become more selfish until fear wakes them from it. Fear, not love.
    How would you know? I'm assuming you're not older than 30, and from your post I can't gather that you're 'wiser' than the rest of the population.

'All you need is fear' to be a human who survives. But fear is not what will make you something that is worth living in the eyes of generations below you. Love is.
    Thanks for assuming that I do things out fear.

But people do not truly love. They find someone who sufficiently sees to fills in their own flaws, like Polyfilla, but leaving manifest flaws gaping to the rest of the world. That's no good.
    No idea what this is supposed to mean?

No love = no care = abuse.
    I don't love watching cricket, therefore I don't care about it, but that doesn't mean I am abusing people who play cricket. Simply not caring in something doesn't equal abuse, that's a terrible conclusion.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.