The Student Room Group
Winter time, University of Kent
University of Kent
Canterbury
Visit website

Psychology

Hi all

I've firmed Kent and was just wondering what people think of the course and others who have former it :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi,

I have just finished my BSc Psychology and have a place to stay on at Kent to do a MSc Psychology (Research). If you have any specific questions feel free to pm me! :smile:

I would say, if you did Alevel Psychology, make sure you bring your notes with you, as they will be useful as there is quite a bit of repitition in the first year which can be tedious, but make sue you listen as the following years build on it and I found when learning about memory for what felt like the 100th time, I switched off as I have done memory before, but because whenever topics I have done bits of before come up, I just switch off, so I don't actually know that much, making revision harder!

If you haven't done Alevel Psych, I would say that is probably better as you are completely fresh to all the topics, so don't worry as they teach you as if you have no psych knowledge anyway :smile:
Winter time, University of Kent
University of Kent
Canterbury
Visit website
Hey :smile:
I've firmed for psychology at Kent in September. I'm so nervous but REALLY excited about it! :smile:
Are you on the Kent psych new students facebook group?
Reply 3
Original post by sugar-plum-fairy
Hi,

I have just finished my BSc Psychology and have a place to stay on at Kent to do a MSc Psychology (Research). If you have any specific questions feel free to pm me! :smile:

I would say, if you did Alevel Psychology, make sure you bring your notes with you, as they will be useful as there is quite a bit of repitition in the first year which can be tedious, but make sue you listen as the following years build on it and I found when learning about memory for what felt like the 100th time, I switched off as I have done memory before, but because whenever topics I have done bits of before come up, I just switch off, so I don't actually know that much, making revision harder!

If you haven't done Alevel Psych, I would say that is probably better as you are completely fresh to all the topics, so don't worry as they teach you as if you have no psych knowledge anyway :smile:

Thanks that's really helpful, i did a level so good to hear that the bit of background will help. What did you do in your final year if you don't mind me asking?
Reply 4
Original post by psychstudent95
Hey :smile:
I've firmed for psychology at Kent in September. I'm so nervous but REALLY excited about it! :smile:
Are you on the Kent psych new students facebook group?

Hi
I forgot all about the facebook page but have just joined, is it good?

I'm nervous too mostly about getting in :tongue: did you do a level psych?
Original post by Skipper23
Hi
I forgot all about the facebook page but have just joined, is it good?

I'm nervous too mostly about getting in :tongue: did you do a level psych?

Hiya :smile:

I'm so glad someone's else is worried about getting in. The only way I'm getting in is if they lower my offer on results day :/ But I've heard that they do that quite a lot, so fingers crossed!

The facebook group is a bit dead tbh, but there is another one for all of the Kent freshers, which is a bit more lively, but I mainly read rather than post..

And, yes I do A-level psych, do you? There's SO much to learn that I'm really worried I'll fail, even though I understand it all, I just because I can't remember all of the research!
Reply 6
Heya,

I graduated from Kent in 2011 (Psychology with Clinical Psychology), starting an MSc at another uni this year, but hoping to go on to do a PhD at Kent if all works out and I apply and get in!

So if there's any questions I'm happy to try and answer, Kent is a great uni for Psychology. :smile:
Original post by Liv1204
Heya,

I graduated from Kent in 2011 (Psychology with Clinical Psychology), starting an MSc at another uni this year, but hoping to go on to do a PhD at Kent if all works out and I apply and get in!

So if there's any questions I'm happy to try and answer, Kent is a great uni for Psychology. :smile:

Hey,

You must love Kent if your coming back to it, so that's really great :smile:

Thanks for the offer, I have literally loads of questions, so here they are! (well, some of them, if I asked them all, you wouldn't have time for your PhD...)

Do you know how lenient they are with entry requirements? My offer's AAB, do you reckon I'd get in with ABB (or even below?).

Also, what's it like in first year? Uni seems like SUCH a big jump from anything I know and I've no idea how the workload will be!

How is the biological psychology module? I'm pretty bad at bio (got a D at AS, but 1 mark less it would have been an E) and I'm worried I'll fail! Do you think I may be able to try and sit in on those lectures in first year to get me a head start? (or is that just too keen?!)

Also, what's Canterbury like for jobs? Different people tell me different things. When is the best time to apply so that you don't have to work right at the beginning of term (like freshers week) but before all the student jobs have all gone?

Thank you so much and, see you there (?) :smile:
Reply 8
Hey,

You must love Kent if your coming back to it, so that's really great :smile:

Thanks for the offer, I have literally loads of questions, so here they are! (well, some of them, if I asked them all, you wouldn't have time for your PhD...)

Do you know how lenient they are with entry requirements? My offer's AAB, do you reckon I'd get in with ABB (or even below?).

Also, what's it like in first year? Uni seems like SUCH a big jump from anything I know and I've no idea how the workload will be!

How is the biological psychology module? I'm pretty bad at bio (got a D at AS, but 1 mark less it would have been an E) and I'm worried I'll fail! Do you think I may be able to try and sit in on those lectures in first year to get me a head start? (or is that just too keen?!)

Also, what's Canterbury like for jobs? Different people tell me different things. When is the best time to apply so that you don't have to work right at the beginning of term (like freshers week) but before all the student jobs have all gone?

Thank you so much and, see you there (?) :smile:

Haha, it's all good, the PhD is currently a distant hope in the future - I'm not starting my MSc until September! So feel free to ask as many questions as you like, I'm sure someone will answer them. :smile:

I started in 2007 with an offer of ABB, but I don't know how things are with applying and leniency at the moment. But if you don't think you're going to meet your offer, it is worth speaking to somebody at the university to see what your options could be, just to save all the panic of trying to do it all after results. But remember that you have every chance of getting the results you need anyway! (Sorry I can't be more helpful on that).

First year they really do ease you in pretty gently so don't worry too much about the workload, it's not too bad at all. Throughout the first year, we had one psychology essay when I was there, weekly Study Skills/Personal Development assignments, 5 stats/practical assignments, and then exams at the end of the year. Timetable wise, it was something like 11 or 12 hours in lectures/workshops/practical sessions, so there's lots of time to do anything you need to do. And lots of time for societies, so I would definitely recommend joining some!

Biological Psychology isn't too bad. It's the module I did least well in too, but the lecturers are good generally, and the readings/textbooks are very helpful! I wouldn't worry about sitting in on lectures in the first year because there is a Biological and General Psychology module in first year. If you do find you struggle with it, ask your lecturers, they should be happy to either help or to refer you to the right readings (and feel free to ask if you need anything, I still have all my old revision notes :colondollar:)

Jobs, it is pretty difficult in my experience (comes with having so many students from different unis looking for jobs I guess; although I had stuff going on so didn't work during uni) but it's obviously possible! I don't actually know the best time to apply for that, but I would definitely recommend looking at the Kent Union jobshop if you haven't seen it, they advertise throughout the year for all sorts of things. :smile:
Original post by Liv1204
Haha, it's all good, the PhD is currently a distant hope in the future - I'm not starting my MSc until September! So feel free to ask as many questions as you like, I'm sure someone will answer them. :smile:

I started in 2007 with an offer of ABB, but I don't know how things are with applying and leniency at the moment. But if you don't think you're going to meet your offer, it is worth speaking to somebody at the university to see what your options could be, just to save all the panic of trying to do it all after results. But remember that you have every chance of getting the results you need anyway! (Sorry I can't be more helpful on that).

First year they really do ease you in pretty gently so don't worry too much about the workload, it's not too bad at all. Throughout the first year, we had one psychology essay when I was there, weekly Study Skills/Personal Development assignments, 5 stats/practical assignments, and then exams at the end of the year. Timetable wise, it was something like 11 or 12 hours in lectures/workshops/practical sessions, so there's lots of time to do anything you need to do. And lots of time for societies, so I would definitely recommend joining some!

Biological Psychology isn't too bad. It's the module I did least well in too, but the lecturers are good generally, and the readings/textbooks are very helpful! I wouldn't worry about sitting in on lectures in the first year because there is a Biological and General Psychology module in first year. If you do find you struggle with it, ask your lecturers, they should be happy to either help or to refer you to the right readings (and feel free to ask if you need anything, I still have all my old revision notes :colondollar:)

Jobs, it is pretty difficult in my experience (comes with having so many students from different unis looking for jobs I guess; although I had stuff going on so didn't work during uni) but it's obviously possible! I don't actually know the best time to apply for that, but I would definitely recommend looking at the Kent Union jobshop if you haven't seen it, they advertise throughout the year for all sorts of things. :smile:

Opps, I though you were starting your Phd this September! :colondollar:

You've reassured me on the first year and module of biological psychology, which I was both really scarred of, haha. To physically get through, you only need to pass the biological psychology one (as in 40%) don't you? Not that I'll make that my aim, but at least if I do find it ridiculously hard it's a backup! Would you mind sending me your notes please if it's not too much trouble, just for me to get a look at what sort of thing I'll be doing but only when/if you get time, cos I've only just finished college, there's no way I'll be looking at notes for at least a week!

I'll have a look at the jobshop website, thanks. Do you know if your likely to get a job with any experience? I've got a summer job at a summer school as a residential activity assistant this summer, will that be enough experience do you think, though it's not related to retail?

THANK YOU SO MUCH for you answers, It's really reassured me :smile: :smile:
Reply 10
Opps, I though you were starting your Phd this September! :colondollar:

You've reassured me on the first year and module of biological psychology, which I was both really scarred of, haha. To physically get through, you only need to pass the biological psychology one (as in 40%) don't you? Not that I'll make that my aim, but at least if I do find it ridiculously hard it's a backup! Would you mind sending me your notes please if it's not too much trouble, just for me to get a look at what sort of thing I'll be doing but only when/if you get time, cos I've only just finished college, there's no way I'll be looking at notes for at least a week!

I'll have a look at the jobshop website, thanks. Do you know if your likely to get a job with any experience? I've got a summer job at a summer school as a residential activity assistant this summer, will that be enough experience do you think, though it's not related to retail?

THANK YOU SO MUCH for you answers, It's really reassured me :smile: :smile:

I think you should be able to find a job - obviously can't say for everyone, but remember even if it's not retail related you'll have transferable skills, like problem solving, responsibility, communication skills. :smile: There's also things like the nursery on campus depending on if they have vacancies, and people advertising for childcare with the Jobshop etc, so there's stuff like that to consider too!

And yes, you only need 40% to pass. I shall have a look for my notes, but yes, don't feel like you need to be looking over everything yet, you've got lots of time and they do ease you in gently with workload when you start anyway!
Original post by Liv1204
I think you should be able to find a job - obviously can't say for everyone, but remember even if it's not retail related you'll have transferable skills, like problem solving, responsibility, communication skills. :smile: There's also things like the nursery on campus depending on if they have vacancies, and people advertising for childcare with the Jobshop etc, so there's stuff like that to consider too!

And yes, you only need 40% to pass. I shall have a look for my notes, but yes, don't feel like you need to be looking over everything yet, you've got lots of time and they do ease you in gently with workload when you start anyway!

Hopefully, I should be able to get a job, I really need one!

Thanks for the notes, but only do them when you get time, I don't want to put you out.

:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending