The Student Room Group

Should I reach out to my friend?

Sorry for the long post...

I'm having a tough time at the moment and I used to have a really good friend to talk to. We haven't talked to each other for a few weeks now and we used to chat nearly everyday. I just don't know what happened. We used to support each other when we were both going through tough times.

Tonight, he deleted me from his friends list by accident and added me again. I asked what was up with that and he said that it was just an accident. I was hoping that maybe that would start up a conversation but it didn't. The last time I talked to him, he knew I was going through a tough time. He also took a few days to reply to a message that I sent him the last time we talked because he 'thought' he had already replied, and then it was only a short reply and didn't really continue the conversation.

I guess I was hoping that he would just ask me how I was tonight. I think I was being stubborn about starting a conversation myself 'cause of what happened the last time we spoke. This is what this thread is about. Should I try to reconnect with him? In the past, he said that I should just contact him if I need him / feel down but I don't feel like that applies anymore. He could have just left me deleted off his friends list if he really wanted so I guess he still wants me in his life if he re-added me?

Part of me thinks he's tired of listening to all of my ****. He's got a new girlfriend now and is quite happy so I feel like he doesn't need me anymore even though I would still chat to him when I was going out with someone and he was single. Maybe I'm jealous that he's happy or that his girlfriend has taken my place. We talked about holiday plans too but I guess he's gonna do all that with his girlfriend now. I just feel like I've been abandoned, which I know is a strong word :frown:...

Urgh, any thoughts/replies would be helpful!

TL; DR: Lost touch with a good friend and feel like I need him as I'm going through a tough time. Should I reconnect with him?
Try

This post misuses the anonymous function, before posting anonymously please read the H&R Guidelines http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Guidelines_for_health_and_relationships
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by fghi
Sorry for the long post...

I'm having a tough time at the moment and I used to have a really good friend to talk to. We haven't talked to each other for a few weeks now and we used to chat nearly everyday. I just don't know what happened. We used to support each other when we were both going through tough times.

Tonight, he deleted me from his friends list by accident and added me again. I asked what was up with that and he said that it was just an accident. I was hoping that maybe that would start up a conversation but it didn't. The last time I talked to him, he knew I was going through a tough time. He also took a few days to reply to a message that I sent him the last time we talked because he 'thought' he had already replied, and then it was only a short reply and didn't really continue the conversation.

I guess I was hoping that he would just ask me how I was tonight. I think I was being stubborn about starting a conversation myself 'cause of what happened the last time we spoke. This is what this thread is about. Should I try to reconnect with him? In the past, he said that I should just contact him if I need him / feel down but I don't feel like that applies anymore. He could have just left me deleted off his friends list if he really wanted so I guess he still wants me in his life if he re-added me?

Part of me thinks he's tired of listening to all of my ****. He's got a new girlfriend now and is quite happy so I feel like he doesn't need me anymore even though I would still chat to him when I was going out with someone and he was single. Maybe I'm jealous that he's happy or that his girlfriend has taken my place. We talked about holiday plans too but I guess he's gonna do all that with his girlfriend now. I just feel like I've been abandoned, which I know is a strong word :frown:...

Urgh, any thoughts/replies would be helpful!

TL; DR: Lost touch with a good friend and feel like I need him as I'm going through a tough time. Should I reconnect with him?

I can sort of relate to this as I have this good friend (who's female) who recently got a boyfriend and she's been ignoring me.

But you have to continue making an effort. Some people don't like making the first move. So just persevere and if that guy is a true friend he will get back to you. If he doesn't then he isn't worth knowing.

So in short definitely try reconnect with him, but don't lose any sleep if he fails to reciprocate.
I'm kinda confused. Have you actually been trying to contact him in the last few weeks? Cause if you haven't I don't see why its any more his fault than yours. He forgot to reply to a message once, no big deal, we all do it.

It honestly sounds like you've both just been preoccupied.
Wha-!? I wonder who disliked my comment and why they don't agree? I thought it was pretty good advice.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending