Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Gutted. One of the finest midfielders ever. On another note, hopefully it will highlight the need for a CM in the summer

ReputationRep:
    Mass exodus at Man. United.

Fergie, Scholes, Rooney (if they're lucky) then possibly Nani and Anderson. Fletcher has his health issue too.

ReputationRep:
    So end of an era for more than one reason. I'm sure United will cope.

ReputationRep:
    My favourite player.

Sad to see him go...again!
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    One of the finest players the Premier League has ever seen. Many a footballer can learn a lot from him, on and off the pitch.

Xavi: In the last 15 to 20 years the best central midfielder that I have seen — the most complete — is Scholes. I have spoken with Xabi Alonso about this many times. Scholes is a spectacular player who has everything. He can play the final pass, he can score, he is strong, he never gets knocked off the ball and he doesn’t give possession away. If he had been Spanish then maybe he would have been valued more.

Zinedine Zidane: My toughest opponent? Scholes of Manchester. He is the complete midfielder.

Edgar Davids, in his primeI’m not the best, Paul Scholes is.

Pep Guardiola: Out of everyone at Manchester United, I would pick out Scholes – he is the best midfielder of his generation. I would have loved to have played alongside him.

Cesc Fabregas: He is the one whose level I aspire to. He is the best player in the Premier League.

Thierry Henry: I can’t understand why Scholes has never won the player of the year award. He should have won it long ago. Maybe it’s because he doesn’t seek the limelight like some of the other ‘stars’.

Alan Shearer: If you ask footballers to pick out the player they most admire, so many of them will pick Paul Scholes. He can tackle, and his passing and shooting is of the highest level. He’s the most consistent and naturally gifted player we’ve had for a long, long time.

ReputationRep:
    The fact that he's Xavi's favourite player speaks volumes.

Criminally under-rated and underused by the England set up, spent most of his time for the national side playing out of position.

ReputationRep:
    Link to Neville interviewing Scholes:

http://www1.skysports.com/watch/vide...-the-interview

ReputationRep:
    I was amazed when he said he wanted to go into management as I always thought he'd be a coach at youth level. He's going to have to get used to media alot more if he does want to do that and work on his short, simple philosophy of how he would do it! But he's taking time away from the game which had he done in 2011, then I doubt he would have come back. I think he'd make a good coach, the quiet type always are the ones who surprise you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fusion)
    Link to Neville interviewing Scholes:

http://www1.skysports.com/watch/vide...-the-interview
    That man could suck the emotion out of any situation. What a hero. I still love his on pitch interview at the presentation, was basically:

"Paul, you're lifting the trophy, your manager for your whole career has retired, and your 19 year, 717 game, 25 trophy career has ended. How do you feel?"

"Well...it's just about the 3 points really "

:adore:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.