Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi just join here. I'm looking to apply for a primary teaching course starting in 2014 - however, I am a little unsure whether a SCITT or PGCE would be right for me. Currently, I haven't got a great amount of experience (2 weeks in a school with various age groups, 1 month teaching skiing to ages 3-16, general after school activities when I was younger with the primary section of my school) however, over the next year I plan to do a TEFL course and work as a volunteer in a school's outreach programme for 11 months with gives you 4 days a week in underprivileged schools. I do believe this will be enough by the end.
    The application process for SCITT is pretty convoluted, and it seems like just applying for a PGCE is easier, but I like the thought of starting from day 1 in the school.
    What are people's views on the whole process? When do you think you'll start applying for primary vacancies and how did you go about choosing you preferred course (PGCE or SCITT, or otherwise)?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hello, I'm looking to do the same
    I think you already have enough experience for a pgce, people who I have spoken to say in you interview they do not talk much about your experience, it is only for the application

I'd defiantly do the extra on month though! Sound valuable,
    Are you at university currently?
    What course are you taking?

I'm going to apply to staffs and mmu for primary pgce, purely because it's close to where I live and I want to save and commute rather than live away, I'm oing to apply in the middle of october hopefully, after I've arranged my references

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rache2)
    Hi just join here. I'm looking to apply for a primary teaching course starting in 2014 - however, I am a little unsure whether a SCITT or PGCE would be right for me. Currently, I haven't got a great amount of experience (2 weeks in a school with various age groups, 1 month teaching skiing to ages 3-16, general after school activities when I was younger with the primary section of my school) however, over the next year I plan to do a TEFL course and work as a volunteer in a school's outreach programme for 11 months with gives you 4 days a week in underprivileged schools. I do believe this will be enough by the end.
    The application process for SCITT is pretty convoluted, and it seems like just applying for a PGCE is easier, but I like the thought of starting from day 1 in the school.
    What are people's views on the whole process? When do you think you'll start applying for primary vacancies and how did you go about choosing you preferred course (PGCE or SCITT, or otherwise)?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    The application process for the majority of SCITT courses is the same as a PGCE course. Both are through GTTR.
    Do you mean School Direct? If so, from next year that will also be through GTTR (according to recent rumours).
    Getting more experience would definitely be wise. But what is really important is that you're able to reflect upon it well. In your interview they will be looking at how you reflect on your current experience and the teaching practises you've seen.
    Apply for primary ASAP. Places get full fast, especially at popular teacher training institutions.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.