Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm applying for a teaching course in 2014, but in the mean time I'd like to get a job (in London). While I know all about volunteering and all, I was kind of hoping there may be something paid working with kids. It's not the end of the world if I can't get anything - I'll just have to get a night job on the side of voluntary work, but it would be nice! Does anyone know of any ways to get paid work with kids? I seem to be unable really to get anything - all teaching assistant jobs nowadays require qualifications of large amounts of experience, which I don't have enough of (I'm just about to graduate Uni with Zoology, probably a 2:1).
    Cheers

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I know a lot of leisure centres do play scheme things for kids in the summer holidays (well they do around my area anyway, i assume it would be the same in other areas). So you could try there.
    Volunteer wise, you could volunteer with rainbows/brownies/guides. You could also volunteer at your local primary school, like doing reading with the kids or something. I know at the school i was at when i did my college course, they had volunteers who did reading with the kids, amongst other things.

ReputationRep:
    Rache2 - I would probably look to use your academic experience and any other experience that you have already to define the area of work with children, prior to getting into teaching. Whilst waiting to get some paid work, I would suggest you get involved with some volunteering immediately. Most charities will need your support. Beyond the fact that you are contributing and that its a good thing to do it. You will as you know be gaining some experience, that will support your application for paid work. Most employers will expect you to have some experience, because experience reduces risk of employing someone that could affect their reputation or even cost them money. So if you have done anything that would suggest that you are a safe bet then you need to ensure that they are aware of it. The employment market is ever changing, as are the actors in it. Although there are various jobsites, etc, the best way always is to do the leg work and repeat your request to various organisations, asking for their advice. Most people are willing to help and can point you in the right direction. I hope that helps if you need any more help do not hesitate to ask. LondonGrads

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.