Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    The first year mark contributes 0% on the degree (engineering), but, I have been told that it largely affects my chances of getting an internship for 2nd year summer.

With only 8 days remaining to study for the exams which contribute ~65% of the first year mark, I am slightly panicking now. My other 35% (courseworks) of the first year averages at around 70% so I need to get at least 70% on all the exams too to get a first, but I have not done any past papers yet and barely scraped studying some other units. I want to get a 1st to have good chances of getting an internship, but it feels very tough to reach that now at this point; just looking at the workload sometimes makes me feel overwhelmed. I hugely regret the bad time management and poor prioritisation I have done this 1st year (part of the reason is being too involved in societies). I've learned my lesson now and I will do my best to end up on a better situation next year and the upcoming ones. I am also going to do some studying during summer to make sure I have good foundation before starting 2nd year.

Anyways, I think I have a decent chance of securing a 2:2 - I would need to get at least 38% on all the exams to have that; and at least 55% to get a 2:1.

How much does the first year marks really affect someone overall? Say, if I got a 2:2 on 1st year, but got a good mark for 2nd year - how much would the 2:2 affect my chances of getting a good internship?

Do most ask for the 1st year grade? Or do most ask for the predicted grade?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    My 1st year grades were never asked at any of my internships.

It's good to do well in 1st year but it's not the end of the world if you don't, as long as you don't totally bomb. If you're performing well at your coursework then chances are you will do at least decently in your exams.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smack)
    My 1st year grades were never asked at any of my internships.

It's good to do well in 1st year but it's not the end of the world if you don't, as long as you don't totally bomb. If you're performing well at your coursework then chances are you will do at least decently in your exams.
    Cheers, that's good to hear. Anyhow, I'll just do my best and make the most of the remaining week and see how it goes.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.