Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello! I noticed that there wasn't a thread for this year's Int 2 English course and exam, so thought I'd create one.

How confident is everyone for the exam? I'm reasonably confident for the textual analysis sections, and for one critical essay - I'm doing Alan Bennett's Single Spies.

However, I'm at a loss over critical essay no. 2. Personal circumstances have made it so difficult to study lately, and we only ever prepared one text at school before I left for the loony bin. Eek.

I'm thinking of doing a poem which I know well outside of school. Larkin's Ambulances or Rimbaud's Ophelia would be my top choices - I'll go with Larkin's Ambulances, I think, as I'm not sure whether or not foreign-language texts are allowed in an "English" exam, haha.

ReputationRep:
    I have all of my essays prepared, it is now just the case of memorising my key quotes and points.

I'm studying 'Saving Private Ryan' which is quite good as I don't have to memorise quotes, just points about cinematic techniques. Although, I have to study the opening sequence, Wade's death and the final sequence.

I am studying 'of mice and men' which means I have to study three essays: a character essay, a theme of loneliness essay and a turning point essay. I am also studying three poems.

Overall it's 9 essays; English is hard work!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    9 essays? jeez I haven't even done more than one over study leave. I've planned all of the kinds of questions that fit my texts(well, just for Macbeth so far as I have 2 other exams before English) with line of thought, what each paragraph would be and quotes. It helps to secure essays without running the risk of the question coming up(^^I'd recommend making sure that you'll still be able to write an essay on Of Mice and Men just in case those three questions don't come up?).

I'm studying Macbeth which is great because there is so much stuff to write about that it's likely there'll be a decent question. I'm just hoping there's an ambition/character who changes question.

Also, Lord of The Flies which also fits lots of questions and most of the essays are similar just with a little bit of a difference to fit the question. If there isn't a Turning point or Good V. Evil question I doubt I'll get into the 20s like I'm aiming to...

And Revelation, which is my back up poem which is super easy to write about because most of the essays are really similar because it all relates back to either transition from childhood or to gender stereotyping but I prefer writing on the longer texts as you can go more in depth easily.

How are you feeling about close reading? It's just hit or miss with me depending on the passage as I've got 20/30 in one, then 26/30 in another so... I don't know.

ReputationRep:
    Of mice and men is my back up so I'm not going to study any other questions for it. I've looked through the essay questions and a question always comes up for it.

I'm the same with close reading! In the 2012 close reading I got 24/30 but in the 2011 one I got 26/30 and in the NABs in class I get 20.5/30. It really makes a difference if you take an interest In the passage you are reading because if you understand the passage it makes answering the questions easier.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'm starting to panic for english, my teacher has been useless all year and focused on the highers(that's when he bothers to come to class.) We've been given books and poems that examiners probably won't know. Prose is Never Let Me Go, Poetry is In The Snack Bar and Assisi and our Drama is Time and the Conways. I'm really nervous about my essays and really don't want to fail int2!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bpkidrauhl)
    Poetry is In The Snack Bar
    Ah In the Snack Bar!! The memories, I done that for int 2. Although I wasn't very good at doing essays at int 2 so I can't really help you haha. I was the only one in my class to do it in the final exam - it was either that or visiting hour and I hate visiting hour :[

ReputationRep:
    haha, I think I may do in the snackbar as I find that one the easiest to write about. How many quotes would you recommend I learn for each essay??

ReputationRep:
    haha, I think I may do in the snackbar as I find that one the easiest to write about. How many quotes would you recommend I learn for each essay??
    I'm not really the best person to ask because I always used the same 4 which is a bad idea haha. I'd learn the ones you find most necessary and flexible. I wouldn't overload yourself with quotes but just be sure you have enough to feel confident with

ReputationRep:
    There is usually a lot of crossover between the quotes you'd use for certain questions, so just judge it by seeing what essays come up and the quotes you'd use. Overloading yourself with quotes won't help though, as it's the analysis that gets the marker to give you marks.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Applying to university
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.