Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    As I have a head cold, I couldn't be arsed to go to school today...in my boredom, I put on a vid, A Clockwork Orange to be precise. Having never seen it before, I found it quite intense....I thought it was pretty good though....Is it postmodern genius in you opinion or just plain silly...was anybody offended by it? Personally, I didn't think it was exactly that shocking in this respect though in the 70s it might have been

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blamps)
    As I have a head cold, I couldn't be arsed to go to school today...in my boredom, I put on a vid, A Clockwork Orange to be precise. Having never seen it before, I found it quite intense....I thought it was pretty good though....Is it postmodern genius in you opinion or just plain silly...was anybody offended by it? Personally, I didn't think it was exactly that shocking in this respect though in the 70s it might have been
    i watched that but only in part - that was the intensity of Kubrick - as for post-modern genius or plain silly - i think one has to watch it a few times before one can truly appreciate it

ReputationRep:
    I loved that film! kubrick banned it because after it was released there was gang violence similar to that portrayed in the film

ReputationRep:
    the first time i saw a clockwork orange i wasnt shocked, but plesenly surprised by the fierce brutality of the film, i think that gives it a very good edge ovr similar films

ReputationRep:
    kubrick rocks

ReputationRep:
    kubrick only banned it in britain partly because of the gang violence comitted but also because Herts police recommended it considering he had kids living in a remote home and people stalking him.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by piginapoke)
    Its absolutely not shocking to anyone desensitised to its content by more modern films, but was outrageous at the time of its release.

I tend not to read too much into things like hidden messages, rather just enjoy the storyline. Its has some neat storytelling tricks, is amusing and has interesting content in my book. Nice soundtrack too, which I like in a film although its not crucial.

I can't say I've ever been offended by any film. I wouldn't want to watch it with my mother though.
    I liked the whole post modern thing...i.e the blending together of a non-predictable storyline with wacky language and a bit of the old "Ludwig van"....I think there is some moral to it though even if you chose to ignore hidden messages i.e is it right to mould somebody into society's beliefs or should everybody be entitled to free will

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by deary_ma_leary)
    kubrick only banned it in britain partly because of the gang violence comitted but also because Herts police recommended it considering he had kids living in a remote home and people stalking him.
    apparently, the Home Secretary of the time demanded a private viewing

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cobra01977)
    the first time i saw a clockwork orange i wasnt shocked, but plesenly surprised by the fierce brutality of the film, i think that gives it a very good edge ovr similar films
    when they are kicking the crap outta that other gang is a classic bit of "ultra-violence"

ReputationRep:
    apparently, the Home Secretary of the time demanded a private viewing
    yes he wanted to know what it was that was so subversive and inciteful

ReputationRep:
    when they are kicking the crap outta that other gang is a classic bit of "ultra-violence"
    nice spamming there anyone like eyes wide shut? its a brilliant film

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheWolf)
    nice spamming there anyone like eyes wide shut? its a brilliant film
    right, right

ReputationRep:
    the use of ballet music to accompany a fight scene was pure genious I seem to recall, long time since I watched it now!

ReputationRep:
    Yes rather good, I'll admit to being confused by the ending in the first viewing!
    I haven't seen it but I know it is susposed to be another controversial film

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alaric)
    the use of ballet music to accompany a fight scene was pure genious I seem to recall, long time since I watched it now!
    yeah ... i know what you mean

ReputationRep:
    I haven't seen it but I know it is susposed to be another controversial film
    some people hate it, but im sure that all of them people dont understand most of the things the film is about

ReputationRep:
    to be fair most people dont enjoy films by really analysing and understanding the film, eyes wide shut is abit too subtle for a good saturday night movie with your mates and a bucket of popcorn

ReputationRep:
    Tell me about it, I try to get the moosus to watch things like that, but she insists on watching chick flicks, mainly starring Reese Witherspoon :rolleyes:
    you have to watch copious amounts of blonde stereotyping then...kinda like Hollyoaks....unbelievable concentration of blondes in Cheshire it would seem :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Tell me about it, I try to get the moosus to watch things like that, but she insists on watching chick flicks, mainly starring Reese Witherspoon :rolleyes:
    who is reese witherspoon?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alaric)
    Yes, that and Beethoven's 9th accompanying the rape scenes at the end. I can't hear that or "Singing in the Rain" without thinking of that film now. Fantastic film, but the book is better - the language comes across a lot more and it's even more quirky.

"I had done it all. And me only 15."

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.