Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Do you think there are ghosts or spirits about us? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hello!

I'm asking this because 2 years ago, my Grandad passed away from mesothelioma (it's a cancer caused by asbestos poisoning).

He was a carpenter and worked for the local council doing that. My Mum was recently chatting to her boyfriend (of 9 years -my Mum & Dad split up) about building a little roof cover thing over the front door. The next morning when my Mum went out into the garden, there were plans on a sheet of paper for one.

My Mum was listening to the radio and on the radio, they read out a comment and said it was from someone who had the same name as my Grandad and is from the same location. My Mum left the tv on downstairs on a radio station and on came "Sailing" (the one that goes "we are sailing" by Rod Stewart - a song my Grandad liked, he loved going on cruises, and shares the same name with the signer- Rodney!

Also when my Mum was younger, at my Great Nan's house (my Great Nan passed away almost 3 years ago), my Mum thought she seen someone at the top of the stairs. I never got to know my Great Grandad but my Mum said she looked up the stairs and noticed a tall figure that was black - like a cape or something over it, or it was just covered in black, gradually blow around the corner like sand.

Years later when me and my Mum were visiting my Great Nan (we went every week),I must have been about 14 or so, I thought I seen someone upstairs. My Mum went up to see if anyone had broken in or something. There was no one up there. Later, I told my Mum I had seen something that was in a figure and looked like black sand slowly blowing away around the corner to where my Great Nan's old room was (before she started sleeping downstairs).

My Mum had never told me about this before, and when we were walking along, she looked amazed and was describing everything that I saw. I only ever saw it once but my Mum reckons that it was my Great Grandad - my Great Nan's husband, waiting/watching over for her. We only ever noticed it once, but on the day of my Great Nan's funeral when I looked up the stairs to see if there was anything, there was nothing, like they had both gone to heaven now.

Does anyone else believe in things like this?

ReputationRep:
    I'm sorry but I don't believe in ghosts. There's no tangible evidence for me to suggest otherwise. A lot of cases where people say they've contacted the dead or seen a ghost usually are very vague and similar descriptions 'i.e. A black figure in the distance, whispers, someone grabbed my leg etc'. They for me can be explained by coincidences, hallucinations, sleep paralysis and are usually self convinced.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by timmy-scott)
    Hello!

I'm asking this because 2 years ago, my Grandad passed away from mesothelioma (it's a cancer caused by asbestos poisoning).

He was a carpenter and worked for the local council doing that. My Mum was recently chatting to her boyfriend (of 9 years -my Mum & Dad split up) about building a little roof cover thing over the front door. The next morning when my Mum went out into the garden, there were plans on a sheet of paper for one.

My Mum was listening to the radio and on the radio, they read out a comment and said it was from someone who had the same name as my Grandad and is from the same location. My Mum left the tv on downstairs on a radio station and on came "Sailing" (the one that goes "we are sailing" by Rod Stewart - a song my Grandad liked, he loved going on cruises, and shares the same name with the signer- Rodney!

Also when my Mum was younger, at my Great Nan's house (my Great Nan passed away almost 3 years ago), my Mum thought she seen someone at the top of the stairs. I never got to know my Great Grandad but my Mum said she looked up the stairs and noticed a tall figure that was black - like a cape or something over it, or it was just covered in black, gradually blow around the corner like sand.

Years later when me and my Mum were visiting my Great Nan (we went every week),I must have been about 14 or so, I thought I seen someone upstairs. My Mum went up to see if anyone had broken in or something. There was no one up there. Later, I told my Mum I had seen something that was in a figure and looked like black sand slowly blowing away around the corner to where my Great Nan's old room was (before she started sleeping downstairs).

My Mum had never told me about this before, and when we were walking along, she looked amazed and was describing everything that I saw. I only ever saw it once but my Mum reckons that it was my Great Grandad - my Great Nan's husband, waiting/watching over for her. We only ever noticed it once, but on the day of my Great Nan's funeral when I looked up the stairs to see if there was anything, there was nothing, like they had both gone to heaven now.

Does anyone else believe in things like this?
    No, get that crap out of your head and focus on something that actually is important. Aka your education.

Your mother is showing signs of possible insanity.

ReputationRep:
    I don't believe in any of that stuff, there is no evidence to support the view that ghosts are among us.

ReputationRep:
    I've only ever had 2 "ghostly experiences", both in the same night years ago. I was asleep and woke up thinking someone was blowing on my face, like just hovering over me blowing on my face :-/ so I thought "it might have been the cat" but when I looked at my door it was closed so the cat wasn't in my room!
    That same night, I had fallen back asleep but woke up when it felt like someone had grabbed the end of my bed and started shaking it But when I looked, no one there!

The next morning my dad asked me if I had slept in the spare bedroom (I sometimes do) and then told me off for flicking the light switch on and off! Until I told him I hadn't gone in the spare room all night, and then told him about what the blowing on face and bed shaking incident!

I've never seen anything I thought might be a ghost though, or had any other weird experiences so I'm not really convinced about the existence of ghosts!

ReputationRep:
    Anything is possible.

ReputationRep:
    I've seen no evidence aside from coincidental evidence to convince me. Anyway, the ehole idea of ghosts raises a ridiculous number of issues -

What are they made of? If they are immaterial, how do people 'see' them?

Why do they only come out at night?

Does everyone become a ghost, or only a few?

Why are they only humans, why not other animals?

How can something immaterial affect material objects?

Why do they 'happen' to appear at notorious haunted places?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Willbean)
    No, get that crap out of your head and focus on something that actually is important. Aka your education.

Your mother is showing signs of possible insanity.
    Shutup mate and stop being such an ******** to everyone.

The only way I can believe in ghosts or spirits is by seeing/observing/witnessing, and even then I am aware that all of reality takes place in the mind so I could well be tripping my balls off.

trying to think if I've ever witnessed anything ghostly. . . nope...

ReputationRep:
    I don't believe in life after death, but in my life there have been unexplained things that could, I suppose, be considered 'supernatural' by some. I suppose it's impossible to say ghosts and spirits do or don't exist, but I'm not convinced that they do.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A Cat)
    Shutup mate and stop being such an ******** to everyone.

The only way I can believe in ghosts or spirits is by seeing/observing/witnessing, and even then I am aware that all of reality takes place in the mind so I could well be tripping my balls off.

trying to think if I've ever witnessed anything ghostly. . . nope...
    Then stop believing in superstitious nonsense.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    I used to believe in all of that when I was a kid thanks to shows like Most Haunted but now I am 20, nah I don't believe in it at all.

Personally, the thought of ghosts and spirits only works in horror movies, not reality.

ReputationRep:
    After losing several loved ones I want to believe that there's something after death just because it hurts so much to think of the people I've lost being gone forever, nothing left. I can't get my head around the fact that we are all thinking beings and then suddenly there's no thought, no nothing left.

My mother says it's gross, she says she "dun want no creepy dead bloke watching me on the toilet"

I know people who have had 'experiences' that I don't have explanations for. My only one was when my gran died three years ago, the grandfather clock stopped and it's never moved since :/ that sounds like a massive cliche My step fathers mum used to come over ours and say she couldn't get sleep because the ghost girl in her house was up to stuff like yanking her blanket across the room :/

But still the logical part of me always puts the hopeful part of me down...

ReputationRep:
    Humans can't imagine there being "nothing" after death because our brains don't have the slightest concept of the idea. Try and think of another colour. Similar thing.

I personally have never had a ghost experience. I would like to have one as I really want to believe in life after death. The thought of nothingness makes me sad.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.