Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone :-)

I am currently studying Zoology at Bangor University, I'm in my first year.

However although I've always loved animals, and been interested in them, I haven't enjoyed my first year much. I don't feel motivated by the course, I feel bored and generally just unhappy with it all. Another thing I think that possibly is effecting this is I live fairly close to home, about an hour away, and I find myself wanting to go home a lot, which I wish I didn't. I think I should have possibly moved further away!

Anyway, I've been thinking about what my options are, continuing with the course, quitting uni altogether, or doing a different course elsewhere.

I toyed with the idea of nursing a few years ago, I went to an open day and researched the course. My real aim would be to be a neonatal nurse as I love babies, and I really do feel it could be for me (it really 'gets' me!).

Anyway, the reason I never ended up pursuing it, and chose Zoology is because I am quite a shy person. I hate presentations and I chickened out when it came to nursing as I thought I'd buckle under the pressure of being assessed so much.

But now, I am beginning to feel I've possibly chosen the wrong course, and let my shyness stop me from doing what I really want to do.

I'm going to speak to a counsellor at my university to talk this through, and I don't really know what I am asking but I suppose I wanted to know any fellow nurses thoughts/ reassurance?!

Thank you :-)

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I know how you feel. My first degree was marine biology and zoology at Bangor which I didn't particularly enjoy all that much. I thought about dropping out in my 2nd year but decided to carry on because I was already half way through.

I'd have loved a job in the animal industry and looked far and wide for one but didn't get anywhere. I'd wanted to be a nurse in y11 when I was choosing my a levels but come y13 I decided on zoology!

I started work as a HCA a few years ago to make sure nursing was what I wanted and turns out it wasn't! I'm now in my first year of a radiotherapy degree.

What I'm trying to say is organise some work experience in nursing before making any drastic decisions.

Another option could be to transfer to an animal nursing course? I also considered this as a 2nd degree but couldn't afford it without any government help (ELQ rules).

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bubble87)
    Hi, I know how you feel. My first degree was marine biology and zoology at Bangor which I didn't particularly enjoy all that much. I thought about dropping out in my 2nd year but decided to carry on because I was already half way through.

I'd have loved a job in the animal industry and looked far and wide for one but didn't get anywhere. I'd wanted to be a nurse in y11 when I was choosing my a levels but come y13 I decided on zoology!

I started work as a HCA a few years ago to make sure nursing was what I wanted and turns out it wasn't! I'm now in my first year of a radiotherapy degree.

What I'm trying to say is organise some work experience in nursing before making any drastic decisions.

Another option could be to transfer to an animal nursing course? I also considered this as a 2nd degree but couldn't afford it without any government help (ELQ rules).

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thanks for your reply :-)

I see what you mean about getting experience. I'm not sure how I'd go about it, but it's definitely something I'd think about, as I know nursing is a very different degree to the one I am doing! My aim, as I said would definitely be neonatal nursing, it's something I've longed to do for about 4 years now but obviously to become a neonatal nurse you have to do adult/ children's nursing first.

Another thing is I hate needles! I really do! I can't have injections myself but my mum said that is something she's sure I'd overcome as I'd be using them every day, and would basically have to.

I'm just scared of making such a big decision. At the moment I'm really feeling Zoology isn't for me, but at the same time I'm know I'm technically in a good place, being an Uni, so don't want to make a wrong decision!

ReputationRep:
    You could try the hospital in Bangor? Not sure they would give you time on a neonatal unit but anything will be useful. The nursing department could probably give you a specific contact to get in touch with.

Experience in a nursery or primary school would look good on a children's nursing application too as its a pretty competitive course to get onto if you do decide to go for it.

As for needles, you might find that you're fine giving other people the injections!! I'm the other way round, fine with needles myself but I don't like using them on patients (to do the 'tattoos') lol.

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.