Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm 16 right now, 17 in August and studying my A levels. Next year I want to join the RAF Regiment as an officer but have heard lots of rumours that they basically won't accept 17/18 year olds because they don't have enough life experience. I love the sound of the Regiment officer because I am a natural leader, very confident and have all the skillsets. I was always set on the RAF and earning good money (£30,000 after one year). But because this role appeals to me so much does anyone have any advice or are there any equivalents in the army etc?

i don't want to go to Uni coz I don't want to be in debt and I hate sixth form as it is!
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Firstly, you do not join the Forces for the money. If you do, you'll not be happy at all.

Secondly, you want to APPLY to be an RAF Regt Officer. So, you need to make your application as strong as possible. You may be the next great thing in field leadership and they welcome you with open arms, but the odds are that you are not. If you think you want to apply at 18, you need to make damn sure that you have the very best qualifications you can have for your age.

I personally recommend that anyone seeking a commission in any Branch of the Armed Forces gets a degree first. It serves you better at the start, in the middle and when you are seeking promotion, and outside. Very few good reasons not to get a degree first if it is at all possible.

ReputationRep:
    I don't want to join for the money just to make it clear but I've always been set on earning good money.

next step to apply, but I can't yet as I'm 16/17 and don't have two A2 levels so when do you think I should apply? January next year? Or should I book into my AFCO ASAP?

I'm of course going to apply for University but I am not at all appealed by it, only the fact it can help me benefit in the forces.

ReputationRep:
    Bump

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kierandowson)
    I don't want to join for the money just to make it clear but I've always been set on earning good money.

next step to apply, but I can't yet as I'm 16/17 and don't have two A2 levels so when do you think I should apply? January next year? Or should I book into my AFCO ASAP?

I'm of course going to apply for University but I am not at all appealed by it, only the fact it can help me benefit in the forces.
    You won't be able to join until you'v got your A Levels, so concentrate on getting them first and foremost. When you start yr 13, then look at starting the application process.

In the meantime, do all that you can do prove you have leadership potential, develop whatever skills you possess and work on your fitness.

ReputationRep:
    Confidence is great but do consider how it comes across. Perhaps tone down your belief that you are a great leader and have all the skillsets - I have met some fairly talented leaders but have yet to meet one who would describe themselves as you do. Keep the confidence but maybe look to develop humility also?

ReputationRep:
    Interesting for JustWonderingWhy. I have always been a confident person, but maybe I exaggerated the point of great leadership, but I am just so determined to become a regiment officer, it's been a dream for a very long time.

so focus on my A levels then next year apply for RAF, hope for the best and that hopefully I'm one of the lucky few to get accepted!

ReputationRep:
    Next year I want to join the RAF Regiment as an officer but have heard lots of rumours that they basically won't accept 17/18 year olds because they don't have enough life experience.
    That's rubbish regardless of branch. OASC will select those who have the best potential to pass IOT and become a decent officer beyond that. Whether that person is an 18 year old or a 23 year old will not matter a jot.

What matters is meeting the selection criteria (including fitness), then impressing in the hangar, the classroom and the interview room at OASC (and keeping fingers crossed for the medical!)

ReputationRep:
    I'm 16 right now, 17 in August and studying my A levels. Next year I want to join the RAF Regiment as an officer but have heard lots of rumours that they basically won't accept 17/18 year olds because they don't have enough life experience. I love the sound of the Regiment officer because I am a natural leader, very confident and have all the skillsets. I was always set on the RAF and earning good money (£30,000 after one year). But because this role appeals to me so much does anyone have any advice or are there any equivalents in the army etc?

i don't want to go to Uni coz I don't want to be in debt and I hate sixth form as it is!
    You don't mention fitness anywhere, do you realise you also need an extremely high fitness standard to be RAF regiment?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Interesting for JustWonderingWhy. I have always been a confident person, but maybe I exaggerated the point of great leadership, but I am just so determined to become a regiment officer, it's been a dream for a very long time.

so focus on my A levels then next year apply for RAF, hope for the best and that hopefully I'm one of the lucky few to get accepted!
    That's good - confidence is absolutely something to hold on to. In my experience it is virtually essential for leadership. I think it is about being able to temper it slightly and showing that you have maturity and self-awareness to go along with it.

Best of luck.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by teasin_tina)
    You don't mention fitness anywhere, do you realise you also need an extremely high fitness standard to be RAF regiment?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    But let's not over-estimate it. We're talking good CV and decent strength not Olympian levels of performance. Probably more important is robustness, resilience and determination.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JustWonderingWhy)
    But let's not over-estimate it. We're talking good CV and decent strength not Olympian levels of performance. Probably more important is robustness, resilience and determination.
    Ever heard of PROC? http://www.raf.mod.uk/rafregiment/ca...coursepgac.cfm

I'm not over estimating the fitness at all, a good CV won't help you pass PROC!
    Regt Officers go through more intense physical training than other branches, Pers Officers (for example) don't have to pass PROC to get in! There is a reason the branch has been open so long, the guys just aren't passing all the hurdles.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by teasin_tina)
    Ever heard of PROC? http://www.raf.mod.uk/rafregiment/ca...coursepgac.cfm

I'm not over estimating the fitness at all, a good CV won't help you pass PROC!
    Regt Officers go through more intense physical training than other branches, Pers Officers (for example) don't have to pass PROC to get in! There is a reason the branch has been open so long, the guys just aren't passing all the hurdles.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Hi Tina, thanks for the link. I have heard of the PROC and, whilst I haven't done it, I have passed the Royal Marine equivalent. I have also been an infantry officer for a number of years and completed operational tours in the light infantry role.

I stand by my point that soldiering is more a matter of state-of-mind than supreme fitness. Functioning well despite a lack of sleep and carrying more than your bodyweight, contradictory as it sounds, is more about mental strength than anything else. Granted you have to be reasonably fit but this should not be exaggerated - it very often is.

P.S good CV = a decent heart and lungs, capable of processing oxygen well.

'a' good CV = a shiny bit of paper with your grades and work experience.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for all the advice.

I already am quite fit but when I apply next year I'll up my standards even more. I am very determined so will do my absolute best and hopefully pass selection.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JustWonderingWhy)
    P.S good CV = a decent heart and lungs, capable of processing oxygen well.

'a' good CV = a shiny bit of paper with your grades and work experience.
    Morale of the story, never skim read! My mistake and I apologise, a definite case of an admin minded person reading a fitness minded persons post! I never would've got that..

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to the armed forcesGuide to the Royal Air ForceA job in the Army

Featured recruiter profiles:

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick Link:

Unanswered Armed Forces Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.