Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys

I was wondering if anyone could tell me whether or not my GCSEs are good enough for Law at KCL/UCL/LSE.

English Language – A
    English Literature – A
    Maths – A*
    Media Studies – A
    Statistics- B
    History- A
    Chemistry- A
    Biology- B
    Physics- B

For A-Levels I'm doing Maths, Economics, History & English Lit

(Please only give genuine feedback)

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    What you want is compliments, not advice. Advice would be if you were applying to Oxbridge with those grades.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Patronum)
    What you want is compliments, not advice. Advice would be if you were applying to Oxbridge with those grades.
    Not really - those GCSEs are almost certainly way too low for LSE/UCL, and quite frankly applications to those two would be a complete waste.

The only thing that could make it worthwhile is if there were circumstances like illness or bad schooling.

LSE openly state:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Most have already achieved excellent GCSE grades including the majority at A* and A. The Law selectors consider not just the number of top GCSE grades that you have, but also your overall GCSE subject profile and regard the GCSE English Language grade, in particular, as a sound indicator of ability.

LSE are also known for being very harsh on GCSEs due to the lack of interviews and similar AS-levels from applicants.
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki...king_Page_2013
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki...age_2012_Entry
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki...age_2013_Entry
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki..._Stalking_Page
    Look at those four for an idea of the quality of applicants to LSE/UCL.

(Original post by Adz57)
    Hi guys

I was wondering if anyone could tell me whether or not my GCSEs are good enough for Law at KCL/UCL/LSE.

English Language – A
    English Literature – A
    Maths – A*
    Media Studies – A
    Statistics- B
    History- A
    Chemistry- A
    Biology- B
    Physics- B

Thanks
    OP, you could still stand a chance at KCL if you get strong AS-levels (AABB+). Have a look here to see a few people who got in with 1-2 A*s http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki..._Stalking_Page
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by example96)
    he/she has got a majority of A/A* grades -_-
    Yes, but that wasn't all they said. They mentioned considering the number of top GCSE grades you have, and the English Language grade. His GCSEs are well below what would merit a fighting chance, and there is no point in sugar coating it as otherwise he'll end up wasting two applications.

plenty of people get into oxbridge with similar gcses as you. as long as you can display passion for your subject in your personal statement, and you're backed up by 3/4As at AS Level then you'll be fine
    No they don't, and no you won't. Very very few people get into Oxbridge with those GCSEs without exceptional circumstances. Practically everyone at interview has 3/4 As at AS-level, too. By your logic, ~90% of applicants will be fine if they write a good personal statement, and this is clearly untrue.

Given that you haven't even applied to university yet, you really cannot comment on admissions, especially on something which will impact someone's life enormously.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adz57)
    Hi guys

English Language – A
    English Literature – A
    Maths – A*
    Media Studies – A
    Statistics- B
    History- A
    Chemistry- A
    Biology- B
    Physics- B

Thanks
    What proportion of pupils at your year 11 school received 5 or more A*-C grades?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Polymath)
    Very very few people get into Oxbridge with those GCSEs without exceptional circumstances
    well thats bull considering most of your oxbridge application is based on the interview, which you have a good chance of being offered as long as you have a good set of gcses and a very good ps.

(Original post by The Polymath)
    Given that you haven't even applied to university yet, you really cannot comment on admissions, especially on something which will impact someone's life enormously.
    well ive never been prime minister either, does that mean i can't offer a political opinion?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by example96)
    well thats bull considering most of your oxbridge application is based on the interview, which you have a good chance of being offered as long as you have a good set of gcses and a very good ps.
    well ive never been prime minister either, does that mean i can't offer a political opinion?
    You said that plenty of people get into Oxbridge with those GCSEs. Can you back up that statement?

I haven't met or heard of a single person who got into Oxbridge with 1 A* at GCSE without exceptional circumstances such as bad health, family death/illness, or attending a bad school.

From looking at two years of stalking pages from both Oxford and Cambridge, spanning hundreds and hundreds of applicants, I can't find a single person who got in with 1 A*.

1 A* at GCSE is not considered a good set of grades by Oxbridge, and so your point "most of your oxbridge application is based on your interview, which you have a good chance of being offered as long as you have a good set of gcses and a very good ps" is irrelevant (and also completely wrong).

Around 13% of successful applicants at Oxford have less than 5 A*s at GCSE - the majority achieve 8 or more. The average across Oxbridge is around 7-8.

ReputationRep:
    OP, i'm a kcl law student with very similar gcses to you.

lse basically told me not to waste a slot when i rang up and asked admissions about my gcses. ucl rejected me (and i was a post-a level applicant with AAAAa (before the days of A* at a level)) but i haven't specifically heard of ucl zeroing in on gcses, so it could have been something else.

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.