Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Who has had the amazing yet emotionally crippling experience of reading a John Green book?

Looking for Alaska was the first one I read and it's one of the few books I've properly cried about (lame I know). I just felt an attachment to Alaska and then it happened so quickly.

The Fault in Our Stars wasn't so bad, I don't know why. I guess because a death was inevitable with the book being focused around cancer patients.

By the time I read Paper Towns I realised that John was evil to his characters so an unfortunate loss is predictable, glad there was no death though.

ReputationRep:
    He's one of my favourite authors now. I got Looking For Alaska last christmas and have now read all of them. I really liked TFIOS though, even though the death was alway going to happen i still ended up crying more than once...

ReputationRep:
    only read TFIOS, brilliant book need to get hold of Looking For Alaska

ReputationRep:
    I've read a few of his works, expecting them to be amazing, but if I'm completely and totally honest I think he's quite overrated. They're not as good as everyone makes them out to be.

ReputationRep:
    Hmm, that's kind of true I guess, a lot of his readers are already fans of him because of Youtube so I guess their opinions are quite biased.

ReputationRep:
    Read Looking for Alaska, Paper Towns and An Abundance of Katherines. Liked the first two, especially Looking for Alaska a lot really. Abundance of Katherines not so much. Reading the Fault in Our Stars.... So far I'm not liking it at all

Really wanna read a book like Looking for Alaska, I loved the setting and the environment, felt like I was really living there and I pictured a picturesque country, hot summers day location. The plot wasn't the best however the characters were awesome. Are there any books similar to that?

ReputationRep:
    I can't think of any books that I've read that are similar to Looking for Alaska really, they probably exist I just don't know them sorry

ReputationRep:
    I read TFIOS and at the time of reading it I didn't know who he was just that my friend was a big fan and I was bored on a school trip and could do with a new book on my kindle.

I'm a sucker for romance so it was my kind of book and the first interaction between Augustus and Hazel had me won over. It is a brilliant book but it seems to be the only book of his that I really got into...which is sad because he really is a brilliant writer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by itsmyname)
    Read Looking for Alaska, Paper Towns and An Abundance of Katherines. Liked the first two, especially Looking for Alaska a lot really. Abundance of Katherines not so much. Reading the Fault in Our Stars.... So far I'm not liking it at all

Really wanna read a book like Looking for Alaska, I loved the setting and the environment, felt like I was really living there and I pictured a picturesque country, hot summers day location. The plot wasn't the best however the characters were awesome. Are there any books similar to that?
    I thought Stephen Chbosky's The Perks of Being a Wallflower was pretty similar to Looking for Alaska, actually! I like John Green, I really do, but The Fault in our Stars is definitely not something I'd read again.

ReputationRep:
    I hate this John Green guy, I can't tell you how many tears I've shed over his books.

I loved LFA & TFiOS, both made me cry for ages (I'm really soft haha), really liked Paper Towns too. An Abundance of Katherines and Will Grayson Will Grayson were both okay, but I didn't love them like LFA.

As an aside, I'm really not looking forward to the film version of TFiOS (although I will, of course, have to go and see it). I'm worried that they're going to ruin it, and the actress for Hazel just doesn't fit my image of her at all.

ReputationRep:
    I think it'll be a similar situations to the hunger games, although the casting for that was alright the actual movie was so rushed it didn't turn out as I'd hoped.

For me the Augustus actor isn't what I'd picture him to be ... Let's hope they don't ruin another of my favourite books

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Squidgy)
    I think it'll be a similar situations to the hunger games, although the casting for that was alright the actual movie was so rushed it didn't turn out as I'd hoped.

For me the Augustus actor isn't what I'd picture him to be ... Let's hope they don't ruin another of my favourite books
    Unusually for me, I actually really enjoyed the 'The Hunger Games' movie! I was a bit disappointed with the lack of emotion within it, but as films of books go, it was pretty good!

Not a huge fan of the Augustus actor either, if it's terrible I might genuinely cry. Who invented film adaptations?!

ReputationRep:
    I'm getting a tattoo with a line from Looking For Alaska!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kategreen38)
    I thought Stephen Chbosky's The Perks of Being a Wallflower was pretty similar to Looking for Alaska, actually! I like John Green, I really do, but The Fault in our Stars is definitely not something I'd read again.
    Saw the movie, not really interested in that. Blasphemy, I know

ReputationRep:
    He's over rated. Looking For Alaska was a terrible book. TfIoS, whilst I enjoyed the initial read, I quickly loathed the characters when I read it again.

ReputationRep:
    His books are great teen fiction for sure, he writes incredibly well in terms of conveying emotion for teenagers. I think people do make a bit too much of a big fuss out of his books, he's still good though.

ReputationRep:
    Will Grayson, Will Grayson is an amazing book! It is probably my favorite book by him.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crystal-delusion)
    Will Grayson, Will Grayson is an amazing book! It is probably my favorite book by him.
    I've never read that one... isn't it only half written by him though?

ReputationRep:
    I finished an Abundance of Katherine this morning and was really disappointed with the ending. Thoroughly loved TFIOS and Looking for Alaska though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Squidgy)
    I've never read that one... isn't it only half written by him though?
    Yeah, it's written by John Green and David Levithan. It's amazing, I defiantly recommend you to read it !

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.