Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    How many soft options should you really be doing at GCSE, i know it's better to do academic subjects but most people will take some sort of less academic choice i.e Art or Drama which i think is a nice break but what do you think is the right amount to take? Thank you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Popstudent78)
    How many soft options should you really be doing at GCSE, i know it's better to do academic subjects but most people will take some sort of less academic choice i.e Art or Drama which i think is a nice break but what do you think is the right amount to take? Thank you
    I think it's best to choose 1 but it really doesn't matter at GCSE as long as your doing well at the more traditional subjects then it shouldn't matter

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

ReputationRep:
    Honestly, having a lot of soft options at GCSE doesn't matter. Sixth forms, universities and employers look at the grades, not the subjects

But like you said, having a less "academic" choice does give you a break. I do all 'academic' subjects apart from ICT, and it does serve as a nice break (but it's 100% coursework so it's time-consuming! )

ReputationRep:
    I do Drama, but I disagree when people call it a soft option. You have to be very good at it to achieve a high grade. Same goes for Music and Art.

ReputationRep:
    Please, when I chose to do Art GCSE, I wasn't doing it because it was a "soft option". Art is one of the most time consuming and difficult subjects there is to do. I chose it because I liked the subject.

And what constitutes as a "soft subject"? Having to do a humanity, I chose history over geography, and it's an easy subject, of which, I consistently get high marks.

There is no limits to the amount of "soft subjects" you can do, purely because it's your choice and no one can tell you what to take.

As long as you enjoy the subject, and feel you'll be able to achieve good grades at GCSE, you should take it. Employers care about the grade, not the subject.

ReputationRep:
    I think it's nice to take one, because in the future they'll look at the grades more than anything.

I do ICT and BTEC Dance.

There's a lot to do, but it's fun and I guess it doesn't really involve a lot of hard brain work if that makes sense.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Popstudent78)
    It doesn't really matter in terms of amount as long as you've got all the traditional subjects in. Having a creative subject like art, music, drama etc shows you to be an all-rounder - you can do the traditional subjects which will help you but you can also be creative.
    Having said that, I wouldn't do any more than one or two 'soft' options. You should also only do them if you're good at them - for example you may want to take drama but if you can't act it would be better to take a traditional subject that you're really good at. At the end of the day it's the grades that matter on your CV, although having a good balance of subjects look good too.
    Sorry that wasn't at all well explained but hopefully you managed to get some sense out of it!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the comments so far, i would also like to say that i agree, I think subjects like Drama, Music or Art are not soft at tall but after all their not academic either. But it does differ from each person. I think these subjects are hard to get a good grade in you can easily get a C but getting an A is alot tougher especially in Art, it's challenging on the creative side of things which is always impressive to anyone.

ReputationRep:
    You have no idea how much I wish Drama was a soft option because the work load there is actually quite huge. Sure, I think that at AS level - it is pretty nice going, not that hard at least just CW, a play review and a final performance...oh and a monologue and at GCSE I am inclined to believe that it is easier.

But at A level it gets tough. I mean you have to devise and then there is a massive amount of CW and then there is a concept of a play, an ACTUAL exam which I still can't get my head around, learning a ton of rehearsal techniques...and loads more that I can't be asked to write down.

I don't think there is a soft option.

The amount of work my friend has done for Art and the fact that her teacher thinks she's only just got an A is craaaazy. Music sounds so flipping hard, I'd never want to do that even if I do consider myself quite musical and yeah... Sorry to break it to you but there aren't soft options anymore. Geography isn't just colouring anymore, ICT isn't just spreadsheets and Drama isn't just pretending to be tree.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.