Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

I have my English Lit exam on the 20th May and I'm studying Lord of the Flies and Of Mice and Men. It's 90 minutes long and we're supposed to spend approximately 45 minutes on each question.

I'm taking this subject for A-level (as of September) and I'm getting extremely stressed about the exam.

I'm okay at analysing texts, I've done quite well in my controlled assessments and I managed to scrape an A in my poetry exam last year. However, I'm awful at writing essays under pressure; it's not that I don't know enough about the texts, it's just that I end up writing all of my ideas in the first paragraph and I repeat myself a lot. I also tend to go off topic, lose concentration, and then run out of time.

None of my practice essays seem to have any structure and I went 10 minutes over the time limit in the only one I actually managed to complete.

If anyone could share advice on how to plan efficiently yet quickly and keep my writing precise and effective, I'd be very grateful :-)

(The questions are usually along the lines of: "What methods does Golding use to present present *insert theme or character here*?; Explore the importance of two of the following settings *insert list here*.

For OMaM you're also asked how the author presents a certain character or theme, except you're given a short passage from the novella and a part B where you're encouraged to discuss the time setting - The 1930s Depression - and make links to how this might have affected the character or theme in question. Each question is worth 30 marks)

Simple thing is ISOLATE each point in your head, and then write then in a spidermap or whatever before you start. Always plan. I thought it was a waste of time, but it keeps your writing sharp and focused.

I did this exam in June and I did Of Mice And Men all I did was practice papers and contiously did this to give to my teacher and worked out well got a B. Trust me its simpler once doing loads of papers also the past 2 questions were quite basic, easy for some reason well for the inspector calls section anyway lol but Of Mice And Men I found was quite difficult.
How are you feeling about your exams?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.