Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Where would you go to study Philosophy?

I've gotten offers from

Durham (33 points)
    Essex (32 points)
    Warwick (37 points)
    York (36 points)

I'm mostly interested in analytical philosophy and philosophy of mind, and would like a career in academia (is that even possible without going to Oxbridge?).

ReputationRep:
    I would appreciate it if you could give me a reason for why you vote what you vote for...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Linda)
    I would appreciate it if you could give me a reason for why you vote what you vote for...
    warwick - it is growing to become one of the best universities in europe

ReputationRep:
    OK...well out of all of those Warwick is the most respected for philosophy, it has the largest department, widest range of research areas. Not all analytic, although the Phil of Mind lecturer I spoke to there seemed very nice.

Essex has possibly the next best rep for philosophy specifically, although the worst overall rep out of the 4.

York is v.nice, the philosophy department there seem committed to teaching - they make an effort to have tutorials rather than seminars in many modules.

Durham is also good for phil, though I couldn't tell you any more than that. That said, if you're looking at PPE, I'd advise against Durham for that reason. Their politics and economics departments are small and not the best (see RAE scores). Certainly there is a stark difference when you compare them to, say, Warwick.

HTH.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by llama boy)

Durham is also good for phil, though I couldn't tell you any more than that. That said, if you're looking at PPE, I'd advise against Durham for that reason. Their politics and economics departments are small and not the best (see RAE scores). Certainly there is a stark difference when you compare them to, say, Warwick.

HTH.
    I originally applied for PPE but have asked to change to just philosophy, haven't gotten any answers yet though.

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.