Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Does Hip-Hop music and culture Empower or Objectify women? Watch

ReputationRep:
    So in a lot of Hip Hop and Rap music, misogynistic themes and lyrics are present. For example, Ray-J has recently released a song titled 'I hit it first' about Kim Kardashian and Kanye West, with Kim K being the 'it'.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    For those that don't know, Ray-J is the guy in the Kim Kardashian sex tape.

Throughout hip hop culture, women are seen very much as items; sometimes they are seen as furniture, sometimes they are seen as trophies.
    So there's the thing, sometimes women are seen as prized possessions.

Women have been integral to the evolution of Rap music, inspiring form, style, and technique.

I think this is an interesting point of discussion. So yeah, discuss!

ReputationRep:
    'I got no pick up lines, I stay on the grind, I tell the hoes all the time, ***** get in my car"

Seems legit.

ReputationRep:
    It doesn't empower women obviously because being called a '*****' isn't very empowering and that's the sort of language you get with most rappers (especially the YM artists).

I also think the N word should stop being used so much by black rappers. It's kind of discriminating.
    I heard a story about a white guy being beat up because he was listening to a song with the N word in it :rolleyes: It's like the rappers doing this are saying, 'this music is only for this race, deal with it.'. Financially, it's also a bad move because, ultimately, it does affect the audience they can reach.

ReputationRep:
    A little snippet of Tricia Rose from the I² hip-hop debate.

ReputationRep:
    There is probably a bit of both going on.

Does it encourage negative views towards women? absolutely yes.

Does it empower some women? absolutely yes.

I'm sure Kim doesn't mind being called 'it' if she gets to be in a music video and remain famous as a result.

ReputationRep:
    Although I listen to a lot of hip hop, I'm not really exposed to much hip hop culture (this kind anyway), so I can't really say.

As with most issues of sexism however, I don't think it's an issue purely about women, it affects both genders. The culture, along with grime culture, promotes the whole "Men are only worth as much as they have sex, and women only worth as much as Men want to have sex with them", or something to that effect.

So it's great if people are willing to partake in that kind of culture. Outside of that however, it promotes extreme gender roles.

ReputationRep:
    I'm only interested to see if anyone can successfully argue that hip hop "empowers" women. Jesus. This'll be interesting...

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 13, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.