Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

History AQA Tsarist Russia 1855-1917 watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys, any predictions for the exam on Tuesday? I really want the reforms to come up but they were asked in 2012 I think What do you think is likely to be asked?

ReputationRep:
    think question 1 might actually be reforms (remember the only thing they really ask about for question 1 is reform, serfs and opposition, the only time it's been different was in 2010 when they asked about industrialisation). In January they asked about emancipation and opposition so I think it might be opposition and reforms.
    Question 2 I think might be oppostition (or how they dealt with it) and revolution or Stolypin. Opposition in some form tends to come up quite a lot for question 2 and Stolypin and the 1905 revolution haven't come up for quite a while. In January they asked about Duma's and economic modernisation so I don't think they'll ask about Duma's again but the economy may come up in some form.
    For Question 3 I'm thinking the October revolution will definitely come up. It seems to in almost every paper (the only time it hasn't come up in recent years was in the January 2012 paper. January's 12 Mark question for question 3 was pure evil so I'm hoping it might be nicer this time though what it will be on I'm not certain. But I think revolution and the abdication might come up in some form but question 3 is hard to predict as they main bulk of the section is the October revolution and the build up to it with the Provisional government.
    These predictions are purely based on past questions and I'm not saying these will definitely come so just revise EVERYTHING in detail.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I reckon Question 1 the reforms will definitely come up, and Question 3 the 1917 Revolution will come up in some form!

ReputationRep:
    Do you think there will be a question about the duma's because i hate that topic

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rebecca161095)
    Hi guys, any predictions for the exam on Tuesday? I really want the reforms to come up but they were asked in 2012 I think What do you think is likely to be asked?
    Reforms is usually really common, from the papers i've done

ReputationRep:
    hey guys, im doing this also! hows revision going?

i got a decent grade in my mock, 62/72 and that around 95 ums...though should have been more !

any more predictions?

ReputationRep:
    Does anymone have the Jan 13 markscheme? It would be a huuuuuuge help!!

thankyouuu

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys

For the 12 mark questions i'm going to aim to write an intro, 3 reasons and a conclusion.
    However, for the 24 markers i'm not sure whether to include 4 factors or 5 factors. How many do you usually do?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jo7777)
    Hey guys

For the 12 mark questions i'm going to aim to write an intro, 3 reasons and a conclusion.
    However, for the 24 markers i'm not sure whether to include 4 factors or 5 factors. How many do you usually do?
    For the 12 marker My teacher gives a really good structure to base an answer. Most, if not all are a 'explain why' question.
    Therefore, suppose the question was 'explain why Tsar Alexander decided on a policy of reform?' You structure it by first outlining the long-term causes, i.e- politically socially and economically backwards, outdated methods, economy needed to be modernised. Some short-term factors like the problems of serfdom + peasant uprisings prior to the emancipation. And then the 'catalyst' factor which is probably the defeat in the Crimean war and then a short but descriptive conclusion.
    For 24 marker I suppose at the end of every paragraph you go back to the original question and whether you agree or disagree, this shows the examiner that you're not about to go on a waffling path.
    Hope this helps and good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zack_wilson)
    For the 12 marker My teacher gives a really good structure to base an answer. Most, if not all are a 'explain why' question.
    Therefore, suppose the question was 'explain why Tsar Alexander decided on a policy of reform?' You structure it by first outlining the long-term causes, i.e- politically socially and economically backwards, outdated methods, economy needed to be modernised. Some short-term factors like the problems of serfdom + peasant uprisings prior to the emancipation. And then the 'catalyst' factor which is probably the defeat in the Crimean war and then a short but descriptive conclusion.
    For 24 marker I suppose at the end of every paragraph you go back to the original question and whether you agree or disagree, this shows the examiner that you're not about to go on a waffling path.
    Hope this helps and good luck!
    Thanks, thats really useful Good luck tomorrow!

ReputationRep:
    How did everyone find it?
    I thought the questions were mostly fair.
    The last 24 mark question was a good one

ReputationRep:
    Please tell me i'm not the only one who didn't finish on time. The questions were absolutely perfect but the time limit is just ridiculous. How can they feed us soo much content and expect us to finish in that time? Anyways, I did the first two and the last two. Can anyone tell me what they wrote for the question on 1881-1904 about how far the tsarist regime was strengthened?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zack_wilson)
    Please tell me i'm not the only one who didn't finish on time. The questions were absolutely perfect but the time limit is just ridiculous. How can they feed us soo much content and expect us to finish in that time? Anyways, I did the first two and the last two. Can anyone tell me what they wrote for the question on 1881-1904 about how far the tsarist regime was strengthened?
    I didn't finish either! I chose the same questions as you. I basically wrote about the Okrahana and Land Captains under the reign of Alexander III (only lightly because i didnt know much in his repression) but generally said he didnt succeed as he simly pushed Marxist Circles underground which made them more dangerous. But I don't think I did particularly well because I didn't finish.

For the question about Keresnky's weaknesses do you think I would have gotten marks for
    FOR:The summer offensive
    FOR: His reaction to the Kornilov affair
    AGAINST:The PG was doomed from the start
    AGAINST:Bolshevik propaganda and Lenin's April Thesis and genius?

I'm know my points are basic but would you argue that they were valid? Thank you in advance

ReputationRep:
    The questions were so perfect, and that's why I'm annoyed! I did 1 and 3.
    This exam isn't about how much you know - I didn't have a lack of knowledge - It's just about how fast you cant write...

I only had time to write an intro, 3 paras and a conclusion for all of my essays, even the 24 mark ones! I really wanted an A, looks like I'll have to do really well in the source based paper.

ReputationRep:
    If I'm being optimistic... they were quite long paragraphs... :ashamed:

ReputationRep:
    The questions were so perfect, and that's why I'm annoyed! I did 1 and 3.
    This exam isn't about how much you know - I didn't have a lack of knowledge - It's just about how fast you cant write...

I only had time to write an intro, 3 paras and a conclusion for all of my essays, even the 24 mark ones! I really wanted an A, looks like I'll have to do really well in the source based paper.
    i'm exactly the same! the timing is ridiculous, hopefully the grade boundaries will be low and the source paper will be good

ReputationRep:
    I didn't finish either, wrote too much for Q1, enough for Q2, rushed Q3 and then tried to write enough for Q4. Hopefully my content will be up to scratch... Not sure I did well enough.

ReputationRep:
    Well at least we're all on the same boat.
    Hoping the grade boundaries will be low but I doubt it because people must have the same problem every year, and these were good questions.

ReputationRep:
    I did terrible, I chose the wrong question :/ I chocked, shattered all confidence I have for Stalin

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

ReputationRep:
    Well at least we're all on the same boat.
    Hoping the grade boundaries will be low but I doubt it because people must have the same problem every year, and these were good questions.
    I'm hoping that but to be honest 5 of the 6 questions were decent ones for me... If I were to re-sit them I doubt the questions would be as good and I'd still struggle with dividing my time!

The only other person sitting the exam where I took it didn't turn up, so hopefully I did better than 1 person!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: May 25, 2013
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.