The Student Room Group

Tesco Job Interview help

Hi Guys,

Got an interview as an assistant at a Tesco store this week. I was told by the person who called me that 5 other people would also be interview on the same day so I wanted to know whether it is a group interview or whether they conduct them individually.
Also, what questions do they ask you in the interview?

Thanks

Lucy x

Scroll to see replies

Varies from store to store but I've worked in two Tesco stores and both interviews were one-to-one.

They asked things like:

- why Tesco?

- Describe a time you have been put in a position of trust.

- Name a time a manager has introduced something you disagreed with, how did you react?

- Describe a time you have been disappointed and how you dealt with it.

- Describe a time you worked in a team to reach a target.

- Describe an example of good customer service.

Obviously these will differ from store to store as well, but generally always back everything up with an example. It is not enough to just say 'I work hard and am a team player', you have to provide evidence in the form of previous experience.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2
I had a group interview yesterday, it was quite fun actually. We had to demonstrate team skills by building a tower that stayed at 6 feet high for a minute, and also we drew a poster :smile: Free skittles too, woo! :biggrin:

Also, good luck :smile:
Hey, congrats on the interview!

I've been trying to apply for Tesco for the past year, and ever since they stopped accepting paper applications, the online system continually rejects me, despite changing my answers and reading them more carefully.

Just wondering if you all applied online too?
Original post by Chrisruptor
Hey, congrats on the interview!

I've been trying to apply for Tesco for the past year, and ever since they stopped accepting paper applications, the online system continually rejects me, despite changing my answers and reading them more carefully.

Just wondering if you all applied online too?

The new questionnaire is deliberately designed to weed out a lot of applicants so managers save time by not needing to short list.

In a branch i worked in, for example, there were under 200 applicants for one post, but only 8 passed the questionnaire and were subsequently interviewed.

They use automated software where 'fails' get out into one box (that aren't looked at by anyone) and these people will receive a rejection email quite soon after submitting their form.

People who pass are put in another folder and receive a vague email saying their application is being reviewed. People in this folder are likely to be contacted for interview (unless too many applicants have passed and then managers will short list from that group based on your other application data).

So, your questionnaire answers are the only important details in that initial stage.

As it's automated, theoretically people can 'test' their answers on vacancies in distant branches, and will find out within the hour whether they have failed or passed as the former will prompt a clear rejection email and the latter a vague 'application being reviewed'. This is a downfall of using automated systems as these people will slip through the net.
There is a Tesco job close to me, can u give me the answers that you put please.

have so far applied to 3 jobs and have tried various variations, but failed everytime.

The questions are :

*Question 15
A customer approaches you in the store and asks why they cannot find the product that they are looking for. The product has been discontinued and so the store cannot stock it anymore.

Answer A: Carefully explain the situation to the customer and recommend a similar product that the customer could use instead.
Answer B: Explain to the customer that the store does not stock the product anymore and that they can speak to Customer Services for more information.
Answer C: Tell the customer about another store where you think they might still be able to buy the product. Required! Select Answer Answer A Answer B Answer C

*Question 16
You are working at the checkout and have a growing queue of customers to serve. As you scan a product for a customer, you notice that it has been charged at full price although you know that it is on sale. The line manager you need to correct the price is currently helping another customer with a query.

Answer A: Continue scanning the rest of the customer’s shopping as you have other customers waiting.
Answer B: Finish the sale but tell the customer that if they speak to Customer Services they can be refunded the amount that they were owed.
Answer C: Apologise to the queue of waiting customers and alert your line manager to correct the price of the product. Required! Select Answer Answer A Answer B Answer C

*Question 17
You are shopping on behalf of a customer that has ordered online. One member of your team is away so you are busier than normal. You only have a short time before the order is due to be loaded in to the van. As you are about to take the order to the van a customer approaches you with a question about returning an item.

Answer A: Put the order safely to one side and walk with the customer to where the return can be made.
Answer B: Tell the customer where returns can be made and that a colleague will be able to help them.
Answer C: Tell the customer that you are not able to assist with returned items and that they should find a manager. Required! Select Answer Answer A Answer B Answer C
Original post by CaliphaMuhammad
There is a Tesco job close to me, can u give me the answers that you put please.

have so far applied to 3 jobs and have tried various variations, but failed everytime.

The questions are :

*Question 15
A customer approaches you in the store and asks why they cannot find the product that they are looking for. The product has been discontinued and so the store cannot stock it anymore.

Answer A: Carefully explain the situation to the customer and recommend a similar product that the customer could use instead.
Answer B: Explain to the customer that the store does not stock the product anymore and that they can speak to Customer Services for more information.
Answer C: Tell the customer about another store where you think they might still be able to buy the product. Required! Select Answer Answer A Answer B Answer C

*Question 16
You are working at the checkout and have a growing queue of customers to serve. As you scan a product for a customer, you notice that it has been charged at full price although you know that it is on sale. The line manager you need to correct the price is currently helping another customer with a query.

Answer A: Continue scanning the rest of the customer’s shopping as you have other customers waiting.
Answer B: Finish the sale but tell the customer that if they speak to Customer Services they can be refunded the amount that they were owed.
Answer C: Apologise to the queue of waiting customers and alert your line manager to correct the price of the product. Required! Select Answer Answer A Answer B Answer C

*Question 17
You are shopping on behalf of a customer that has ordered online. One member of your team is away so you are busier than normal. You only have a short time before the order is due to be loaded in to the van. As you are about to take the order to the van a customer approaches you with a question about returning an item.

Answer A: Put the order safely to one side and walk with the customer to where the return can be made.
Answer B: Tell the customer where returns can be made and that a colleague will be able to help them.
Answer C: Tell the customer that you are not able to assist with returned items and that they should find a manager. Required! Select Answer Answer A Answer B Answer C

I would say 15A/16B/17B
Reply 7
How did it go for you? I got the job at mine :biggrin:
Hello everybody, I had a group interview and also they called each individual back to take some details, this was at Tesco extra Middleton on Friday 5th. They said that they will be getting in touch with me within the next 10 days for you to come in and work on the shop floor to get a feel etc... Its been 4 days and I haven't heard anything however, I do still have a couple of days to left to wait, if I do not get a reply I will ring them up. Anybody else been in this situation, if yes, what happens next. Thank you everybody :smile:TTH
Reply 9
Original post by brightonlad89
The new questionnaire is deliberately designed to weed out a lot of applicants so managers save time by not needing to short list.

In a branch i worked in, for example, there were under 200 applicants for one post, but only 8 passed the questionnaire and were subsequently interviewed.

They use automated software where 'fails' get out into one box (that aren't looked at by anyone) and these people will receive a rejection email quite soon after submitting their form.

People who pass are put in another folder and receive a vague email saying their application is being reviewed. People in this folder are likely to be contacted for interview (unless too many applicants have passed and then managers will short list from that group based on your other application data).

So, your questionnaire answers are the only important details in that initial stage.

As it's automated, theoretically people can 'test' their answers on vacancies in distant branches, and will find out within the hour whether they have failed or passed as the former will prompt a clear rejection email and the latter a vague 'application being reviewed'. This is a downfall of using automated systems as these people will slip through the net.

I have been trying to apply for the last 2 weeks and keep getting the automated rejection e-mail... do they want you to get 100% in the questionnaire???!!

I've worked in customer service before and thought my answers were pretty good - but obviously not! - maybe I'm only getting 95% or something close to it... how annoying

Thanks for the clarification on how they do the sift, makes me feel a bit better and optimistic :smile:
Original post by nicky819
I have been trying to apply for the last 2 weeks and keep getting the automated rejection e-mail... do they want you to get 100% in the questionnaire???!!

I've worked in customer service before and thought my answers were pretty good - but obviously not! - maybe I'm only getting 95% or something close to it... how annoying

Thanks for the clarification on how they do the sift, makes me feel a bit better and optimistic :smile:

It's not quite 100% but almost. They've deliberately made it tricky to make short-listing less time consuming. A lazy approach and one that no doubt let's good people get rejected. Even my manager had a go and failed it.

Some answers are tricks -- the customer-pleasing answers are not always the correct ones as ma.y people assume. Think productivity as well.
Original post by electriic_ink
I would say 15A/16B/17B

There's seem to be a downside to every answer they let you choose
Reply 12
techno-thriller is correct, there's a downside to almost every answer

the trick is to vary your answers, most 'A' answers are similar and so are 'B' answers, each answers specifies a certain flaw, if you pick the same answer too many times you fail in that flaw
Tesco loves an excellent customer servic but they also want a quick service, so when you answer their questionnaire bare that in mind ..
Reply 14
I think I passed the questionnaire which led me to fill out my qualifications, previous employment, etc,but then got an email saying after careful consideration that they are rejecting me, any tip and advice or specific experience needed to get the job. 2 years ago I got offered a job from Sainsbury and Morrison's and chose Sainsbury due to higher salary but now I quit after 2 years felt bored, and wanted a higher salary which tesco does.
does anyone know what you put in the personal summary part of the application form? i have no idea what to put :colondollar:
Basically a personal statement :')
Reply 17
Got a group interview tomorrow, really nervous, any advices?
Reply 18
Original post by anon-t
Got a group interview tomorrow, really nervous, any advices?

Learn that advice doesn't has a s at the end.
Hi guys
I got a call from tesco inviting me to their interview for a morning session on a weekday.
Since i ve got school and a coursework on that day, I said im in full time education and that i wont be able to make it to the interview. I also made him aware about the time when i finish school and he said a few other people are coming to the interview on that day and he might give me a call later if its sorted.

Im really worried and sad that i cant attend the interview. Is there anything else I could've said? Help please

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending