Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

I'm just starting to drive, had my first session with the instructor today and loved it.

After several more sessions with the instructor, I know it's wise to go out and practise with an experienced driver, with L plates.

I'm just wondering whether I need to buy insurance before I am allowed to drive with one of my parents provisionally? Or will I be insured under their policy?

If anybody knows, that'd be great.

mark

ReputationRep:
    If you insurance your self on a parents car on provisional and stay on there for a year you get your no claims. But won't be cheap now days getting insurance on a provisional on a parents car

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    The driver aka you must be insurance if your going on road

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    its not worth it to be honest if you have an accident your pretty much f'ed after you get your license hardly anyone will insure you because you already had an accident before getting your pinky even then it will be very high

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by marksmith34)
    Hi all,

I'm just starting to drive, had my first session with the instructor today and loved it.

After several more sessions with the instructor, I know it's wise to go out and practise with an experienced driver, with L plates.

I'm just wondering whether I need to buy insurance before I am allowed to drive with one of my parents provisionally? Or will I be insured under their policy?

mark
    If you want to practice driving in your parents car, you need to be insured as a named driver on their policy. Obviously you will have to tell them that you have a provisional licence not a full one. I dont think it will be cheap though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by marksmith34)
    Hi all,

mark
    you have to be insured provisionally otherwise it'll be void i think

i started driving about a month and a half ago and got insured after about 3 weeks and it has been really good, my parents give me good tips about different situations that you haven't accounted with your instructor. If you do start driving with your parents, i found that after the first outing with my dad i had to set some ground rules cos he got really angry if i messed up which stressed me out and resulted in me stalling 3 times at a set of lights, as he got gradually angrier :P and then i was petrified of driving without my instructor, but after a lesson i was fine again

hope that helps

ReputationRep:
    U can get insured for a certain amount of time aswell, like if u only wanted to practice in their car for a month or so (as insurence is expencive). i think i went with a company called colling wood. They were good and refunded me the remaining insurence costs that i didnt need after i passed.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    If you got a older sister it may be cheaper to be added as a learner driver to there's. Mine cost me £20 p/m when I was driving to be on my sisters and she was 2 years older then me. (It was scarey to drive a car that was officially 3 days old)

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.