Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,
    Does anyone have or could possible work through the solution to the following question for me:
    Not sure if the links working so I'll type it out:

"point E has coordinates (5,k). Given that CE has length 5 find the two possible values of the constant k"

Part c is the part I'm stuck on and I just feel like im missing something, the mark scheme really isn't helping either, I have my exam tomorrow so any help would be very much appreciated thank you
    Attached Files
  1. File Type: docx Jan 2011 Q3.docx (217.5 KB, 92 views)
    • Study Helper

Study Helper
    (Original post by Science94)
    Just use the formula for the length of a line based on the co-ordinates of the end points. You'll get a quadratic in k, and solve.

ReputationRep:
    what do you do with the 5 though? do you square it to 25 or leave it as 5? and then do you bring it to the other side with k?
    could someone do a worked solution for me please?

ReputationRep:
    well you know that the point c is (2,-7), to get to the point (5,k) you have to go along 3

If you go along 3 you have to go up or down 4, to make the total distance 5 (3,4,5 triangle)

so k either = -7 + 4, or -7-4, so k = -3 or -11

let me know if that makes sense

dont know about quadratic method, seems over complicated
    • Study Helper

Study Helper
    what do you do with the 5 though? do you square it to 25 or leave it as 5? and then do you bring it to the other side with k?
    could someone do a worked solution for me please?
    5^2= (5-2)^2+(k-(-7))^2 using the co-ordinates of C and E.

We don't generally do fully worked solutions on here - see the forum guidelines if you want to know why.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ghostwalker)
    5^2= (5-2)^2+(k-(-7))^2 using the co-ordinates of C and E.

We don't generally do fully worked solutions on here - see the forum guidelines if you want to know why.
    oh okay where does the square root sign go though? as I think this was why my answer was coming out dodgy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amber May)
    well you know that the point c is (2,-7), to get to the point (5,k) you have to go along 3

If you go along 3 you have to go up or down 4, to make the total distance 5 (3,4,5 triangle)

so k either = -7 + 4, or -7-4, so k = -3 or -11

let me know if that makes sense

dont know about quadratic method, seems over complicated
    yeah that makes perfect sense and is much simpler that the method we have been taught, thank you
    • Study Helper

Study Helper
    oh okay where does the square root sign go though? as I think this was why my answer was coming out dodgy
    You don't need the square root sign, as we've used Pythagoras, and rather than square rooting, we have squared the length CE on the lefthand side.

Edit: Amber May's method works nicely because you have a nice 3,4,5 triangle, but you do need to know the quadratic method, or equivalent, as you're not guaranteed to get such a nice example.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ghostwalker)
    You don't need the square root sign, as we've used Pythagoras, and rather than square rooting, we have squared the length CE on the lefthand side.
    oh right, I see. I must be merging the two different formula in my head, Thank you both ever so much I always struggle with these and I knew if I didn't sort it and one came up I would be really annoyed at myself.
    Right gonna go do some similar questions, thanx again

ReputationRep:
    i haven't been taught this quadratic method as such, but basically what you are doing is writing the equation of a circle, with center the point you are given and radius the distance, then substituting in x

makes sense i suppose, especially when you draw it
    Name:  maths.png
Views: 160
Size:  18.2 KB

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.