Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Intrusive Thoughts/ Feelings watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Ok, I'm not sure if this is the right place to post, but I need someone who knows a bit about psychology.

Can reacting to intrusive thoughts/ feelings/ ideas become a problem,even if the reaction is emotional? Does this constitute a mental health problem? And does it take a long time to teach the mind to not react to these intrusive thoughts/ feelings if you have been reacting to them for a long time?

Thanks.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    I think it depends rather a lot on what the thoughts are/ how often you have them and how you react. Sometimes it can be part of a mental health problem but there will usually be other symptoms as well.

If you're having intrusive thoughts that are bothering you it's normal to react emotionally in some way. If the thoughts are bothering you there are some sites that may may better help you understand them and if they are a problem or not, Sane and Mind are two of them.

Remember the thoughts are in your head. They aren't necessarily real.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, does anybody else know anything? I would really appreciate some help on this.

ReputationRep:
    Have you considered the possibility of OCD(obsessive compulsive disorder). Everybody has weird intrusive thoughts, they could be anything from; committing violent/sexual acts,or, someone you know is going to die, etc, there are an infinite amount of different thoughts. However most people will not notice them as much as they are not worried about these sorts of things.For example someone who is worried they may become a paedophile (just an example) will consciously focus on any intrusive thought associated with sexual assault toward a child, not that theres any chance of them becoming one, its just the possibility they are frightened by.
    It doesn't matter about the content of the intrusive thoughts, they are just thoughts, they are perfectly normal.However if they still continue to make you very anxious then the chances are you have OCD which is very treatable with CBT(cognitive behavioural therapy). this means there is nothing wrong with, but you suffer from anxiety. Too help you find out about whether you may have OCD, research it and find a website called OCDuk.

You may already know all this, but if you didn't i hope this helps.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 15, 2013
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.