The Student Room Group

My friend shows me how truly shallow girls are!

Anon or delete

My friend is incredibly good looking. He looks after himself, he works out, eats healthy etc. However the way girls react towards him is astonishing! I've known him for years and its the same everywhere we go.

Besides the whole eye-raping, girls almost go crazy over him as if he's some sort of celebrity! Here are some instances which baffle me to this day:

- Girls with boyfriends constantly eye him up while they re with their boyfriends!

- When I go into a shop the shop assistants that welcome you always look past me and welcome him...even though I went in first!

-When I'm buying something at the till the shop assistants look at him the whole time!

- Sometimes girls from behind the bar come from working there and stand near him hoping he chats them up.

...there countless other things like that as I have known him for years.

It his not his fault he was born to look like that and to be fair he does look after himself but why do girls drop to their knees when a good looking guy comes into their vicinity? I find this behavioral very inferior and I have never done that type of thing when there is an attractive girl near.

Why do girls do this?

Scroll to see replies

Sounds like you're jelly brah.
I'm sick of hearing how "shallow" girls apparently are.

On the whole, boys are MUCH more shallow than girls.
Reply 3
I do admit I am jealous to an extent but over the years I've learnt to accept it and I do alright for myself.
Original post by Anonymous

Why do girls do this?

Don't be ridiculous, guys do this too. Obviously if he's extremely attractive he's going to get more attention than usual. It's like asking why a Ferrari makes heads turn and a Volvo doesn't.

Tbh you sound jealous.
Original post by Mycroft Holmes
Sounds like you're jelly brah.

true brah, do you watch dog the bounty hunter by any chance brah? :u:
Original post by Daniel George
true brah, do you watch dog the bounty hunter by any chance brah? :u:

Yah brah, back in the day when I had **** all to do.
Original post by Mycroft Holmes
Yah brah, back in the day when I had **** all to do.

Oh man! :shakehand: I know the feeling brah...
Reply 8
You're tarring all girls with the same brush, and yet you log complain when we say things like 'guys are d*cks' and 'all men are the same'

Most girls aren't 'shallow' as you say.
You can blame a girl for looking at someone, can guarantee most guys judge purely on looks and won't bother getting to know you if you aren't 'tidy' -_-

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
I think that whilst both sexes are as visual as each other in equal measures, I do think girls do make more of a fuss when they see a good looking person, as demonstrated by the behaviour listed above. You see them become a giggly mess, and don't stop going on about them with their friends when in groups.

Guys however will tend to just tell point out said girl to their mate, met usually with an acknowledging "Yeah, she's hot", and then get on with their day.
Reply 10
Original post by Maid Marian

Neither gender is more shallow.
Many are, but I wouldn't go so far as to say they're all the same.

However, it's no coincidence that once I dropped a couple stone, I was a tractor beam. :tongue:

And it's not as if we aren't shallow ourselves...
(edited 10 years ago)
EVERYONE is shallow. To be honest, what my flatmates have taught me is that girls are pretty likely to "objectify" each other as well, so to speak. The boys were complaining that we always go on about male actors and things (which we do) but then my brother and I also had a chat where we agreed that Emilia Clarke (aka Danaerys from Game of Thrones) is really hot. My friends and I are just as likely to point out if a girl is hot as a guy, we're just generally shallow. To paraphrase Scrubs "We appreciate hot, regardless of gender". And guys are the same, they just tend not to talk about it as much in front of girls (in my experience) because a hardcore feminist will start getting angry about how shallow they're being. At the same time though, if we know someone and they're nice and/or clever then we'll usually bring that up too. Eg. "I met such-and-such on the bus" "Aww, they're really nice, I like such-and-such" I think the reason people talk about appearance more is because that's what we see first. If you see someone on the street you're not going to be like "Oh my god he was so intelligent". Because you literally just saw him, you didn't speak to him, there was no interaction.

Edit: To reiterate this point, I left my room to discover my flatmates have decided we need to come up with a Top 25 hottest guys list, then we realised there were too many girls we wanted to include so now we have a top 25 girls as well. And both of my parents have a celebrity that the other one teases them about, which resulted in me being forced to watch Van Helsing thanks to my mum's love of Hugh Jackman and my dad's fondness for Kate Beckinsale. There was nobody for me. :/
(edited 10 years ago)
'shallowness' is an erroneous concept people go for looks based around evolution and natural human sexual attraction.
John !! is that you ?
Girls who metaphorically drop to their knees in the presence of a good looking guy are inferior and not worth anybody's time.

In fact, it is a rare occurrence that I give very good looking girls (especially those who are aware of that fact through their makeup and the way they dress) a second look.
Reply 16
It's not shallow. It's common sense. If an ugly girl and a hot girl walked in, who do you think I'm going to find more attractive? Though they should keep professional at work though.
Reply 17
Original post by Anonymous
Anon or delete

My friend is incredibly good looking. He looks after himself, he works out, eats healthy etc. However the way girls react towards him is astonishing! I've known him for years and its the same everywhere we go.

Besides the whole eye-raping, girls almost go crazy over him as if he's some sort of celebrity! Here are some instances which baffle me to this day:

- Girls with boyfriends constantly eye him up while they re with their boyfriends!

- When I go into a shop the shop assistants that welcome you always look past me and welcome him...even though I went in first!

-When I'm buying something at the till the shop assistants look at him the whole time!

- Sometimes girls from behind the bar come from working there and stand near him hoping he chats them up.

...there countless other things like that as I have known him for years.

It his not his fault he was born to look like that and to be fair he does look after himself but why do girls drop to their knees when a good looking guy comes into their vicinity? I find this behavioral very inferior and I have never done that type of thing when there is an attractive girl near.

Why do girls do this?

I think people in general are shallow, it isn't a case of just girls or boys are shallow. Surely you must have admired pictures of beautiful women in magazines or on t.v? If you've not, you're unlike any straight man I know. I'll admit I can appreciate gorgeous men, you just can't help but notice someone partiularly good-looking, its human nature!

I am happily in a relationship with my boyfriend and it doesn't bother him when i say such and such celebrity is gorgeous, he tells me which female singers and actresses he fancies all the time. But we both know that when it comes to love and relationships with real people we are commited to each other and would never cheat.

People are only shallow on the surface, when it comes to love and feelings, it really is their personalities that matter as apposed to looks :smile: your friend will probably have a hard time finding a genuine girl that won't judge him purely on looks! You also need to stop comparing yourself to him, it isn't a healthy habit and i bet you're not ugly, people just flock to him because he looks like a celebrity or something, as you said. A girl actually worth bothering about doesn't only look for an attractive face and body, she looks for a great personality and a loyal partner.
Reply 18
I think more people are going on about how shallow girls are these days (especially on TSR) because it's already been complained about for a while now that guys only care about looks. This a very typical stereotype, and true for some guys. However, when those same girls that complain about how shallow a guy is, turn around and drool over another guy/like him just for his looks, then it strikes alot of people as hypocritical.

The real truth is that when anyone comes across someone new, looks WILL factor into their judgement. This is less of an issue once you get to know them, but all you really have to go on with first impressions (especially if you haven't talked to them) is looks.

Original post by Maid Marian

One example of hypocrisy above. This post would have been good IF the user had said boys and girls are JUST as shallow as each other, BUT she essentially does the same thing the OP does.
Original post by Danz123
I think more people are going on about how shallow girls are these days (especially on TSR) because it's already been complained about for a while now that guys only care about looks. This a very typical stereotype, and true for some guys. However, when those same girls that complain about how shallow a guy is, turn around and drool over another guy/like him just for his looks, then it strikes alot of people as hypocritical.

The real truth is that when anyone comes across someone new, looks WILL factor into their judgement. This is less of an issue once you get to know them, but all you really have to go on with first impressions (especially if you haven't talked to them) is looks.

One example of hypocrisy above. This post would have been good IF the user had said boys and girls are JUST as shallow as each other, BUT she essentially does the same thing the OP does.

Even if the OP is right guys. What are you going to do about it OP aside from having a bitching session?

Quick Reply