Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'm going to the University of Leeds to study Maths at the end of this year (hopefully), and I just have a few questions:

1) What is the course structure like? Are there lots of essays to write or is it more just working on problems like in A level?
    2) Is there generally a range of different people on the course, such as sex and personality? The general view of maths students are geeky and mainly male, haha.
    3) What sort of things do I need to bring, such as stationary? How many folders, will I need a geometry set, etc.
    4) How much time is given to lectures and contact time?
    5) What areas of maths is studied in first year, is it basic stuff like algebra or things like proofs?

Thanks, and anyone who is starting the same in course in September HMU, would be nice to speak to some people doing the same course before we start.

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    The answers to practically all of your questions are within a few clicks of this link: http://www.maths.leeds.ac.uk/undergraduate.html

Just in case it wasn't blindingly obvious :rolleyes:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    1) "Degree courses" -> "Mathematics (BSc)" -> "Course structure" and "Course Description"
    4) "Teaching and Assessment"
    5) "Degree courses" -> "Mathematics (BSc)" -> "Course structure" -> "Year 1"

2) Come on, it's a Maths degree - it'll be mostly guys. It's ~83:17 at Cambridge, so probably 3-4:1 at Leeds?
    3) I couldn't say for sure, but an educated guess would tell me that you might as well bring a geometry set, plenty of paper and folders, a decent (and exam-legal) calculator, some pens and pencils etc.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks haha, and true, I suppose maths is a male oriented subject, wonder why.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Polymath)
    The answers to practically all of your questions are within a few clicks of this link: http://www.maths.leeds.ac.uk/undergraduate.html

Spoiler:
    Show
    1) "Degree courses" -> "Mathematics (BSc)" -> "Course structure" and "Course Description"

2) Come on, it's a Maths degree - it'll be mostly guys. It's ~83:17 at Cambridge, so probably 3-4:1 at Leeds?
    3) I couldn't say for sure, but an educated guess would tell me that you might as well bring a geometry set, plenty of paper and folders, a decent (and exam-legal) calculator, some pens and pencils etc.

Sorry for intervening but where did you get that data for Cambridge? Is there a gender ratio statistics for Cambridge courses?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by hassassin04)
    Sorry for intervening but where did you get that data for Cambridge? Is there a gender ratio statistics for Cambridge courses?
    http://www.admin.cam.ac.uk/reporter/...grad_stats.pdf

There might be a newer one out somewhere too, that's just the first one I found.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.admin.cam.ac.uk/reporter/...grad_stats.pdf

There might be a newer one out somewhere too, that's just the first one I found.
    Thanks for the link. It is 3:1 for maths for that year though =P
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by hassassin04)
    Thanks for the link. It is 3:1 for maths for that year though =P
    Yeah I noticed, the 83:17 was from a prospectus.

ReputationRep:

Spoiler:
    Show

75% at Cambridge sounds about right, I saw all these stats a while ago, Cambridge way out in front, Oxford was 66%, Bath 63, Durham 63. Warwick was like 70.

The less competitive ones tended to be high 50s, low 60s, some even less than 50. I'm guessing Leeds is 57 or something like that?

ReputationRep:
    Im from around there, you've made a good choice and I think the city is fab ! You'll love it - and settle up here immediately ( I hope ) lol . I went to the the ' university mathematics in perspective ' summer school in Leeds and they were awesome !

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Math.Goddess)
    Im from around there, you've made a good choice and I think the city is fab ! You'll love it - and settle up here immediately ( I hope ) lol . I went to the the ' university mathematics in perspective ' summer school in Leeds and they were awesome !

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Awesome! Are you going to uni next year? I see that you're doing maths an further maths, really gutted that my school didn't offer further maths in year 12, have to teach myself it now and my teacher won't let me do more than 3 units.:/

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Ohhh noo well you'll do it all at uni so no worries and I have self taught too ,the whole of Further maths and A2 maths- tbh it's more clearer when self taught . And I will be going this year ( I hope so lol) to Kings college London There's one thing that makes me a little nervous though and it's the thought of all nerdy geeky guys :/ haha

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Ohhh noo well you'll do it all at uni so no worries and I have self taught too ,the whole of Further maths and A2 maths- tbh it's more clearer when self taught . And I will be going this year ( I hope so lol) to Kings college London There's one thing that makes me a little nervous though and it's the thought of all nerdy geeky guys :/ haha

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Oh that's cool, I've taught myself FP1, D1 and M2 (started D1 and M2 on the 20th, exams on the 6th and 10th, whoops )
    Also I'm one of those geeky guys, though I don't think I'm TOO repulsive, I just like video games and other such stuff.:P I'm also shy, but not necessarily socially incapable. :L I know what you mean though, a lot of maths and physics students are nerdy but half of my maths and physics classes are made up of popular guys so. Also you'll meet people in halls and that so you'll see them in lectures. I'm still bummed that I haven't met anyone going to do maths and Leeds yet, I have these images of me sat there in a lecture hall with that token maths nerd picking his nose and wearing a bow tie.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    :0 Why did you start so late ?! Is your exam board edexcel ? M2 for me is on the 6th and then M3 on the 10th. And personally I think if you screw your head into M2 it can be done within a week.

And lool I meant the typical stereotype not particularly you hahaa and it's fine we all have out geeky sides .
    And Erase those pessimistic images ! Join a hell loads of society's and clubs! Plus society's and clubs within Leeds itself where you can meet people of the city rather than all university based . Whatever the weather you defo won't be lonely up here ( I hope so ) !
    I reckon most of my friends at uni will be from other subjects just like now at college haha

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    :0 Why did you start so late ?! Is your exam board edexcel ? M2 for me is on the 6th and then M3 on the 10th. And personally I think if you screw your head into M2 it can be done within a week.

And lool I meant the typical stereotype not particularly you hahaa and it's fine we all have out geeky sides .
    And Erase those pessimistic images ! Join a hell loads of society's and clubs! Plus society's and clubs within Leeds itself where you can meet people of the city rather than all university based . Whatever the weather you defo won't be lonely up here ( I hope so ) !
    I reckon most of my friends at uni will be from other subjects just like now at college haha

Posted from TSR Mobile
    No I'm just super good (bad?) at procrastinating, and so I ended up putting it off and off until I just thought one day 'crap I really need to get this done' :L And I'm doing OCR MEI, you?

And I have a few friends from school at the same uni so I know I'm not gonna be without anyone even in the unlikely event that I don't meet any friends. :P

PS mind if I add you as a friend on here?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Ohhh! Well you best get cracking- whats the date of your M2 ? And I'm doing edexcel .
    And sure no need to ask

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Ohhh! Well you best get cracking- whats the date of your M2 ? And I'm doing edexcel .
    And sure no need to ask

Posted from TSR Mobile
    10th, then C4 on 13th Haha And okay
    I'll add you when I go on laptop.:P

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    and ohhh you've plenty of time if its on the tenth - more than a week ! What other exams do you have ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    and ohhh you've plenty of time if its on the tenth - more than a week ! What other exams do you have ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Just D1 on the 6th, M2 on the tenth, C4 on the 13th and Physics on the 20th, plus an essay to write on integration for access to Leeds by the 31st of July. :L

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RyanAGTerry)
    Just D1 on the 6th, M2 on the tenth, C4 on the 13th and Physics on the 20th, plus an essay to write on integration for access to Leeds by the 31st of July. :L

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Ahh, not bad
    And an essay on integration is a really good choice you can write a hell load of stuff using content from FP3 /M3 ,in particular like finding the length of an arc , finding the area of a surface of revolution, reduction formulae , the centre of mass of a uniform lamina/ uniform solid of revolution all using integration . I just think it's applications etc are awesome ! Plus you'd probably get a better grade using that stuff even if your not doing it in your current studies

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.