Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So I was wondering if any of you can unicycle.

I started to learn last year for my Gold DofE and its a really fun sport. However apparently not enough people do it in the uk to have it recognized as a sport!

And if you do what do you find I ride a 20" and I'm oping to get a 24" after my exams have finished.

ReputationRep:
    I can

I ride a 20" and I'm thinking of getting a giraffe unicycle soon cause I've ridden one a few times and it was fun.

I know it really annoys me that it's not that popular, I know 3 other people that do it but to everyone else they seem to think it's only done at circuses. I go to a circus convention once a year but other than that there aren't really any places to meet other people who do it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Squidgy)
    I can

I ride a 20" and I'm thinking of getting a giraffe unicycle soon cause I've ridden one a few times and it was fun.

I know it really annoys me that it's not that popular, I know 3 other people that do it but to everyone else they seem to think it's only done at circuses. I go to a circus convention once a year but other than that there aren't really any places to meet other people who do it
    YAY!. I also ride a 20" hoping to buy a 24" after my exams. I've only learnt to unicycle recently so I still need to learn to freemount.

Is a giraffe hard? They look pretty cool.

I don't actually know anyone else who can and I wish I did.

I want to open up a unicycle club at my school I think It would be good to get more people involved as its certainly not just for ciruses. Do you go to the BUC?
    • PS Helper
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abbythesmall)
    So I was wondering if any of you can unicycle.
    I'm highly out of practice - I might take it up again, thanks for the reminder

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smaug123)
    I'm highly out of practice - I might take it up again, thanks for the reminder
    Yes. You certainly should Do you just ride or do trials?
    • PS Helper
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Yes. You certainly should Do you just ride or do trials?
    Just ride - a little 16" number, back when my legs were much shorter than they are now, so I might actually need to get a new unicycle if my old one's seat doesn't extend high enough! I learnt to free-mount on either leg, and to idle indefinitely on the right leg (but I kept falling off on the left). I had a page of the thresholds for some kind of qualification, but a quick search doesn't turn up anything - there were levels going up to maybe 12, and I could do most of the stuff on level 3, IIRC.
    How about you? You sound like a serious unicyclist…

ReputationRep:
    Just ride - a little 16" number, back when my legs were much shorter than they are now, so I might actually need to get a new unicycle if my old one's seat doesn't extend high enough! I learnt to free-mount on either leg, and to idle indefinitely on the right leg (but I kept falling off on the left). I had a page of the thresholds for some kind of qualification, but a quick search doesn't turn up anything - there were levels going up to maybe 12, and I could do most of the stuff on level 3, IIRC.
    How about you? You sound like a serious unicyclist…

Levels are here: http://www.unicycle.org.uk/freestyle/skills_levels

If you lived close by I'd be willing to buy your old one if you didn't Want it any more . You can buy a fairly cheap unicycle and there not to bad.

I really enjoy unicycling and only started to do more of it recently. As i've only be riding a year. I can't really do much and I still need to learn to free mount. :/

But I really enjoy it and wanted to learn to do tricks and stuff as well.

ReputationRep:
    I was thinking to get one, but I really don't want to order one from the online shop. I think it's better if I get the feeling of it before I buy. Where did you buy yours? Any good shops in London?

ReputationRep:
    The one I've got I got of ebay for £16. I didn't get to try it out. I've no idea if there are any shops in london but you'l get the most choice online.
    • PS Helper
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Levels are here: http://www.unicycle.org.uk/freestyle/skills_levels

If you lived close by I'd be willing to buy your old one if you didn't Want it any more . You can buy a fairly cheap unicycle and there not to bad.

I really enjoy unicycling and only started to do more of it recently. As i've only be riding a year. I can't really do much and I still need to learn to free mount. :/

But I really enjoy it and wanted to learn to do tricks and stuff as well.
    Oh yes, they're the ones I'll check when I get back home whether the unicycle still fits - it's not with me at uni (although I do need a bike!)
    Maybe level 3 was a bit ambitious - I could do all the level 2 stuff, plus idling and anything in level 3 that didn't involve the wheel leaving the floor. A giraffe would be good - then it could have gears, and I could ride it to lectures!
    • PS Helper
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakhim_)
    I was thinking to get one, but I really don't want to order one from the online shop. I think it's better if I get the feeling of it before I buy. Where did you buy yours? Any good shops in London?
    It'll be hard to get the feeling of it - if you're a beginner, you'll just fall off :P

ReputationRep:
    Oh yes, they're the ones I'll check when I get back home whether the unicycle still fits - it's not with me at uni (although I do need a bike!)
    Maybe level 3 was a bit ambitious - I could do all the level 2 stuff, plus idling and anything in level 3 that didn't involve the wheel leaving the floor. A giraffe would be good - then it could have gears, and I could ride it to lectures!
    When I go to uni mines coming with me it would be cool to ride it to lectures

I'm impressed.. I'm still on level 1 untill I can freemount! I'm finding it tricky.
    • PS Helper
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    When I go to uni mines coming with me it would be cool to ride it to lectures

I'm impressed.. I'm still on level 1 untill I can freemount! I'm finding it tricky.
    I just practised over and over for weeks - no easy way that I know of on a related note, I'm starting to learn slacklining (like tightrope-walking but with a slack ribbon instead of a tight rope), and I can feel exactly the same mental processes going on as when I learned to unicycle

ReputationRep:
    I just practised over and over for weeks - no easy way that I know of on a related note, I'm starting to learn slacklining (like tightrope-walking but with a slack ribbon instead of a tight rope), and I can feel exactly the same mental processes going on as when I learned to unicycle
    That my goal after my exams,
    Lots of people who unicycle seem to take up slack-lining, it looks quite fun!
    • PS Helper
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    That my goal after my exams,
    Lots of people who unicycle seem to take up slack-lining, it looks quite fun!
    It is - I just need to be able to juggle to complete the set :P my juggling is not good, I can do about three throws before I drop everything. Do you unicycle at a club, then?

ReputationRep:
    no There no clubs around where I live unfortunatly but I would love to start one (at least a school club) I think it would be great too get more people involved.

My juggling is hopeless but I want to learn to . (another goal for the summer!)

To do all three at once should be your final goal! :P
    • PS Helper
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    To do all three at once should be your final goal! :P
    Oh, that's the plan - if I survive the attempt, I'll let you know… (might be a couple of years, too!)
    I'm sure there's a unicycling club at uni - I might look it up

ReputationRep:
    Oh, that's the plan - if I survive the attempt, I'll let you know… (might be a couple of years, too!)
    I'm sure there's a unicycling club at uni - I might look it up
    I loook forward to it :juggle:

Some uni's do, Or have it as part fo a club.

ReputationRep:
    YAY!. I also ride a 20" hoping to buy a 24" after my exams. I've only learnt to unicycle recently so I still need to learn to freemount.

Is a giraffe hard? They look pretty cool.

I don't actually know anyone else who can and I wish I did.

I want to open up a unicycle club at my school I think It would be good to get more people involved as its certainly not just for ciruses. Do you go to the BUC?
    Giraffes aren't too bad, they look quite daunting at first but I managed to ride it fine on my first go. If you're pretty confident on a normal one you'd be fine... Free mounting them though? That took a bit of practice XD

No I've never been to the BUC, I want to go some year though, it would be fun

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Squidgy)
    Giraffes aren't too bad, they look quite daunting at first but I managed to ride it fine on my first go. If you're pretty confident on a normal one you'd be fine... Free mounting them though? That took a bit of practice XD

No I've never been to the BUC, I want to go some year though, it would be fun
    Free mount seems harder than actually being able to ride a unicycle!!.

The BUC is in cardiff this year. I might consider next year depending on where it is.!!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 24, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.