Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    http://www.edexcel.com/migrationdocu...e_20110119.pdf

Q6 b.

I'm struggling to understand why friction is going down the slope. I was taught that to see which way the frictional force is acting, remove the friction and see which way the particle would go. The opposite of this direction is the direction of friction.

If there is no friction, surely the particle would roll down the slope? I calculated the reaction force to be 96 therefore Friction to be 48N. The answers say friction is going down the slope meaning I'm wrong. How do you tell which way Fr is going?

The exam is tomorrow lol,..

ReputationRep:
    anyone?

ReputationRep:
    The particle remains in equilibrium. If you look the force is acting up the plane meaning that the force acting up must = friction and the mass of the particle's force. Friction is the opposite to the direction of motion so it must be acting down the plane. It wouldn't make sense as lets take for example a man was pushing that particle up the plane. He gives enough force for it to be in equilibrium. The force which is pulling it down however is it's mass and friction is acting down between the particle and the man pushing it up the plane? I know it's not a good example but think about it as friction always acts in the opposite of the direction unless told otherwise. I just did the question and got 120, I don't even understand how so little working out gets you 8 marks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lollage123)
    http://www.edexcel.com/migrationdocu...e_20110119.pdf

Q6 b.

I'm struggling to understand why friction is going down the slope. I was taught that to see which way the frictional force is acting, remove the friction and see which way the particle would go. The opposite of this direction is the direction of friction.

If there is no friction, surely the particle would roll down the slope? I calculated the reaction force to be 96 therefore Friction to be 48N. The answers say friction is going down the slope meaning I'm wrong. How do you tell which way Fr is going?

The exam is tomorrow lol,..

Your definition is correct but your assumption that the particle is about to slide down is incorrect

When P is at it's MAXIMUM it will be overcoming both gravity and friction

ReputationRep:
    Who says that Fmax is down the slope? It's up the slope!

ReputationRep:
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=1619086
    Try clicking on January 2011 pdf. It'll show you the model answers.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: May 13, 2013
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.