Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    One of my close friends is about to study Engineering at Cambridge. Is engineerng a very respected degree (on behalf of him) and is it seen by other students as one of the less respectable courses?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jamierwilliams)
    One of my close friends is about to study Engineering at Cambridge. Is engineerng a very respected degree (on behalf of him) and is it seen by other students as one of the less respectable courses?
    Tis OK. Don't really have much of an opinion either way - our engineers are an ok bunch.

ReputationRep:
    is it as respected as a course like Natural Sciences?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jamierwilliams)
    is it as respected as a course like Natural Sciences?
    Define "respected." The medics take the piss out of the NatScis (esp Biological) quite a lot cos they're a bunch of wannabe medics (that's our story, not theirs ) but really we get on with them ok. Engineering is not a doss course, that's for sure, and no-one will take the piss out of you for doing it. Why is your friend worried?

ReputationRep:
    i think it is because it is not one of the traditional subjects like History, english, medicine or law

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    Define "respected." The medics take the piss out of the NatScis (esp Biological) quite a lot cos they're a bunch of wannabe medics
    No comment...

Yeah, I'd say engineering is very well respected - and our engineers are a bunch of stars. And they work damned hard. More 9ams than the medics, anyway (5 as opposed to 4)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MadNatSci)
    More 9ams than the medics, anyway (5 as opposed to 4)
    Bleh, I had 6 9ams last year and will have at least 3 again next year

Engineering is well respected, they do apparently work you hard, though having met a former Cambridge Engineer it doesn't sound like they work you as hard as they did thirty years ago! Some people regard Imperial as better than Cambridge - don't know if it's true - but it's why a friend declined his Cambridge offer.

Alaric.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alaric)
    Bleh, I had 6 9ams last year and will have at least 3 again next year

Engineering is well respected, they do apparently work you hard, though having met a former Cambridge Engineer it doesn't sound like they work you as hard as they did thirty years ago! Some people regard Imperial as better than Cambridge - don't know if it's true - but it's why a friend declined his Cambridge offer.

Alaric.
    My dad is one of those worked very hard 30 years ago. Well more like 20 years, but anyway he maintains it is a very hard. Compared to me he is a maths genius, I seriously wouldnt even attempt doing Engineering at that standard if you arent up to FUrther MAths standard.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joey_Johns)
    My dad is one of those worked very hard 30 years ago. Well more like 20 years, but anyway he maintains it is a very hard. Compared to me he is a maths genius, I seriously wouldnt even attempt doing Engineering at that standard if you arent up to FUrther MAths standard.
    Asymmetric information really irritates me. It's hard to judge if you're good enough for a degree or not because most students can only compare themselves with other people in their school and a select group outside.

And when you ask "how hard is an X degree" you don't get a very helpful answer.

So...here goes, someone give me an example of a problem a first year undergrad engineer at cambridge has to deal with?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mysticmin)
    Asymmetric information really irritates me. It's hard to judge if you're good enough for a degree or not because most students can only compare themselves with other people in their school and a select group outside.

And when you ask "how hard is an X degree" you don't get a very helpful answer.

So...here goes, someone give me an example of a problem a first year undergrad engineer at cambridge has to deal with?
    To be good at Engineering, you have to be excellent at maths. There is no other way around it. Its not hard to figure out, a person knows if they are good at maths or not.

ReputationRep:
    To be good at Engineering, you have to be excellent at maths. There is no other way around it. Its not hard to figure out, a person knows if they are good at maths or not.
    Not true, comparatively at my school I am excellent at maths, top four I'd say (no arrogance meant). But in the real world? I don't think so somehow.

ReputationRep:
    Not true, comparatively at my school I am excellent at maths, top four I'd say (no arrogance meant). But in the real world? I don't think so somehow.
    I originally said you should be of further maths standard. With respect, that means you are very good. Its the standard you need to be at. What your standard is, quite frankly is irrelevant.

ReputationRep:
    I originally said you should be of further maths standard. With respect, that means you are very good. Its the standard you need to be at. What your standard is, quite frankly is irrelevant.

I don't think that a engineering degree is heavily reliant on maths. Am currently doing civil engineering in umist in ma second year and i got a B in Normal A Level Maths and am currently coping quite well in fact. I think a persons mathematical accumen for engineering degrees may need to do be good for some engineering fields and not others as it varies on what field u study not all engineering degrees are the same. For instance as i do civil engineering i know for a fact that the maths level required for civil engineering is not as hard as that required for electronic engineering. In todays world the mathemaical side of the engineering has been drastically reduced due to advances in technology. Therefore you as an aspiring engineer have to adept in other areas and not just maths. I feel a engineer has to be versitile and has to know and understand the physicy of people in order to be successful. For anyone who reads this message don't be afraid to take up a engineering degree just beacuse someone scares you about the level of maths required all u need to have is belief and also know what ur getting ur self into as thats why most people fail in university beacuse they pick a wrong course. If you can get a A-B in A Level Maths and physics Then I don't think you'll struggle in uni with an engineering degree as long as you obviously work hard. ANYONE THINKING OF DOING A ENGINEERING DEGREE I WOULD HIGHTLY RECOMMEND THIS AS ENGINEERING OPENS UP MANY DOORS TO OTHER CAREERS AND IF YOU BECAOME CHARTED AND THATS PROBALY BY THE TIME YOUR 28-29 YOU'LL BE ON £50,000. iT WILL ALL PAY OFF WORK HARD NOW AND RELAX LATER IN THE FUTURE....GOODDDDDDD LUCKKKKKKKKKK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!

ReputationRep:
    but I am doing further maths

ReputationRep:
    but I am doing further maths
    Then i'm sure you would be able to do Engineering at Cambridge. Given of course you get an A in normal MAths.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rags94)
    I don't think that a engineering degree is heavily reliant on maths. Am currently doing civil engineering in umist in ma second year and i got a B in Normal A Level Maths and am currently coping quite well in fact. I think a persons mathematical accumen for engineering degrees may need to do be good for some engineering fields and not others as it varies on what field u study not all engineering degrees are the same. For instance as i do civil engineering i know for a fact that the maths level required for civil engineering is not as hard as that required for electronic engineering. In todays world the mathemaical side of the engineering has been drastically reduced due to advances in technology. Therefore you as an aspiring engineer have to adept in other areas and not just maths. I feel a engineer has to be versitile and has to know and understand the physicy of people in order to be successful. For anyone who reads this message don't be afraid to take up a engineering degree just beacuse someone scares you about the level of maths required all u need to have is belief and also know what ur getting ur self into as thats why most people fail in university beacuse they pick a wrong course. If you can get a A-B in A Level Maths and physics Then I don't think you'll struggle in uni with an engineering degree as long as you obviously work hard. ANYONE THINKING OF DOING A ENGINEERING DEGREE I WOULD HIGHTLY RECOMMEND THIS AS ENGINEERING OPENS UP MANY DOORS TO OTHER CAREERS AND IF YOU BECAOME CHARTED AND THATS PROBALY BY THE TIME YOUR 28-29 YOU'LL BE ON £50,000. iT WILL ALL PAY OFF WORK HARD NOW AND RELAX LATER IN THE FUTURE....GOODDDDDDD LUCKKKKKKKKKK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!
    This is going to sound harsh...but i'm going to say it anyway.

Obviously with a B in maths your not at Cambridge. They wont let you in without straight A's and an A in maths. We are talking about Cambridge University here, not your particular University, i'd assume the students at Cambridge are worked much harder that what you would, that is the whole point here, we arent talking about a standard uni.

My dad owns an engineering company. THere are few people earning £50k plus. About 3 of them and they are directors and none of them are under 40. The easiest way to earn that kind of money is to start your onw business. I'm sorry to inform you but the majority of engineers seldom earn over £30k especially in civil engineering.

Good luck to you though, you are obviously very enthusiastic about your chosen career.

ReputationRep:
    The chartered civil engineers in our office (age 30-32) are earning 18-22k pa, yes there is money to be made in it but you'll find it hard to get a 50k job at 28 rags94.

ReputationRep:
    I'm starting Engineering at Cambridge in October, and have done some of my own research. Apparently it's one of the most heavily timetabled subjects, with around 40 hrs per week of lectures, and yes it is a respected degree. Not all Engineering graduates become Engineers, the mathematical and industrial content of the course makes it a good degree for careers in Business and Finance as well as in Industry and Engineering.

I was made an offer, and I don't do A-level further maths, because it's only offered to AS-level at my school.

Make of that what you will, but the impression I got is that they wouldn't have made me the offer if they didn't think my maths skills were up to it, most of my interview involved me talking through maths-related problems which they set me, both orally and on paper, and they collected all my notes in afterwards, clearly wanting to have a look at my methodology.

I did ask about the standard of maths and about whether I'd cope having only done AS-level further maths, and they said that they wouldn't make me an offer if they didn't think I could cope.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by figgetyfig)
    I'm starting Engineering at Cambridge in October, and have done some of my own research. Apparently it's one of the most heavily timetabled subjects, with around 40 hrs per week of lectures, and yes it is a respected degree. Not all Engineering graduates become Engineers, the mathematical and industrial content of the course makes it a good degree for careers in Business and Finance as well as in Industry and Engineering.

I was made an offer, and I don't do A-level further maths, because it's only offered to AS-level at my school.

Make of that what you will, but the impression I got is that they wouldn't have made me the offer if they didn't think my maths skills were up to it, most of my interview involved me talking through maths-related problems which they set me, both orally and on paper, and they collected all my notes in afterwards, clearly wanting to have a look at my methodology.

I did ask about the standard of maths and about whether I'd cope having only done AS-level further maths, and they said that they wouldn't make me an offer if they didn't think I could cope.
    What sort of maths stuff did they set you? I'm awful at doing maths in interviews, i like scribbling on a piece of paper. The only oral stuff i can do is mechanics.

ReputationRep:
    What sort of maths stuff did they set you? I'm awful at doing maths in interviews, i like scribbling on a piece of paper. The only oral stuff i can do is mechanics.
    So, do you believe me now?

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 11, 2004

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.