Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joey_Johns)
    So, do you believe me now?
    I think...i disagree with your comment about a person knowing there they are good at maths or not. It's all depends upon how the other people you know are at maths. Frankly i don't have the faintest clue whether im that good or not, just that at the moment i find it easiest out of my a levels and i'm certain i'll get As.

ReputationRep:
    I reckon Engineering at Cambridge is very well respected, and I can assure you it's no doss subject.. As has already been mentioned, the timetable is one of the heaviest, and certainly in my College, Engineers are noted as the bunch of people that are kept the most busy workwise... and dare-I-say-it, even more so than the medics, and I reckon we receive a fair amount of respect for that! I'd say it was a tough course, well, I find it tough at least.

As for the maths side of things. Sure, there's an element that does require you to have good maths skills, and the depth and breadth of this is certainly dependent on which modules you choose to take in your latter years. A fair few people doing Engineering with me haven't done AS further maths, and they're doing absolutely fine. In the first term, you have a choice of going to the fast or normal maths lectures (and you can switch part way through if you're more confident in a particular area) where both courses cover the same material, but the fast course have 1 less lecture a week. It's a good system so that Further maths candidates don't get bored sitting through lectures of areas they've already covered, but the single maths students cover everything so that by the end of Michaelmas term, everyone should be around the same level.

I did do further maths, but.. took a gap year, which kinda drained all of that knowledge, so I was quite content in the standard course.

Basically - if they've offered you a place, you'll be up to it. Although I would advise that any gap year students definitely make sure they're on top of all the A-Level maths before they arrive there....

Lots of luck to all who are applying/had offers etc - hope to see you there!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mysticmin)
    What sort of maths stuff did they set you? I'm awful at doing maths in interviews, i like scribbling on a piece of paper. The only oral stuff i can do is mechanics.
    They gave me paper, I had to derive a couple of formulae derive and solve a differential equation, do some sketch graphs and integration, and some stuff with angles of reflection, but that was more physics than maths.

(sorry it took so long to reply!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Create)
    I reckon Engineering at Cambridge is very well respected, and I can assure you it's no doss subject.. As has already been mentioned, the timetable is one of the heaviest, and certainly in my College, Engineers are noted as the bunch of people that are kept the most busy workwise... and dare-I-say-it, even more so than the medics, and I reckon we receive a fair amount of respect for that! I'd say it was a tough course, well, I find it tough at least.

As for the maths side of things. Sure, there's an element that does require you to have good maths skills, and the depth and breadth of this is certainly dependent on which modules you choose to take in your latter years. A fair few people doing Engineering with me haven't done AS further maths, and they're doing absolutely fine. In the first term, you have a choice of going to the fast or normal maths lectures (and you can switch part way through if you're more confident in a particular area) where both courses cover the same material, but the fast course have 1 less lecture a week. It's a good system so that Further maths candidates don't get bored sitting through lectures of areas they've already covered, but the single maths students cover everything so that by the end of Michaelmas term, everyone should be around the same level.

I did do further maths, but.. took a gap year, which kinda drained all of that knowledge, so I was quite content in the standard course.

Basically - if they've offered you a place, you'll be up to it. Although I would advise that any gap year students definitely make sure they're on top of all the A-Level maths before they arrive there....

Lots of luck to all who are applying/had offers etc - hope to see you there!
    I'm not sure how anyone could say that Engineering, particularly at Cambridge, was a "Doss subject", as yes it's one of the most heavily timetabled subjects available.

So are you at Cambridge at the moment? Which college?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by figgetyfig)
    They gave me paper, I had to derive a couple of formulae derive and solve a differential equation, do some sketch graphs and integration, and some stuff with angles of reflection, but that was more physics than maths.

(sorry it took so long to reply!)
    it's ok, thank you

ReputationRep:
    i am really interested in the engineering course at Cambridge and want to apply it.
    Did everyone read a lot books about engineering?
    What do you need to prepare for the interview?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kybie26)
    i am really interested in the engineering course at Cambridge and want to apply it.
    there's 2 books by J.E Gordon, the new science of strong materials and structures, both a good read although I didn't get asked on them, just make sure all your calculus is up to scratch in your ints! (i didn't...)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fred86)
    there's 2 books by J.E Gordon, the new science of strong materials and structures, both a good read although I didn't get asked on them, just make sure all your calculus is up to scratch in your ints! (i didn't...)
    Yes, I did read that one. There's a reading list on the Engineering Department admissions pages: http://www.eng.cam.ac.uk/admissions/other/reading.html. I printed this list out and took it to the library to see if they had any, and it turned out most of them were out of print anyway!!! Of the ones I did read, one was pretty dry and boring, though the other was ok. I wouldn't lose too much sleep over it, in the interview, I wasn't asked if I'd read anything anyway, and because it was almost exclusively technical, there wasn't an opportunity to mention it in passing either. (Probably a good thing cos they might have asked me about it in detail :eek: !!!) Hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    I got a couple of books from that list; Structures - or Why Things Don't Fall Down and Remaking the World. As has been said, Structures is quite dry and is very hard to get into - its like reading a textbook, but Petroski's Remaking the world was much better, and I'd recommend reading that. I completely forgot to mention it at interview though! Oh well. I'll use that as my excuse for not getting in........

ReputationRep:
    I didn't read a single thing. But yes, make sure your maths and physics aren't rusty.

ReputationRep:
    Which college is better for engineering, or it does not really matter.
    Also, is work experience important as well?
    I don't know which college shall i apply to

ReputationRep:
    Which college is better for engineering, or it does not really matter.
    Also, is work experience important as well?
    I don't know which college shall i apply to
    Doesn't really matter. Apply to your college based on size, locality, atmosphere, food... etc... Or if you just couldn't be bothered, apply as an open applicant. Bear in mind that you won't get the more popular colleges like Trinity and King's if you do so.
    Work experience, I haven't a clue. I had none.

ReputationRep:
    Didn't read up any books on engineering. Just make sure you know your physics.
    My interview wasn't very technical. Asked me general questions from my personal statement. Asked me what I thought of Thinking Skills (Critical Thinking) as Cambridge was introducing the Thinking Skills Assessment (TSA) for its engineering applicants. Was asked to describe the pendulum experiment to find the value of g. What is a compound pendulum. What causes a sonic boom? How many sonic booms would there be if a plane was travelling at 3 times the speed of sound?

ReputationRep:
    yeah i didn't read any books before my interview. Know all your maths formulas for integration/differentiation and definately brush up on your physics, i almost got stumped in that respect. Just relax and be yourself, and if you say you've read something, then make sure you have read it. Also read some magazine articles that you can bring up in your interview.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 11, 2004
Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.