Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    The story is on BBC, Sky, The Independent, Telegraph, Daily Mail, Mirror, etc. etc.

Seems like Mancini will be sacked, possibly in under 48 hours.

Surely this is too harsh? We sing his name every week, he's brought us the FA Cup, and then the Premier League, and he's got us to the final of the FA Cup again this season, he's tactically outmanouevred Ferguson every derby we've played... consistency is what we need right now, and Mancini is a great manager!

What does everyone else think?

ReputationRep:
    With the players and money at his disposal, he's done a terrible job.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think he's a great manager by any means and think he has been lucky many times in his career, but it's strange to sack him when he's overwhelmingly backed by the City fans.

ReputationRep:
    I think his European exploits are enough of a reason to get rid 2 awful years with City and he never did well with Inter in europe either, City should have CL aspirations and I have absolutely no confidence in his ability to win the CL with them so they are right to bring in some one who can. Factor in a bad league campaign and the general malaise that seems to be present in their squad and it makes even more sense. Look at the squad and you can see the solution isn't to just throw more money at it which is what he would wanna do its to bring in someone to manage them better
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by PoisonSky)
    he's brought us the FA Cup, and then the Premier League, and he's got us to the final of the FA Cup again this season
    Which isn't nearly enough for a team which has spent nearly a billion quid on players in the last 4-5 years. You finished ahead of what every Cty fan proclaimed to be the ''weakest United squad in years'' on goal difference, in the final minute of the season. A competent manager would have had the league wrapped up by the spring. Not to mention two abysmal campaigns in the Champions League.

He seems like a very poor man manager too. He's always critisising his players in public and Van Persie statement in particular was very bizarre, hardly inspiring confidence in the strikers already at the club.

Hope he stays personally, but then i'm biased.

ReputationRep:
    He's abysmal in the CL, but he shouldn't be sacked after this year really.

ReputationRep:
    I thought he might be afforded another season but Mubarak/Sheikh are probably not keen on giving him more money to spend when he might fail in Europe yet again which really, with the quality of their squad, should have done much, MUCH better.

I've never been fully convinced that he is capable of managing at the very top level on a consistent basis. I can't accept his reasons for failing to win the title, i.e. we didn't get RVP when his squad was good enough to challenge alot stronger than he did.

But I do admire that he seemed to answer every question asked, whether it was one he wanted to answer or not, with a naive honesty because what he said got reported, sometimes with abit of spin on it.

ReputationRep:
    Not sure where to stand on whether he should be sacked or not but think it's hugely unfair to suggest he should go because of City's failures in Europe. Last season was their first year in it, and this season they were in the same group as Real Madrid(Semi finalists) and Dortmund(finalists).

ReputationRep:
    If Mancini was so good, why are they planning to replace him with a bottle of sparkling water?!

ReputationRep:
    dont think he should have been sacked..

Everyone can harp on about spending X million on players..

But in reality, it takes more then money to build a brilliant team, it also takes stability - and loyalty.. hes won them their first trophy in so so many years.. and then gets fired as soon as he goes a season without? - its just fickle.. and they risk falling into the trap chelsea have, of having a new manager every year, some times 2 per year..

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: May 12, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.