Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Firstly, I would like to point out that I am not going to defend every policy the American government has, there are a few I personally disagree with. Still, the aggressive hate they face is not justified.

I am sure many of you are familiar with the comments directed towards American citizens. I find it bizarre that most of these are from self-labelled progressives or say they want tolerance. For example, "ignorant and stupid", "fat", and "unsophisticated rednecks". What is important to remember classist and racist comments cannot be tolerated in modern Britain, but it is acceptable to poke fun at our backward neighbours, the evil obese fascist capitalist Americans.

I've met a few Americans. They were friendly, hard-working, moral and love their families. So they may speak "funny" or get their words muddled, it doesn't make them bad people. I don't understand how their levels of intelligence actually affect you to the point where you need to comment on it, or enforce your morality onto others.

Another criticism is their size. It's very mature to label them inferior due to their food taste or eating junk food. Again, just because you may be an organic food enthusiast, surely you're more secure than to sympathise with them on that basis?

What I think it boils down to is other people being different to you. How "tolerant" are we now?

DISCLAIMER:
    1. It's fine to criticize based on policy actions or disagree with ideology.
    2. I am referring to American citizens. But on the basis of foreign policy, I disagree with the "world's policeman" on ideological grounds. Though I do find it hypocritical that criticising some cultures or nations isn't allowed, but nobody bats an eyelid when the fingers are pointed to the US.

ReputationRep:
    You've pretty much got it, it's kinda like undeveloped countries are viewed as obese fat girls with mono brows, making fun of them is just not cricket. Where as America is a developed super power so making fun of them is acceptable. It does always annoy me when people make statements about how Americans are bad because of the actions of their government while if you said the same thing about a 3rd world country they would be the first to point out that holding the people of a country collectively responsible for the actions of their government is wrong. But to quote a complete badass:

"the only thing I hate more than hippie and neo-liberal fascists and anarchists are the hypocrite fat cat suits they eventually grow up to become." - John Casey

ReputationRep:
    Because they like to police the world in a self-serving, one directional means of cooperation which selfishly exploits whatever they can get their hands on. All they care about is power and control, and 9 decades of war, torture and crimes against humanity is enough to testify why some people don't like America. They don't give two ****s about anyone else bar their themselves, and they'll do anything to save their asses when the chips are down.

I say 'they' as in their government, not every single American in existence because I can't generalise.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.