Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    This is something I've been playing about with for a while but I'm pretty **** at it.

Can anybody share what they do with regards to batch cooking and freezing/fridge? I'd love to cook a few things up for when I'm short of time. How does stuff like rice/pasta freeze/keep? Would I only really be able to batch cook veg/meat/sauce? What sort of things do you cook? I'm a reasonably good cook but all my stuff takes about an hour to cook with my quicker meals still taking about half hour including prep.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RollerBall)
    This is something I've been playing about with for a while but I'm pretty **** at it.

Can anybody share what they do with regards to batch cooking and freezing/fridge? I'd love to cook a few things up for when I'm short of time. How does stuff like rice/pasta freeze/keep? Would I only really be able to batch cook veg/meat/sauce? What sort of things do you cook? I'm a reasonably good cook but all my stuff takes about an hour to cook with my quicker meals still taking about half hour including prep.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Well I am not sure about rice, I have never tried, I personally don't think it keeps very well in the fridge overnight so not sure how it would freeze, but you could always try once, just to see.

My dad freezes spaghetti when he makes spaghetti bolognese, I think he covers it in olive oil first to stop it sticking together though.

I personally would just freeze sauces and meat and soups and cook the pasta or rice fresh as they only take around 10 minutes so by the time you have defrosted and heated up whatever it is you are eating you could have cooked the rice or pasta.

You could also try making a stir-fry with noodles. They are fairly quick to make, especially if you use precut frozen veg. I use frozen onions and peppers all the time for this.

xx

ReputationRep:
    I haven't found any problems with refrigerating rice. If you don't like it because it's too moist/damp when you come back to eat it then either let it cool down to room temp before putting it in the fridge or (my preferred option) leave the lid a little bit open so the fridge's dehumidifier can take care of it.

ReputationRep:
    How long can you keep rice/pasta in the oven? I know most of my meat/sauce will keep for 2 to 3 days.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    You should never keep cooked rice for more than 24 hours as it is a high risk food.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I am not saying it is a good idea (it isn't) but I used to keep rice for 2-3 days when I was in uni. Make up a big batch and just microwave takeaway boxes of rice/meat/veg/sauce.

ReputationRep:
    I usually find that rice can keep for up to a week in the fridge, just make sure you reheat it thoroughly.

ReputationRep:
    I think I'm just gonna batch cook veg/meat sauce (bolognase/stir fry) and fridge it for 3 days max. Carbs only take 10 minutes anyway.

What other ideas apart from bolognase/stir fry can I batch cook?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 14, 2013
Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered nutrition and supplements threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.