Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi so I have a blog but don't really have any followers I was just wondering if you could have a look and give me some advice on how I can make it better.
    http://whatlifeislikesittingonawindo...logspot.co.uk/

ReputationRep:
    Hi I just had a look at your blog, I like your poems! I don't have a blog so I'm probably not much help, but I have been thinking of starting one after my A-level exams. I think perhaps your home page just needs more frequent posts, and what about arguing something? For example, take a story from the news and talk about what your opinion is?

Write more poems! You write well, so go for it!

I have written some short stories on Wattpad and I love it, you can get comments on how to improve- how about putting some poems on there?

By the way, my stories are here: http://www.wattpad.com/user/HannahRaeSong if you want to have a look, I'd really appreciate any feedback and improvements!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FairportSong20)
    Hi I just had a look at your blog, I like your poems! I don't have a blog so I'm probably not much help, but I have been thinking of starting one after my A-level exams. I think perhaps your home page just needs more frequent posts, and what about arguing something? For example, take a story from the news and talk about what your opinion is?

Write more poems! You write well, so go for it!

I have written some short stories on Wattpad and I love it, you can get comments on how to improve- how about putting some poems on there?

By the way, my stories are here: http://www.wattpad.com/user/HannahRaeSong if you want to have a look, I'd really appreciate any feedback and improvements!
    Sorry for the late reply I have been revising for my AS levels. Thank you for the advice. I have read your stories on wattpad and they are really good. Keep writing, your really good

Have you ever thought of writing longer story, you would be really good at it.

ReputationRep:
    I love it! Keep up the good work.
    I find the best way to gain followers is to interact with other blogs and bloggers. Email some with the same target audience as yours asking to guest blog on their blog. Write quality content often, it takes time but you'll soon build up a loyal audience.

Have a look at my blog if you fancy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by veronica111)
    I love it! Keep up the good work.
    I find the best way to gain followers is to interact with other blogs and bloggers. Email some with the same target audience as yours asking to guest blog on their blog. Write quality content often, it takes time but you'll soon build up a loyal audience.

Have a look at my blog if you fancy.
    Thank You I loved your blog by the way it is very sophisticated.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Laughingalways)
    Hi so I have a blog but don't really have any followers I was just wondering if you could have a look and give me some advice on how I can make it better.
    http://whatlifeislikesittingonawindo...logspot.co.uk/
    If you've done any digging, you'll already have seen a million articles on "how to make money blogging" "how to get millions of views" "how to be successful" etc. And you'll have noticed they're all completely useless. They're designed for the profit of the writer, not the reader

First I'll try to give you some constructive tips on your blog -

Title - I would recommend something short and easily remembered. Perhaps in your case I would have gone for "LifeonaWindowLedge". Reason being, people are more likely to remember a shorter name, and search engines are more likely to find one. The more key words it features, the more pages you're competing with in a google search

Layout - I do like the colours, it's very plain and easy on the eye, always a plus. Having said that, the right-hand column is very heavy - full of everything, pages, archive, pinterest, etc etc etc. I would suggest playing round with the template. For my new blog (http://bugbitesbiology.blogspot.co.uk/) I put important links like 'About me' and 'contact' at the top, under the title. The first thing in the right column is an archive of posts. I put these things in plain view because it's what people look for. After that I began fleshing it out with sub/follow links and things

I also think you could perhaps streamline things by putting your other blogs and associated pages on an 'about me' page, as opposed to each one having a separate link on the home page

Content - It's imperative that you have good content. Sorry, but nobody's interested in reading "is anyone out there?" you can do better than that. And while I like the idea of film and book reviewing, all you've done is copied the synopsis from other websites and added "I really recommend this" at the bottom. Seriously, you can do better - make some original content, people will want opinions, not your copy/paste skill. If you have one direct passion, like I did with biology, blog about that. If you have a mix of things to talk about, perhaps writing, travel, life experiences - that works too (I should know, I also started http://artymessetc.blogspot.co.uk/)

It really is a bit annoying to see a fantastic book like John Green's TFioS and all you've done is copied a summary. If you really think it's worth people taking the time to read it, you should take the time to write something with substance about it

Networking - this is more of a general tip. You need to get involved. You need to read others' blogs, get involved in discussions, link your own blog. but don't just say "follow me: LINK" contribute first, then ask others to take an interest in yours second. There are blogging communities all over G+ (since you use blogger) as well as facebook. These are really good outlets for sharing content and getting involved. Also perhaps consider offering to write guest articles/hosting a guest author on your blog. Two people working together gets more exposure than just one person

Oh and finally, consider why you're blogging. If you're blogging to be successful, I don't like your odds. It doesn't work that way. You need to blog because you're passionate about it and interested in it, the success comes second.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Artymess)
    If you've done any digging, you'll already have seen a million articles on "how to make money blogging" "how to get millions of views" "how to be successful" etc. And you'll have noticed they're all completely useless. They're designed for the profit of the writer, not the reader

First I'll try to give you some constructive tips on your blog -

Title - I would recommend something short and easily remembered. Perhaps in your case I would have gone for "LifeonaWindowLedge". Reason being, people are more likely to remember a shorter name, and search engines are more likely to find one. The more key words it features, the more pages you're competing with in a google search

Layout - I do like the colours, it's very plain and easy on the eye, always a plus. Having said that, the right-hand column is very heavy - full of everything, pages, archive, pinterest, etc etc etc. I would suggest playing round with the template. For my new blog (http://bugbitesbiology.blogspot.co.uk/) I put important links like 'About me' and 'contact' at the top, under the title. The first thing in the right column is an archive of posts. I put these things in plain view because it's what people look for. After that I began fleshing it out with sub/follow links and things

I also think you could perhaps streamline things by putting your other blogs and associated pages on an 'about me' page, as opposed to each one having a separate link on the home page

Content - It's imperative that you have good content. Sorry, but nobody's interested in reading "is anyone out there?" you can do better than that. And while I like the idea of film and book reviewing, all you've done is copied the synopsis from other websites and added "I really recommend this" at the bottom. Seriously, you can do better - make some original content, people will want opinions, not your copy/paste skill. If you have one direct passion, like I did with biology, blog about that. If you have a mix of things to talk about, perhaps writing, travel, life experiences - that works too (I should know, I also started http://artymessetc.blogspot.co.uk/)

It really is a bit annoying to see a fantastic book like John Green's TFioS and all you've done is copied a summary. If you really think it's worth people taking the time to read it, you should take the time to write something with substance about it

Networking - this is more of a general tip. You need to get involved. You need to read others' blogs, get involved in discussions, link your own blog. but don't just say "follow me: LINK" contribute first, then ask others to take an interest in yours second. There are blogging communities all over G+ (since you use blogger) as well as facebook. These are really good outlets for sharing content and getting involved. Also perhaps consider offering to write guest articles/hosting a guest author on your blog. Two people working together gets more exposure than just one person

Oh and finally, consider why you're blogging. If you're blogging to be successful, I don't like your odds. It doesn't work that way. You need to blog because you're passionate about it and interested in it, the success comes second.
    Thanks for the advice, I shall take it into consideration

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Laughingalways)
    Thank You I loved your blog by the way it is very sophisticated.
    Thank you!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered creative corner threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.