The Student Room Group
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds

Leodis vs. James Baillie Park

Recently been to look at accommodation, and loved James Baillie, but now my friends who visited Leodis, which I didn't get chance to visit, are saying that it was really nice there, and from looking at pictures and things I agree with them. However, I know that the pictures on the accommodation website have to be taken with a pinch of salt because of the angles they use, and they also only show one half of the room, and there are no pictures of the kitchens. And thinking back now I can't really remember what James Baillie was like and I realise now that there's really a lot of things that I should have asked on the visiting day. However, if there is anyone who has stayed at either of these two places and has any pictures of them, including kitchen I would be grateful. Also, I have a few questions I'd like to ask, if you wouldn't mind answering:

1) Bedroom storage. Is there enough space to store everything, such as clothes, books, stationary, games, DVD's, etc.. How big are the wardrobes, how many drawers are there and is there under bed storage? If there is, is it closed off, or open? Like does it have a door that you slide open and its actually inside the bed, or do you lift up the mattress? Or is it just literally underneath the bed and not actually inside it?
2) Kitchen storage. How many cupboards are there? How many fridges and how many freezers? How many people share the kitchen? I'm intending to save money, time and effort by cooking meals and freezing some portions of it, so freezer space will be quite important to me.
3) What kitchen appliances are included? ie. microwave, toaster..
4) How big is the shower? My shower at the moment is pretty small, so that's not too much of an issue.
5) Location. I know they're both pretty much the same distance (about 10-15 mins walk) away from campus. How close is the nearest supermarket? How far away are the closest pubs and nightclubs? Also how about things like hairdressers and book/video game shops? Know I won't be able to afford things like that but it's nice to look. :tongue:
6) Communal areas. How busy do the laundry rooms and the common room become? Is it worth ever visiting the common room or is it just too packed for it to be worth it? I mean I know it's a good place to meet people in the first few weeks, but after that?
7) Is there enough room to have laptop, TV and games console, as well as using it for work, or would I have to setup my Xbox each time I wanted to use it?:s-smilie:
8) Finally, how hard is it to get into them? I've heard that JBP is normally oversubscribed, but I've heard nothing about Leodis. I know Leodis has more rooms so would it be better to apply there and gear my important factors towards JBP?:confused::rolleyes:

Thanks, it would be so helpful if people who have lived in each of the halls could give me some information and/or pictures to help me make my decision it would be much appreciated! Thanks. :smile::biggrin:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
Hey 3rd year here,

I can't really comment on the accommodation as I've only visited it once and that was 2 years ago. Back then and my impressions were that it's pretty standard hall-wise. My main issue is that the surrounding area has had a few fairly high profile incidents and is quite rough (There are some fairly notorious steps).

That said I'm in my third year now and there has been nothing thus far, as far as I'm aware. First and second years were pretty bad though.

Edit: This is about Leodis by the way
Reply 3
Okay thanks, by incidents do you mean people getting robbed?

Also, is the course start date on the UCAS website the date your course starts or the date you have to arrive?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Applied for Leodis and just wondering what sort of things are included in the kitchen? Such as chopping board, and pans? Thanks. :smile:
Yeah the steps between Montague Burton and Leodis are notorious for it. But as long as you're sensible and walk around in a group after dark you should be fine.
Last year there were loads of assaults in the space of a few weeks (made national news). Since then the university and police have stepped up security in that area though, I think, and I haven't heard of any incidents since (although I never go to that area any more as I live in the opposite direction).
Reply 6
Yeah apparently they have good security, where abouts did you stay in first year?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Montague Burton. So about 200m closer to uni than Leodis.
Reply 8
In the kitchens at leodis you only get kettle, washing up bowl, bins, microwave. You need to bring everything else yourself :smile:
Leodis is nice though, I'm there this year and unfortunately I'm in one of the unrefurbished blocks, but next year they will all be nice, new and shiny. Good luck with exams :smile: x
Reply 9
Also, be wary of the stairs in the snow! I fell down a section of them and sprained my ankle pretty badly.
Reply 10
Original post by frangoddard
Also, be wary of the stairs in the snow! I fell down a section of them and sprained my ankle pretty badly.

Thanks, good to know exactly what's there and what isn't. :smile: I don't really eat toast anyway, but I'm sure we'll all just put in or something. And out that sounds painful. :frown: And I feel bad for saying this, but really ironic considering the other person who posted in this thread. :P
(edited 10 years ago)
yeah, i had a spare toaster at home so i brought that with me, but you can pick up a 4 slice toaster in tesco for like 7 quid :smile:
honestly, i have brought so much stuff with me kitchen wise that i havent used. really all you need if you plan to eat like a fresher is a baking tray, plates, knives forks spoons, bowls, and mugs. and a spatula for getting your chips off the tray. frying pan comes in useful and a pan for pasta. don't bother buying anything special as you can just buy it if you find out you need it :P
and, as tempting as it is coming home from town, don't go to flames at the top of the hill by uni. the chicken is awful and one of my friends got food poisoning from there the other day. the garlic bread/ non meat stuff is alright though :P
Reply 13
and, as tempting as it is coming home from town, don't go to flames at the top of the hill by uni. the chicken is awful and one of my friends got food poisoning from there the other day. the garlic bread/ non meat stuff is alright though :P

Haha, I'm planning on eating stuff like pasta and spag bol and stuff, but I know that'll probably go out of the window. :P I'll probably just bring like a pan for pasta, another pan, a frying pan and maybe a wok, I guess I've been spoiled by my parent's cooking. :colondollar: Also I don't drink tea or coffee, so I probably won't need mugs except for hot chocolate. :smile: And I doubt I'll be able to afford takeaways all that often anyway. :P
You'd be surprised, students always seem to find money for takeaways haha.
Reply 15
You'd be surprised, students always seem to find money for takeaways haha.

Haha, touche. :P How viable is working while studying? :smile:
Well I haven't done it, but one of my flatmates has done like 12 hours a week at Morrisons. Personally I think with a 20 hour a week chemistry degree for me, it could have been too much, but I'm looking into jobs for next year now though, but its pretty competitive.
Reply 17
Yeah, I can see that.. Chemistry? That's awesome.:smile: I was always rubbish at chem. :P Got two friends doing it next year at Leeds.:smile: Is it manageable to live off of student finance like food, going out plus any other random expenses that pop up?:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by RyanAGTerry
Yeah, I can see that.. Chemistry? That's awesome.:smile: I was always rubbish at chem. :P Got two friends doing it next year at Leeds.:smile: Is it manageable to live off of student finance like food, going out plus any other random expenses that pop up?:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm a bit of an excpetion regarding student finance because I get more than basic etc. so I can live off it, but some can't, and a lot of people's parents pay there rent for them. Other than that then yeah it is feasible.
I'm switching to Geog next year, I hated chemistry this year :tongue:
Reply 19
I'm a bit of an excpetion regarding student finance because I get more than basic etc. so I can live off it, but some can't, and a lot of people's parents pay there rent for them. Other than that then yeah it is feasible.
I'm switching to Geog next year, I hated chemistry this year :tongue:

I'm getting max maintenance so I should be good then.:smile: And haha fair enough, what A levels did you study?:smile: Hated Geography when I was younger, though I suppose all we did was learning about the differences between developed and non developed countries.. :rolleyes: Plus my teacher was a bitch. :angry:

Quick Reply

Latest