Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So after a long time deliberating whether or not I could manage the mammoth 500+ pages that Heller wrote, I finally picked up Catch 22 and, well, I wish I didn't.

For what is considered to be a 'classic' it seems pretty overrated in my eyes. Admittedly I didn't read the whole thing (I gave up about halfway through), but that was only because I literally couldn't take it any more.

To anyone that has read it it's clear that the book doesn't have a normal structure or plot, in fact you'd do well to find any plot at all. The chapters seem as if they were written independently of each other such that you could read them in any order and make as much sense of what is going on as you could if you read them in the order that Heller intended. It's because of this that the character progression is minimal and I found myself reading about the same events over and over again which made less and less sense each time.

As for the humour, maybe it's just me or maybe it's the fact that the book is over 50 years old, but it seems repetitive and, well, not very funny. Sure, the misunderstandings between the characters and the absurdity of the men wishing to kill others from their squadron for being annoying is funny at first but after a hundred or so pages it just seemed to grate on me a bit.

Perhaps I just couldn't appreciate the satire or the lack of structure was just too confusing, but the rave reviews from virtually everyone didn't match up with my experiences of the book. Just because something is a classic it doesn't mean it's any good.

What do the rest of you think?

ReputationRep:
    I felt the same when I attempted to read it some years ago. Admittedly I only got 100 pages or so in, but I just found it so unengaging that I put it down and never picked it up again...

ReputationRep:
    I read the book some time ago now but I still cite it as my favourite modern novel. I just found it absolutely hilarious, one of the first books that made me laugh out loud. I would recommend reading it again as you might pick up some of the comedy this time (especially with Major Major Major) and try and finish it because it really is worth it. Milo and the syndicate, the repetitiveness and the ludicrousness of this segment is comedy gold as well having some significant didactic points about the pointlessness of war. It is true that there is not a major plot or significant character development. If you read Dickens's 'The Pickwick Papers' there is also a lack of plot, comedy driven by absurdity. The crazy deviations and tangents are necessary agents that drive the hilarity which, at times, leaves the plot lacking.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe I'm just too accustomed to plot-driven novels but to me it seemed like Heller focused too much on the comedy aspect of the novel at the expense of any tangible plot line that could be followed which, for me, wasn't particularly a good thing since the comedy went over my head

ReputationRep:
    I Found the laddish humour quite cringey and gave up early on

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.