The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Mental Health Support Society Mk X

Reply 9880
Hey guys, anybody got tips for coping with third year? I'm starting to feel bogged down by workload and commitments :/

and I'm supposed to be thinking about applying for post-grad but I think I missed the boat. I hate feeling so slow
Original post by Riku
Hey guys, anybody got tips for coping with third year? I'm starting to feel bogged down by workload and commitments :/

and I'm supposed to be thinking about applying for post-grad but I think I missed the boat. I hate feeling so slow

:hugs: sorry this isn't going to be helpful to you at all but I'm in the same boat I'm bogged down and only in my first term of uni. Just feeling like giving up tbh. My head of department is wondering if I'm well enough to even be at uni… ffs I'm nearly 21 I can't waste my whole life away with depression.
Hope things aren't too bad for you. Try not to worry about post-grad, you could always take a year out after uni to get yourself in the zone so to speak.
Reply 9882
Original post by HairyCanary
:hugs: sorry this isn't going to be helpful to you at all but I'm in the same boat I'm bogged down and only in my first term of uni. Just feeling like giving up tbh. My head of department is wondering if I'm well enough to even be at uni… ffs I'm nearly 21 I can't waste my whole life away with depression.
Hope things aren't too bad for you. Try not to worry about post-grad, you could always take a year out after uni to get yourself in the zone so to speak.

It's OK, it's just nice to know I'm not some sort of defect of humanity and that everyone struggles :smile:

:hugs: It gets better, trust me. First year is the year to settle in nicely, but even in second year my workload wasn't too bad. I think it's more the fac it's condensed/each time I've had a greater level of independence/I feel kinda lonely sometimes

I want to sort my sleeping pattern out, that contributes a lot to how I feel both anxiety and depression-and it'd be fair to say possibly OCD, although that might be anxiety, it's hard to tell the difference sometimes!

:hugs: hope you're alright
Original post by Riku
It's OK, it's just nice to know I'm not some sort of defect of humanity and that everyone struggles :smile:

your.not on your own, I only have to do 1 module per semester this year and I'm struggling and failing already :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9884
Should be going to a party in a bit :tongue:

Apart from that the last few days have been quite good actually, looks like I'm finally beginning to make friends :smile:. I am also remembering to take my meds now so thats good too.
Had a couple of days off uni so had a chance to sort my head out.. but from Monday it's no break till christmas, coursework open coursework, and it's going to be a long long slog. Thing is I know after around the third week I'll just be burnt out and feel like I can't function any more, but I don't really have any coping mechanisms. It was the same first year too, those last couple of weeks in term are ridiculously tough. Would help if I could sort out my sleeping too, I find that I don't really have any reason to wake at all, have to force myself out of bed with difficulty, and so I don't really like going to bed either and delay it constantly..

Ah well, keep moving forward, hopefully it gets better someday.
Original post by Riku

:hugs: It gets better, trust me. First year is the year to settle in nicely, but even in second year my workload wasn't too bad. I think it's more the fac it's condensed/each time I've had a greater level of independence/I feel kinda lonely sometimes

I want to sort my sleeping pattern out, that contributes a lot to how I feel both anxiety and depression-and it'd be fair to say possibly OCD, although that might be anxiety, it's hard to tell the difference sometimes!

:hugs: hope you're alright

Yeah you're definitely not the only one :smile:
Thanks, what course are you doing? I'm doing French and German and languages just seem to have soooo much work. I have a 2000 word essay in for 21st November and I have no idea what I am doing.
I know what you mean about sleep affecting everything else. The annoying thing is I find it so much easier to work at night, didn't realise why until I went for my DSA assessment - the lady thought I have light sensitivity/Irlen syndrome, so I guess it being dark makes everything much easier for me. Shame university can't be at night :tongue:
Yeah I am not too bad thanks, are you ok? :hugs:

-----

Feeling really hyper, just made myself a coffee, not a great idea but I am going to stay up all night and do work that I should have done over reading week…. not a great idea screw up my sleep pattern further but hey I am full of awesome ideas tonight it seems.

If anyone has Skype and wants to talk then I will most likely be awake all night. Just message me and I'll add you or vice versa. :smile:
Can't stop it. Not sure wether treatment is useful. Anyone able to shed a light on this?
Original post by Riku

My advice (applies to everyone on here struggling with their workload): ask for any and all help available. Ignore the dumbass voice in your head saying you don't deserve it, or that you should be able to do this alone. Be pragmatic. You're in a difficult situation, and the most important aim is to finish uni without compromising your health too much.

Types of help I made use of: DSA (study coach was invaluable for helping with my dissertation), deadline extensions, support from personal tutor, support from individual lecturers, taking time off/going part-time, being allowed to skip lectures when necessary and work from home, help from friends... basically a whole load of stuff. And I'm glad I did it, because it got me through uni. :smile:
Reply 9889
I still haven't got round to applying for DSA :ninja: :getmecoat:
Original post by superwolf
My advice (applies to everyone on here struggling with their workload): ask for any and all help available. Ignore the dumbass voice in your head saying you don't deserve it, or that you should be able to do this alone. Be pragmatic. You're in a difficult situation, and the most important aim is to finish uni without compromising your health too much.

Types of help I made use of: DSA (study coach was invaluable for helping with my dissertation), deadline extensions, support from personal tutor, support from individual lecturers, taking time off/going part-time, being allowed to skip lectures when necessary and work from home, help from friends... basically a whole load of stuff. And I'm glad I did it, because it got me through uni. :smile:

I echo all of Superwolf's advice. Keep the uni informed of everything and they can find ways to help you.
Having a **** time of everything at the moment. Feels like everything is broken and it won't get fixed. Haven't felt this low and hopeless in a long time.
Original post by bullettheory
Having a **** time of everything at the moment. Feels like everything is broken and it won't get fixed. Haven't felt this low and hopeless in a long time.

:hugs:

im on skype if you need to moan or just chat about random stuff.

your not hopeless though :nah:
remember you helped saved that guys life :yep:
I want to much and just am here doing nothing and having no idea what will come, than a mirk. I should fence and go on whatever bounces in my way, as life is just one long game, but I do nothing.
Original post by bullettheory

You're a fantastic guy bullettheory, and I think the best thing about you is that you keep on trying no matter how bad things get. So I know you'll get through these problems too, especially if you let others help you out when possible. :yep: PM/skype me whenever you like, and remember that it gets better. :hugs:
Really cant do this. :cry2:
Original post by tasha96
Really cant do this. :cry2:

Yes you can, because you are lovely and awesome and strong. :emog:

I'm really really not. :frown: I'm **** and I've made it all bad. It's all kicking off. :cry2:

PERSOM :sad:

Original post by tasha96
I'm really really not. :frown: I'm **** and I've made it all bad. It's all kicking off. :cry2:

whats happened hun?
can skype me if you need :hugs:
Original post by tasha96

I refuse to believe that you are anything but awesome. :haughty: Is it a problem with your family, or mental health stuff? :console:

Latest