Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    If someone got say C's & D's at AS but then got A*A*A*c or A*A*Ac in Maths Economics Physics and further maths respectively, ie they dropped the further maths after their low AS grades would they stand a good chance of getting into a top 10 university for economics the year after? I know that some require A for further maths AS, but what do you think their chances realistically would be. Lets say they wen't to a public school and got A's & B's for gcse's if it makes a difference.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lay-Z)
    If someone got say C's & D's at AS but then got A*A*A*c or A*A*Ac in Maths Economics Physics and further maths respectively, ie they dropped the further maths after their low AS grades would they stand a good chance of getting into a top 10 university for economics the year after? I know that some require A for further maths AS, but what do you think their chances realistically would be. Lets say they wen't to a public school and got A's & B's for gcse's if it makes a difference.
    Only like 43% of Oxford students went to a private school, meaning that more people there attended public schools.
    That is a significant amount so you can't use public school as an excuse

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CoolStoryBroo)
    Only like 43% of Oxford students went to a private school, meaning that more people there attended public schools.
    That is a significant amount so you can't use public school as an excuse
    It wasn't an excuse, hence the words if it makes a difference. Also I wasn't talking only about Oxford but thanks for the reply anyway

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    any other opinions?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lay-Z)
    any other opinions?
    Are you in yr 13?
    Which unis did you apply for

ReputationRep:
    Are you in yr 13?
    Which unis did you apply for
    Yeah: Exeter, Nottingham, Birmingham Manchester Aston, u?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lay-Z)
    Yeah: Exeter, Nottingham, Birmingham Manchester Aston, u?
    I also got CCDD in AS since i literally couldn't be arsed with college so the best uni i applied for was Manchester and got rejected and had to firm coventry. So i decided to do loads of resit and in january i got mainly A's and B's in those units, I'm now aiming for AAB and i'll try and get in a better uni through adjustment if i get the grades in August.

How did you get offers from those unis when ur AS was bad, or are you on a gap year with good results?

ReputationRep:
    I also got CCDD in AS since i literally couldn't be arsed with college so the best uni i applied for was Manchester and got rejected and had to firm coventry. So i decided to do loads of resit and in january i got mainly A's and B's in those units, I'm now aiming for AAB and i'll try and get in a better uni through adjustment if i get the grades in August.

How did you get offers from those unis when ur AS was bad, or are you on a gap year with good results?
    Ah good luck, I got rejected from nottingham and exeter which I expected, my ps was fairly strong and I had some good as module grades & obviously some very bad ones, also someone in my family went to bham so that might have helped. All 3 were in adjustment & bham were giving out unconditionals so probably took a chance. I managed to get predicted ABBB aswell which helped, at the moment though its looking good for me, but I think 2 A* plus would be worth a gap year.. what a levels do you do? And how many exams do you have?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lay-Z)
    Ah good luck, I got rejected from nottingham and exeter which I expected, my ps was fairly strong and I had some good as module grades & obviously some very bad ones, also someone in my family went to bham so that might have helped. All 3 were in adjustment & bham were giving out unconditionals so probably took a chance. I managed to get predicted ABBB aswell which helped, at the moment though its looking good for me, but I think 2 A* plus would be worth a gap year.. what a levels do you do? And how many exams do you have?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Economics, psychology & Business (No maths )

So even if i got A*A*A* the best uni i can get into with only GCSE B maths is Manchester,Sheffield, Aston or Leicester, so I'm aiming for AAB and crossing my fingers that i can get in one of them through adjustment

ReputationRep:
    Economics, psychology & Business (No maths )

So even if i got A*A*A* the best uni i can get into with only GCSE B maths is Manchester,Sheffield, Aston or Leicester, so I'm aiming for AAB and crossing my fingers that i can get in one of them through adjustment
    Ah that's unlucky, you never know they may make an acception, all you can do is work hard now good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.