Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello,
    With the exams that close, stress is starting to kick in and I find myself getting worried about almost everything, so please bear with me.

I was wondering what is the correct use of a calculator during the test.
    For instance am I free to use it to solve quadratics? What I mean is can I just write:

aX^2+bX+C=0 \Rightarrow  \begin{cases} x= \mbox{someNumber} \\ x= \mbox{anotherNumber} \end{cases}
    or do I have to go through the whole process of the discriminant etc.

Can I use it to solve simultaneous equations after getting them both in the form aX+bY=C or do I have to do it manually and just use it to do the actual calculations more easily.

On statistics, can I use it to find the values required when dealing with the Normal Distribution (ie, go to stat->dist->norm->Ncd/InvN and input whatever is required) or do I have to always revert to the Standard Normal Distribution and then use tables or my calculator?

Finally, whenever I'm quoting a formula, may I just input the values for each variable in my calculator and then just write the answer? Say, there's a question that asks for the sum of a geometric series. Can I just write S_n = \frac{a(1-r^n)}{1-r} \Rightarrow S_n = someNumber ?
    I always "define" each variable at the beginning of my answer or before I need to use it in a formula, ie i'd do

a=thisNumber

r=thatNumber

Thanks a lot for taking the time to read this.

ReputationRep:
    Have you checked that your calculator is accepted in the exam

In edexcel the MS refers to the answer given by the calculator so that is accepted

you can just put in ... though I tend to list

a=5
    r=0.4

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I've checked it. I've got the casio fx-9860GII
    That's what I meant by "define", I list them.

So, they won't deduce any marks for simply quoting and then just giving the answer or not manually solving quadratics/simultaneous equations?

ReputationRep:
    Shameless bump :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kostis12345)
    Yes, I've checked it. I've got the casio fx-9860GII
    That's what I meant by "define", I list them.

So, they won't deduce any marks for simply quoting and then just giving the answer or not manually solving quadratics/simultaneous equations?
    If your calculator is allowed and they don't make any exceptions for specific functions of it, then I don't see why you can't use the calculator as much as you want. You should clarify with the exam board though.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure of the rules for your exam board.
    But for c1, we weren't allowed a calculator.
    And for c2, we are allowed a calculator, but must write everything down to gain full marks.

Don't panic! I've got c2 on Friday too
    Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I have the same feeling for OCR, but without wanting to bother Mr M again I get the impression that full marks is always awarded to correct answers except when they say "show that", etc. (for obvious reasons)
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    What I intend to do (and this isn't necessarily right...) is do absolutely everything properly first for both exams, then use my calculator to check quadratics/differentiation/integration etc where possible afterwards

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I forgot to mention my board. It's Edexcel.
    Thanks a lot for the answers.
    I'll contact them and post back with any replies.

ReputationRep:
    HOLY **** you've got a calculator worth more than my phone!

Good luck, I did C2 in January and didn't do as well.. look out for those 'give to 3dp/4dp/5dp trapezium rule questions', they vary!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Frankster)
    HOLY **** you've got a calculator worth more than my phone!

Good luck, I did C2 in January and didn't do as well.. look out for those 'give to 3dp/4dp/5dp trapezium rule questions', they vary!
    Well, I'm going to use if for quite a lot of exams so I thought it'd be best to get a good one. :P
    Thanks for the tips, I'll keep them in mind.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kostis12345)
    Well, I'm going to use if for quite a lot of exams so I thought it'd be best to get a good one. :P
    Thanks for the tips, I'll keep them in mind.
    It's cool! Yeah I'm considering to get a graphical calculator, especially for my further maths modules next year (FP1-3, S2, M2 and D1)..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Frankster)
    It's cool! Yeah I'm considering to get a graphical calculator, especially for my further maths modules next year (FP1-3, S2, M2 and D1)..
    It's really worth it.
    It's been great help in both C2 and S1 (I mean the preparation, I haven't done them yet)
    I seriously can't imagine working with the numbers they give on each question manually.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.