Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Are GCSE Grades taken into consideration when applying for Medicine Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hey

I'm currently in year 11, sitting my GCSE examinations and I've thought about my possible career/university prospects and Medicine is a possibility.

At the moment, my Predicted Gcse grades stand as 5 A*'s, 2 A's & 2 B's. I am taking all higher tier with my 3 sciences, Maths & English (Lit & Language) being Linear IGCSE courses.

I'm looking into UCL's medical school and they say that along with the A level requirement of AAA, they require Advanced GCSE grades in Maths and English (Being at least B's) Are the grades of my other subjects looked into if I do wish to apply for medicine and would they hinder my chances of being accepted?

Cheers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Djent)
    Hey

I'm currently in year 11, sitting my GCSE examinations and I've thought about my possible career/university prospects and Medicine is a possibility.

At the moment, my Predicted Gcse grades stand as 5 A*'s, 2 A's & 2 B's. I am taking all higher tier with my 3 sciences, Maths & English (Lit & Language) being Linear IGCSE courses.

I'm looking into UCL's medical school and they say that along with the A level requirement of AAA, they require Advanced GCSE grades in Maths and English (Being at least B's) Are the grades of my other subjects looked into if I do wish to apply for medicine and would they hinder my chances of being accepted?

Cheers
    At UCL, provided you meet their requirements with maths, english and sciences I don't think GCSEs are a huge factor.
    Language GCSEs are good, in fact if you don't have one, once there, you have to get an equivalent.
    For medicine it's a good idea to make sure you get good work experience, preferably this summer, and then some placements in care homes etc.

ReputationRep:
    Generally GCSEs matter but only for the main 3 (maths, english and sciences)

Having said that some medical schools may look at how many A* grades (e.g Leicester does) to give you a 'score' before inviting people with a certain score or above to interview. So its best to do as well as you can in them, because you don't know if they'll matter in future - things may change from now until you apply.

Like what joostan has said it's important to get work experience, medical schools are very keen on getting that - it does NOT have to be in a hospital/GP if you can't arrange it, just any caring experience is good

ReputationRep:
    GCSE's do matter for medicine. Some rank you on your 8 best GCSE's, so with many applicants with a very high percentage of A*s your application may not be very competitive - for example at Oxford, Birmingham, Edinburgh, Bristol, Leeds, Kings and no doubt a few others (those are the ones I specifically researched when I applied). Others have minimum requirements and then don't look at them again - so you need to do your research and make sure all other aspects of your application are strong - ie AS, A2, UKCAT / BMAT, work experience, volunteering, EC's, PS, reference ect.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Djent)
    Hey

Cheers
    Yes. However, your GCSE grades are fine. I would recommend avoiding universities like Oxford and Leeds but as long as you apply smart, and do well in your AS levels, you have as good a chance as any.

See here for more information: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki...your_Strengths

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mponna1)
    Generally GCSEs matter but only for the main 3 (maths, english and sciences)
    If you are referring only to UCL, they also want a foreign language at grade C or above. If you were making a general comment, it's not the case. Many med schools have minimum GCSE requirements such as "Grade C minimum in 9 subjects with minimum score of 15 required (A*/A=2, B=1)" or "seven GCSEs at grades A*, A or B". Also, as yu go on to say, many uni's rank applicants by scoring things such as "8 best GCSE grades". GCSEs definitely do matter.

Having said that some medical schools may look at how many A* grades (e.g Leicester does) to give you a 'score' before inviting people with a certain score or above to interview. So its best to do as well as you can in them, because you don't know if they'll matter in future - things may change from now until you apply.

Like what joostan has said it's important to get work experience, medical schools are very keen on getting that - it does NOT have to be in a hospital/GP if you can't arrange it, just any caring experience is good
    You are right that caring experience is important, as is volunteering, and clinical placements aren't mandatory. However, my advice is try hard to get a clinical placement if you can.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.