Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I recently had my RAF selection interview, in which at first, the recruiter said "don't be nervous, it's only a chat about yourself and experience" I replied "thats re-assuring"

The interview preceded with the usual questions, which with some nerves, I seemed to answer fully.

I did all my NATO/RAF/ROLE research but he asked a question regarding RAF bases in the UK, which I failed to answer 3 of them.

but my recruiter said it was fine, just make sure I brush up on them.

Following the interview, he said that everything was fine and all looks good and that I would receive an email with my date for my fitness test (thought id passed)

After much celebration, I got a letter through the post saying I hadn't reached the qualifying standard and to re-apply within 3 months.

Any advice? Thanks!
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    CV Helper
    (Original post by Jackman)

After much celebration, I got a letter through the post saying I hadn't reached the qualifying standard and to re-apply within 3 months.

Any advice? Thanks!
    Re-apply in 3 months and be better than you were the first time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by threeportdrift)
    Re-apply in 3 months and be better than you were the first time.
    I understand your logic, but with no feedback and the fact I was told i'd hear positively, to receive a letter saying I was unsuccessful was unexpected

ReputationRep:
    with no feedback and the fact I was told i'd hear positively, to receive a letter saying I was unsuccessful was unexpected
    Nobody on here is going to be able to tell you what you did wrong! Why don't you contact the person you had the interview with or your AFCO and ask for some feedback, they're the only one who'll know why you failed.

ReputationRep:
    I recently had my RAF selection interview, in which at first, the recruiter said "don't be nervous, it's only a chat about yourself and experience" I replied "thats re-assuring"

The interview preceded with the usual questions, which with some nerves, I seemed to answer fully.

I did all my NATO/RAF/ROLE research but he asked a question regarding RAF bases in the UK, which I failed to answer 3 of them.

but my recruiter said it was fine, just make sure I brush up on them.

Following the interview, he said that everything was fine and all looks good and that I would receive an email with my date for my fitness test (thought id passed)

Any advice? Thanks!
    You may have received a positive response on the day as you did we'll in your interview. However..

Every post is very competitive and they look at how many places they have versus the score they received from the interviews and will take the top x% to continue through the application process which is probably where in this instance you fell short.

It *may* be a rare case where a mistake has been made though so you should definitely seek advice and feedback from the AFCO. If it the case of my second paragraph the AFCO are the only ones who an advise and tell you areas to improve, where you fell short etc. to prepare you for when you go back.

The RAF is desirable service and you're competing against many others for few roles, just improve and try harder the second time. You're lucky it's only three months as most that are turned away must wait 12 months!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    CV Helper
    I understand your logic, but with no feedback and the fact I was told i'd hear positively, to receive a letter saying I was unsuccessful was unexpected
    Unexpected isn't the same as confused though. You seemed to be able to self assess where you had missed 3 questions, and now you have a rejection first time (which loads of people receive and overcome) you just have to be a bit more analytical about where you obviously went wrong, and then think about where you could do better, and your performance should improve.

If it's any consolation, 3 months is the minimum time to be told to return in, 6 months is commonly the shortest time, but a year is also quite usual.

ReputationRep:
    when i failed mine i was given a debriefing after it and told where i went wrong and had to wait 6 months, i was told that was the shortest time before resitting the interview

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to the armed forcesGuide to the Royal Air ForceA job in the Army

Featured recruiter profiles:

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick Link:

Unanswered Armed Forces Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.