Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    A quick enquiry to judge the reaction to only entering one choice of medical school on the UCAS form...?

Before everyone gasps in horror at my foolishness, or makes vehement sweeping statements along the lines of: "You cannot be serious about studying medicine if you only apply to one school", here is the backstory:

I am 30years old and would be 32 at the time of starting a course (preferably GE 4 year but possibly a 5 year BMed). I have worked full-time since graduation in my first degree and have 2 children aged 3yrs and 1.5yrs who will need childcare and shoes and food and all the other things that kids need. The ONLY way we could survive financially would be if my husband continued to work full-time and I worked in the vacations (at least for the first couple of years). To do that we have to stay where we are as our jobs are here, and I would commute to Uni from our home address.

That would only make one school a possibility (Southampton). Would only putting one school down just make the admissions tutors laugh and throw it in the reject pile.....?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pittawithcheese)
    A quick enquiry to judge the reaction to only entering one choice of medical school on the UCAS form...?

Before everyone gasps in horror at my foolishness, or makes vehement sweeping statements along the lines of: "You cannot be serious about studying medicine if you only apply to one school", here is the backstory:

I am 30years old and would be 32 at the time of starting a course (preferably GE 4 year but possibly a 5 year BMed). I have worked full-time since graduation in my first degree and have 2 children aged 3yrs and 1.5yrs who will need childcare and shoes and food and all the other things that kids need. The ONLY way we could survive financially would be if my husband continued to work full-time and I worked in the vacations (at least for the first couple of years). To do that we have to stay where we are as our jobs are here, and I would commute to Uni from our home address.

That would only make one school a possibility (Southampton). Would only putting one school down just make the admissions tutors laugh and throw it in the reject pile.....?
    No admissions tutor will know where else you did or did not apply. You might want to go ahead and mention Southampton specifically in your PS though, as they might be slightly inclined to be more accepting if they know you don't have any other choices. As long as you realise that it's a long shot with just one choice, prepare well and go for it!

ReputationRep:

As has already been pointed out, the admissions tutors can't see where else you've applied to, however, it's worth bearing in mind that Southampton jostles with GKT for the dubious honour of being the most competitive GEP and that furthermore, even if you get a place during the clinical years you'll be expected to travel to hospitals and placements which may be much further away than just the university. You may be able to get special consideration for this, but it's still something you should bear in mind.

Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    It's also worth noting that out of all the medical schools I've seen/applied to/debated applying to, Southampton has the most cryptic admissions system. I mean that from an entirely unbiased point of view, too. Yes they have a low cut-off score (which happens to also drastically increase competitiveness), but since they don't interview they go entirely (or thereabouts) off your personal statement and work/care/voluntary experience.

That's not necessarily a bad thing, depending on your background. It just means it's very hard to judge where you'll come out as an applicant!

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I most certainly don't think you are mad! I am in the same position as you, I am 34 years old with a 3 year old daughter with special needs, a husband, home, mortgage etc. Like you, my only option would be to stay put where we are close to family and friends for support and my husband can continue his full time job. Unfortunately the best option for me in terms of location and as a non-science grad is Kings! I wish you all the luck in the world, nice to know I'm not the only one in this crazy situation!

Let me know how you get on x

ReputationRep:
    Thank you all for the prompt and informative replies.

i don't know much about the competitiveness of Soton vis-a-vis other establishments, but I do get the vibe from their literature that they are more inclined to widening-access to medicine, so I'm hoping that evens the odds a little.

i am currently a police officer: not the most conventional switch of career I know....

(worryguts, I'd be happy to stay in-touch)

ReputationRep:
    I think Soton used to have one of their clinical placements in Jersey so you may need to make arrangements to avoid that one specifically if they still do that, from their site they say their main placement is in Winchester so you will need to do some travelling.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, that sounds good! Please keep me posted with how your application is going I don't intend to apply this year as there's too much going on with my daughter, thinking next year once she starts school and likely surgery she needs is over...

I am a teacher so also a big career change for me too!

ReputationRep:
    Hmm, it seems that you're in a tight spot but I'm always of the mind that I'd rather have an acceptance letter and reject it than being empty handed.

What I'm saying is, it really doesn't hinder you much, if at all, to apply to more than one school (I guess it costs a few extra pounds in UCAS). The admission officers won't be able to tell you've applied to other schools anyways and Soton's essay requirements are pretty much the same as others. So, even if you tailor your essay to Southampton you'd still keep your door open at other schools. Once the dust settles you can decide which, if any, school to attend.

Also, if you get accepted to another school and rejected to Southampton maybe you can appeal for Southampton to consider you a transfer student (unlikely, but give it a shot?).

Finally, like others have said, you'll be travelling around all the time during the clinical years anyways. Southampton's clinical attachments are across Hampshire, Isle of Wight, Surrey and Sussex.

I wish you luck with whatever you decide to do!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for all the replies

if it helps much, I have done extensive research about the clinical placements, as it would be silly to start the all rolling only to flounder in years 3 & 4. Transport is provided to the Winchester attachments in the first two years, and 3 hospitals in my locality have Southampton students on-placement so I think there will be some difficult placements and some a little easier.

thanks for the replies!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helloworld_95)
    I think Soton used to have one of their clinical placements in Jersey so you may need to make arrangements to avoid that one specifically if they still do that, from their site they say their main placement is in Winchester so you will need to do some travelling.
    Thanks for that tip: I don't fancy catching the ferry every day....

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for all the replies

if it helps much, I have done extensive research about the clinical placements, as it would be silly to start the all rolling only to flounder in years 3 & 4. Transport is provided to the Winchester attachments in the first two years, and 3 hospitals in my locality have Southampton students on-placement so I think there will be some difficult placements and some a little easier.

thanks for the replies!
    Since when? Bloody cheek we never got transport!

Good luck with your application

ReputationRep:
    Scroll down to: "where will I be based":

http://www.southampton.ac.uk/medicin...udy/faqs.page?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.