Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So after looking through the world university rankings, I realized that a significant proportion of the top universities are in America (I knew they were good, but I didn't realize that so many of them were that good!)
    Of course most people dream of going to any of them, but with the SATS, essays, paperwork and fees up to $50,000, is it really worth it?
    I have dual british and Canadian nationality so could apply for both countries as a domestic student and therefore avoid the surprisingly large international student fees. What came up with my friends who were looking at the international side of applying to Canadian universities were how abundant the bursaries and scholarships were and I was wondering the same for US Uni's. Does anyone have any experience or knowledge of applying to a states university and if their status of a prestigious US university made it significantly easier for them to find their dream employment?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

In my opinion, US universities are generally the best in the world. But the best reason to go to them is not their prestige - you can get prestige from going to the best unis in the UK or Canada if that's what you want. A much better reason to go to the US is the experience that the unis there will give you. US unis typically have vibrant and super-engaging campuses with great social life and loads of amazing student activities to get involved with. As well as this, the courses are often very exciting, the teachers often fantastic and there's a great range in what kinds of things you can study and explore. These are just a few of the good reasons to study in the US. Take a look at Uni in the USA for more info - it's written for Brits by Brits.

As you suspect, there are lots of options for financial aid. While international students are not always eligible for the many grants and scholarships available, they are eligible for quite a lot of them. Many students find it's cheaper to study in the US, because they receive grants and finish uni without loads of debt.

To repeat: I advise you not to choose your uni based on how well it will help you get a job. Any good uni in any country will help you get a job about equally well. Choose your uni based on the experience you will have there (And also based on whether you can afford it). This will make a far greater difference to your life.

Any more questions, just ask!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.