Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So after looking through the world university rankings, I realized that a significant proportion of the top universities are in America (I knew they were good, but I didn't realize that so many of them were that good!)
    Of course most people dream of going to any of them, but with the SATS, essays, paperwork and fees up to $50,000, is it really worth it?
    I have dual british and Canadian nationality so could apply for both countries as a domestic student and therefore avoid the surprisingly large international student fees. What came up with my friends who were looking at the international side of applying to Canadian universities were how abundant the bursaries and scholarships were and I was wondering the same for US Uni's. Does anyone have any experience or knowledge of applying to the states and if their status of a prestigious US university made it significantly easier for them to find their dream employment? Also how likely is it to even be accepted?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    International students who get into a "top" US uni are eligible for need based financial aid, just not government aid. Because these schools have huge endowments (even the top 25 compare to Oxbridge) they have lots of private funding. BUT, it is mostly need based and this applies only at TOP schools. Now some second tier schools offer merit awards to top applicants to get their admission stats up. Key to this is very high SATs as this drives the US equivalent of league table.

ReputationRep:
    Some American universities treat Canadian students as domestic/American students for the purposes of admissions and financial aid -- not many, but some. This includes the usual wealthy suspects (Harvard, Yale, Princeton) as well as some of the other Ivies (e.g. Penn and Columbia) and top liberal arts colleges (e.g. Colgate and Middlebury). If you're considering applying to the US, that is definitely something to consider if you'll qualify for financial aid.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.