Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Is it acceptable to joke about things such as murder/rape watch

Announcements
  • View Poll Results: Is it acceptable to joke about things such as murder/rape?
    Yes
    66.46%
    No
    33.54%

ReputationRep:
    I personally think not & feel people who do are pretty insensitive but I know people who think it is but I'm just baffled as to why Rape/Murder are horrific crimes that shouldn't be trivialised, doesn't matter if your joking with a group of friends, just mentioning them in a joke is pretty distasteful imo & makes the crimes sound less serious then they actually are which just doesn't feel right for me. I've been on like Sickipedia before & the jokes there are just so lame, there's plenty of other jokes that I'd find funny instead, even ones about me providing they're not about killing me/being racist for instance, scale is very important.

Thank you for any replies btw, lets keep this civil :hat2:

ReputationRep:
    of course it is. bad things happen, but the world is a less frightening place if we can laugh at all the horrible **** it throws at us.

ReputationRep:
    In a large group of people where someone tells a joke, one in six is likely to have been a victim of sexual assault. If it had happened to you, I doubt you'd want to joke about it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Damask-)
    In a large group of people where someone tells a joke, one in six is likely to have been a victim of sexual assault. If it had happened to you, I doubt you'd want to joke about it.
    Thanks, well i'm kind of glad someone shares the same opinion aha I've just heard other people say if it doesn't offend the people you're talking with it's ok which I don't think is a decent reason myself as you have to give consideration to others outside of that group, and things like rape/murder are truly horrific crimes that shouldn't be trivialised.

ReputationRep:
    I would understand if someone took offense to rape/murder jokes but I have done it in the past. Some concepts such as child abuse, murder, rape etc are definitely not funny in real life cases but people really do understand that. I think South Park is an appropriate show to bring up here. Some of the stories in South Park are just plain wrong morally but that's what makes it so funny. Humor is one of those things that has always pushed or gone past the boundaries of appropriateness because joking about a taboo subject is a little naughty.

I remember seeing a young boy on Britain's Got Talent in a wheelchair doing a comedy act. A lot of his jokes were focused on his inability to walk or feel his legs but weren't an act of self pity, he genuinely wasn't afraid to joke about his condition and wasn't afraid of letting other's laugh about it either.

In short, I'd say that said jokes are a very human way of accepting the evils in life.

ReputationRep:
    I would whole heartedly suggest you watch this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTvSfeCRxe8

It's a bit long, but it's poignant, I feel.

ReputationRep:
    Yes. Most good comedy is dark. Life would be so utterly boring if the PC-brigade had their way.

ReputationRep:
    If a member of your family was murdered or raped or you were raped, would you still think it was ok for people to joke about it? Would you still think it was funny?
    Genuine question, I'm interested.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HanAsh)
    Tabzqt, if a member of your family was murdered or raped or you were raped, would you still think it was ok for people to joke about it? Would you still think it was funny?
    Yes it would still be acceptable, I may not find it funny, but i wouldn't think it was unacceptable.

If everybody only ever said things that couldn't cause any offence to anybody then nobody would ever say anything.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by officelinebacker)
    Yes it would still be acceptable, I may not find it funny, but i wouldn't think it was unacceptable.

If everybody only ever said things that couldn't cause any offence to anybody then nobody would ever say anything.
    Fair enough. Personally I feel that joking about things like rape trivialises it and makes the actual act appear more acceptable. To those people without the ability to understand social norms (e.g psychopaths), hearing jokes about rape may enforce the idea that rape is acceptable, a dangerous situation. I realise this is a worse-case scenario, but it's worth thinking about.

Depends on the group.

I know groups where it's perfectly acceptable, and we do tell them.

ReputationRep:
    Why the hell would it be acceptable? Murder and rape are two horrific things. I doubt you'd be joking and laughing if someone close to you was raped or murdered.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HanAsh)
    Personally I feel that joking about things like rape trivialises it and makes the actual act appear more acceptable
    I agree with you on that.

ReputationRep:
    I believe our ability to use humour to cut through grief as a result of tragic and violent crimes is essential.

Personally, I would try to be sensitive to my audience (for instance, I wouldn't make a joke about 9/11 in New York, or about the Holocaust at a Holocaust Memorial Centre), but myself and my dad and brother we tell very non-PC jokes to each other all the time, when it's just between the 3 of us. We mean no harm by it, and we all agree the crimes themselves are horrific, but that shouldn't mean we can't make light of bad situations.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I think it's acceptable provided the joke isn't intended as a blow to the victim, if you understand what I mean. If the 'joke' is based around 'look at this person, they're an idiot for getting murdered/raped haha what an idiot' it's not acceptable. If it's based on 'this murderer/rapist is an idiot for doing that' then it is.

ReputationRep:
    This is a tricky one. I'm going to talk about rape mostly because it's more common place, but I think both that and murder share the same footing in 'you probably shouldn't joke about this'. I understand people are still gonna tell jokes, it's dark humour, whatever, and sometimes joking about something you fear lessens that fear of this unknown thing you haven't experienced. People who have experienced it wouldn't do the same.

I think it becomes unacceptable not when people tell outright rape/murder jokes, but when it turns into everyday conversation. eg this one facebook post about what you would do if there was a girl you didnt know turn up in your room, and everybody answered 'rape her'. That's just not cool, it trivializes rape to be nothing more than some dominance-fetish when it's a lot more than that and causes severe psychological and sometimes physical trauma.

ReputationRep:
    Any joke about a taboo subject is going to offend people. I don't like it when people start trying to decide for everyone else which taboos can be the subject of jokes and which can't. There are things I don't like people to make jokes about, but I don't start dictating to everyone what they are allowed to be amused by and what they aren't.

If I don't like what some people joke about, I'll let them know I don't find it funny. If I think it's a crappy thing to do I'll say so. But ultimately I'm not going to consider myself morally superior over something as silly as a joke. I'm sure there are people who have joked about rapes/murders who would gladly risk their lives to try and prevent them in real life, and that matters so much more.

ReputationRep:
    If someone wants to tell a rape/murder joke in a group of mates who are fine with it where no one is going to accidently overhear and be upset or whatever then thats fine.

I dont think its acceptable for people to make jokes about rape in public places loudly or with people they dont know well. You dont know if someones been a victim of rape/sexual assault and if they are being reminded about it, having that situation they were in and found horrific joked about and possibly then suffer flash backs or whatever then thats really not fair on them, and i would think you are a pretty big ******* if you would willingly make someone that uncomfortable.

Murder again,you obviously will never accidently joke about it to a victim, but if someone around you has been affected strongly by a murder then you are going to upset someone.

So yeah keep it to people you know who are fine with it, no problem. Shout it out loudly in a crowded pub and thats not acceptable.

ReputationRep:
    I dunno, ask Frankie Boyle.

ReputationRep:
    Also yes making jokes about nasty taboo things in public when you don't know who is listening is a crappy thing to do. So is using cruel jokes as a way to express your actual views. Context is so important.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.