Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I always used to bite my nails then I got self conscious about them. The problem is I can't fully stop. It's a disgusting and un-hygienic habit and I hate it.

I don't bite my nails, and they grow so I get the white bit on the top. Then when I get that bit I start running my bottom teeth under the nail. Then it will subconsciously bite it and a bit will come off, leaving the nail rough. Even if I file it so it's smooth again (Don't judge me on that lol!) I will bite it and it ends up short again.

I go through periods of that- growing nails, biting them down, growing, biting etc. but I can't get out of the habit.

Does anyone have any tips on how to stop biting completely? When i'm using the computer I bite my nails on my left hand too. I don't bite them when I go out though, it's usually when i'm on my computer or watching TV.

Also, when my nails get the white bit, they often get dirty under them which looks horrible. I wash my hands but it doesn't go. The only way I can get rid is by scraping it out with something. Does anyone know how to stop them getting so dirty?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Runninground)
    I always used to bite my nails then I got self conscious about them. The problem is I can't fully stop. It's a disgusting and un-hygienic habit and I hate it.

I don't bite my nails, and they grow so I get the white bit on the top. Then when I get that bit I start running my bottom teeth under the nail. Then it will subconsciously bite it and a bit will come off, leaving the nail rough. Even if I file it so it's smooth again (Don't judge me on that lol!) I will bite it and it ends up short again.

I go through periods of that- growing nails, biting them down, growing, biting etc. but I can't get out of the habit.

Does anyone have any tips on how to stop biting completely? When i'm using the computer I bite my nails on my left hand too. I don't bite them when I go out though, it's usually when i'm on my computer or watching TV.

Also, when my nails get the white bit, they often get dirty under them which looks horrible. I wash my hands but it doesn't go. The only way I can get rid is by scraping it out with something. Does anyone know how to stop them getting so dirty?
    Only thing that ever helped me to stop biting my nails was painting them. I could never bite something so pretty looking!
    However, I did have to change my colours often and even do some DIY nail art like a marble design otherwise i'd get bored of the same colour and it would lose its prettiness

ReputationRep:
    You could get some nail polish that is transparent to aid you in preventing from nail biting. Actually, I bite my nails too, I have never seen my nails that were grown up I even used a special nail polish for people who bite their nails, didn't help as I still bit them despite the horrible taste I'm always saying to myself oh I'm going to quit this but just simply can't...
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    I started going to get manicures done even though my nails were short. It actually felt nice to have painted nails, and would feel like a waste of money if I bit them again. Also, work out what situations makes you bite them - stress? boredom? and find other things which help you cope with those situations. Don't give up I haven't bitten my nails for over 5 years now!

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.