Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Three weeks ago I had to got to hospital because I thought I had a fish bone in my throat and I thought I was going to die because I could not swallow properly and I started having panic attacks. Turns out there was nothing there but I now think I am going to die from having a stroke or something because of my panic attacks because I know stress can cause strokes. I have also been put on medication to help my sleep because I am scared that if I go to sleep I am not going to wake up.I just keep on thinking something bad is going to happen to me. Any advice on what I should do ?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    I think that you'd need to have an awful lot of panic attacks to get a stroke just cos of them so as far as that goes you're safe.

You sound really anxious and that's normal given that you thought you were going to die. I know it's hard but try to let go of those thoughts. It's just the anxiety talking. Give it a chance to improve by itself- it should do that if you start to sleep better. If it doesn't get better by itself (and while you're waiting for it to) you can talk to people about your thoughts and that should also improve it. You can talk to people on the forum, your friends/ family or to a professional if you like.

It's not unusual to be anxious after an experience like that and it should improve in time. Try to keep some faith and patience, it will get better.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 13, 2013
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.