Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    If one were an American student accepted to Pembroke College, LMH and St. Catherine's College, do you guys have any advice on which would be the best choice to study in History and English?? Please let me know

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by YankeeYoYo)
    If one were an American student accepted to Pembroke College, LMH and St. Catherine's College, do you guys have any advice on which would be the best choice to study in History and English?? Please let me know
    Have you been accepted by more than one college (???!!!), or are you simply asking which one to apply to? Why should one be better than the others for Americans specifically?

ReputationRep:
    just to add to that post, ive been accepted to LMH so far, and ive heard some negative things about academics at the school....i know that it may not be the hardest Oxford College to get in, but its still good to have gotten into Oxford at all right? I mean, is it easier to get into LMH at Oxford than to get into other universities? Or is it just hard to get into Oxford at all, no matter what college you get in? I just dont want it to look bad for trying for graduate school, that I went to a bad college in Oxford or anything, if there can even be a "bad" college in Oxford. Im being totally anal about this, i just feel rather lost! Is it considered good to just have gotten into Oxford at all, no matter what the college??

ReputationRep:
    just to add to that post, ive been accepted to LMH so far, and ive heard some negative things about academics at the school....i know that it may not be the hardest Oxford College to get in, but its still good to have gotten into Oxford at all right? I mean, is it easier to get into LMH at Oxford than to get into other universities? Or is it just hard to get into Oxford at all, no matter what college you get in? I just dont want it to look bad for trying for graduate school, that I went to a bad college in Oxford or anything, if there can even be a "bad" college in Oxford. Im being totally anal about this, i just feel rather lost! Is it considered good to just have gotten into Oxford at all, no matter what the college??
    How hard/prestigious it is to get a place at a college is (I think) very different at graduate than at undergraduate level. Some people do reject an Oxbridge offer because they are allocated to a college they don't like, but if you will just be there for a year or so then I wouldn't worry about it too much. LMH is possibly less prestigious than some other Oxford colleges but no college would be considered poor, and I doubt many Americans will know the difference anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oldthrashbarg)
    How hard/prestigious it is to get a place at a college is (I think) very different at graduate than at undergraduate level. Some people do reject an Oxbridge offer because they are allocated to a college they don't like, but if you will just be there for a year or so then I wouldn't worry about it too much. LMH is possibly less prestigious than some other Oxford colleges but no college would be considered poor, and I doubt many Americans will know the difference anyway.
    \Thanks,
    I just wondered if maybe it was seen as easier to get into than other UK universities, like if getting into any colelge at Oxford was better than getting into any other university at all, or if LMH was less hard to get into, even though its in Oxford, than other good UK universities. I am only going for six months, and i know i shouldnt worry about it so much, i just dont want to feel like I "snuck in the back door" of Oxford so to speak

ReputationRep:
    In my (and most people's) humble opinion, a place at Oxford is a place at Oxford, and better than anything else the UK has to offer, certainly in prestige value (ok some may say cambridge )

ReputationRep:
    at the end of the day, its the degree you will get that matters- the degree u get will be from the university of oxford, whichever college u go to. true some colleges are considered more 'prestigious' than others, but in the great scheme of things it really doesnt matter

ReputationRep:
    thanks for all your advice guys, but I guess i should specify, I wont be getting a degree from Oxford, I am just studying there for six months as part of a visiting student program, through a university set up to help people study abroad, im currently accepted at LMH, and waiting for Pembroke and St. Catherine's College (at Oxford)...i just wondered if any of these has a better academic rep. than the others, i know that none of them are considered the "top" colleges, just wondered where they were considered relatively

ReputationRep:
    REALLY college rep does not matter. Don't worry about it. If you ever put on your CV that you were a visiting student at Oxford that is impressive in itself, and you probably wouldn't even need to mention the college. All the JYAs here have a great time, and we're certainly not considered to be one of the most 'prestigious' colleges, but we are a part of an extremely 'prestigious' university and that is the important thing.

EDIT: Oh, and LMH is cool in itself. Not only was it the first women's college in Oxford, but Bhenazir Bhutto studied there.

ReputationRep:
    by the way, im considering a career as a college professor, so a career in "academia" i guess you would say, so i wonder if the college I choose might affect me in that right, please let me know!

ReputationRep:
    by the way, im considering a career as a college professor, so a career in "academia" i guess you would say, so i wonder if the college I choose might affect me in that right, please let me know!

thanks Hilda

ReputationRep:
    Nope, not at all. Especially as a visiting student.

ReputationRep:
    just remember that you get the same education whichever college you go to. The course is run by the uni, not the colleges.

MB

ReputationRep:
    Within Oxford itself though, does LMH have a bad repuatation? Or is it just not seen as one of the stronger ones. You know what I mean? Like is it looked down on, or just not seen as one of the top? Sorry guys, Im an anal person

ReputationRep:
    I've heard bad things about St Catherines, But they were from Balliol students, so I'm not sure how seriously to take them. Apparently it's one of the ugliest colleges.

ReputationRep:
    Within Oxford itself though, does LMH have a bad repuatation? Or is it just not seen as one of the stronger ones. You know what I mean? Like is it looked down on, or just not seen as one of the top? Sorry guys, Im an anal person

Okay I'm going to give you a conclusive answer to your questions, goto LMH, it is Oxford you are going to , *Oxford*, any college is going to outrank just about any other university. Choosing anywhere else would be silly, go for *Oxford*.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by figgetyfig)
    I've heard bad things about St Catherines, But they were from Balliol students, so I'm not sure how seriously to take them. Apparently it's one of the ugliest colleges.
    Very much a matter of taste... VERY 60's! Imagine a concrete Ikea store! Personally I really like it, and grades permitting am off there in October.

ReputationRep:
    Okay, being a laywer I can't really comment on different the academic reputations of the colleges for History and English but I can offer a bit of (perhaps obvious) advice.

Firstly I wouldn't say that the college you choose makes no difference in the quality of your teaching etc because although the course is organised by the university and you are lectured in the faculty your teaching is done in college so it might be worth looking at the reputations of the tutors at each of the colleges. As far as I know though LMH, Catz and Pembrooke all have roughly equal reputations.

Now more imporantly than the academic side there are some practical issues. Catz is next-door to the English and Law faculty, very practical for lectures etc, Pembroke is fairly central but is about 10/15minutes walk from the places you'll need to go to, LMH is a long long way away and if you don't fancy lots of walking/cycling I would not make it my first choice.

Pem"broke" have a bad reputation for being very poor. This means unfortuantly that your accomodation/food will be expensive and you'll do well to get good grants etc out of the college. Catz and LMH have a similar financial footing methinks.

Hopefully this has helped. This is only a guess but from what I know of admissions procdure LMH will probably be your first choice college and Catz and Pembroke will be randomly selected backup choices. If LMH has accepted you then, lucky you, you're in but this will probably mean that they will have said "hands off" to the other two and you won't get offers from them. (just a guess). This could make your choice much easier.

Finally, you've got an offer from Oxford, all the colleges are nice in their own way and people from rival colleges will always criticise the others. The bottom line is that you'll be happy and get an amazing education wherever so go for it.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks all who have replied to me, you guys have really helped! Ok, so basically the consensus is, within Oxford, LMH is kinda looked down on as one of the weaker schools, but it doesnt matter, because its still Oxford right? so basically its seen as not so strong within Oxford itself, but it is still seen as good by people outside of the school right? is that the general consensus? Of course im not going to reject a place from somwhere like Oxford, and believe me, i dont want to give you all teh impression that im not extremely grateful to have gotten in! I just wondered what kind of reputation the college had within the University itself, and i figured maybe you guys had the inside perspective and could help

ReputationRep:
    Noooooooo! Don't get that idea. Reputations within the Uni are usely completely unfounded and based on rivalries, snobberies etc. I guarantee that within a week of being at LMH you'll look down on every other college, everyone does. If you want a real idea look at the Norrington table (not that accurate) or just at who'll be teaching you (look on the website/in the prospectus) and their reputations/areas of interest.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 20, 2004
Poll
Favourite type of bread
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.