Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Feel so unconfident when it comes to guys & dating Watch

There's a bit more to this than meets the title sorry!

I've always been quite unconfident when it comes to dating. At school I had crushes but nothing ever came of them and often the whole school including the guy I fancied would say aloud 'I can't believe she would think someone like me would go for someone like her'. That knocked my confidence quite a bit and since then I've never really been the one to express an interest in a guy in case they give a similar answer.

I think I'm alright looking. I'd say my face is decent, my body could use some work - I'm quite tall and my legs are quite thick but toned. I could do with some toning up on my stomach and whilst I'm working on that it's not working as quickly as I'd like to. I've got fair skin and as a result in the summer I keep quite covered up, so whilst most girls are out looking lovely with short dresses on I'm often far more covered, which lowers my confidence when it comes to guys. I'm very friendly and positive and smiley, I get on well with almost anyone and I'm always up for a laugh or laughing with other people.

There is one guy at work who I'm interested in, but again I always think to myself 'why would he like me when there are so many other girls who work here who are much more beautiful?' We have good chemistry, get on well and I think he likes me at least on a friendship level. He also looks at me a lot and always tries to include me in the conversation even if I'm sitting far away from him. He acts more friendly towards me than he does towards most of the other staff members but maybe that's just because I'm quite friendly? Whenever I come in in the mornings he always looks up and smiles and turns towards me to have a chat. But how to I have the confidence to ask him out outside of work? How do you gauge whether someone likes you as a friend or as something more?

Sorry that this is so long and rambly and so many questions .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    There's a bit more to this than meets the title sorry!

I've always been quite unconfident when it comes to dating. At school I had crushes but nothing ever came of them and often the whole school including the guy I fancied would say aloud 'I can't believe she would think someone like me would go for someone like her'. That knocked my confidence quite a bit and since then I've never really been the one to express an interest in a guy in case they give a similar answer.

I think I'm alright looking. I'd say my face is decent, my body could use some work - I'm quite tall and my legs are quite thick but toned. I could do with some toning up on my stomach and whilst I'm working on that it's not working as quickly as I'd like to. I've got fair skin and as a result in the summer I keep quite covered up, so whilst most girls are out looking lovely with short dresses on I'm often far more covered, which lowers my confidence when it comes to guys. I'm very friendly and positive and smiley, I get on well with almost anyone and I'm always up for a laugh or laughing with other people.

There is one guy at work who I'm interested in, but again I always think to myself 'why would he like me when there are so many other girls who work here who are much more beautiful?' We have good chemistry, get on well and I think he likes me at least on a friendship level. He also looks at me a lot and always tries to include me in the conversation even if I'm sitting far away from him. He acts more friendly towards me than he does towards most of the other staff members but maybe that's just because I'm quite friendly? Whenever I come in in the mornings he always looks up and smiles and turns towards me to have a chat. But how to I have the confidence to ask him out outside of work? How do you gauge whether someone likes you as a friend or as something more?

Sorry that this is so long and rambly and so many questions .
    Okay first of all, if you are unhappy with your body then change it. Get to the gym, get fit and your confidence will increase dramatically. It will also give you more of a reason to wear dresses and such in summer. No one cares if you're pale. Believe it or not, not every guy wants one of those slug resembling monstrosities.

As for the work situation, you're over-thinking it. Ask him to accompany you to lunch, a film or whatever. Even if it's just as friends. You won't know till you spend more time with him.

Oh and p.s. Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken

(Original post by Tyler_Durden)
    Okay first of all, if you are unhappy with your body then change it. Get to the gym, get fit and your confidence will increase dramatically. It will also give you more of a reason to wear dresses and such in summer. No one cares if you're pale. Believe it or not, not every guy wants one of those slug resembling monstrosities.

As for the work situation, you're over-thinking it. Ask him to accompany you to lunch, a film or whatever. Even if it's just as friends. You won't know till you spend more time with him.

Oh and p.s. Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken
    I'm getting fit but it's just not happening as quickly as I thought it would. My legs are thick but they are toned as I swim almost every day.

I don't understand your last reference .

Thanks for your help .

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 12, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.