Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Venting!!! :-)

My old uni friend keeps turning up at my flat with very little warning. She told me she "might" be coming to see me tomorrow on the 2nd of this month and said nothing else. She's just let me know now that she IS coming tomorrow, she's booked her train (no checking with me on when I'm free tomorrow) and sorry she didn't let me know earlier, she was in the cinema and obviously couldn't check her phone even once. I've had to rush around cleaning the flat, I haven't got any food in and I'm going to have to get up super early to get her from the station. My boyfriend is fuming, he thinks I just shouldn't be in tomorrow and that I'm too soft.maybe he's right, last time she visited she did the exact same thing and it annoyed me then. I'm just so irritated.

I feel a bit sorry for her for not being able to get a job, get new friends etc but I also feel like an idiot for not saying something when she's blatantly inconveniencing me by letting me know the night before... it's always been the same, at uni she used to make me pick up stuff she'd dropped on the floor and shout and laugh hysterically at me if i messed up anything, her behaviour was just plain odd quite often. I thought we'd probably drift apart when we left uni but she's been texting me for the best part of a year now. Argh, I don't even know what to do tomorrow now.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I have a friend that does this, totally in the same boat.

I handled it when I just had enough and I sat her down and I just like 'we are great mates and all that but I really need to know sooner in the future when you want to turn up because otherwise you'll end up coming round and I'll have to say no because I have other plans. I don't want that to happen but unless you tell me earlier then you're going to end up knocking on a door with no one behind it.'

She's been pretty okay since

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LexBlue)
    I have a friend that does this, totally in the same boat.

I handled it when I just had enough and I sat her down and I just like 'we are great mates and all that but I really need to know sooner in the future when you want to turn up because otherwise you'll end up coming round and I'll have to say no because I have other plans. I don't want that to happen but unless you tell me earlier then you're going to end up knocking on a door with no one behind it.'

She's been pretty okay since
    Mm good to know something like this worked! Was she upset at all? I don't want to make her feel bad

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    She looked a little offended but by the end of my short speech she was just like, 'sorry! I didn't want to turn into a problem, really sorry.'

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for the advice! I'll do my best, I'm just dreading having to entertain her all day (she's the type that needs entertaining or she just sits there...silent) with very little warning :-\

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    How rude! I do think it's better if you tell her not to just turn up without checking / notice first. When I was at uni, I'd sometimes visit a friend of mine. Every time I wanted to do that, I'd text him and say "can I come over on Tuesday please?" and he'd either tell me no or say "yes; but not until 7.30".

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 13, 2013
Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.