Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    its so complicated one minute they need us to choose As and before we choose our a levels its time to pick our degrees so i need to no where the best place to study maths is and does anyone have any idea where to find past step papers from - which means that i did F maths no reason at all i thought it might give me a head start no such chance

ReputationRep:
    Cambridge usually comes to mind. Past step papers available from OCR (http://www.ocr.org.uk). What do you mean about F.Maths being useless?

ReputationRep:
    I was under the impression that f maths would stop me from having to do the step papers but nope so idid the extra work for in that case....fun!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lolly 4)
    I was under the impression that f maths would stop me from having to do the step papers but nope so idid the extra work for in that case....fun!
    You'll still be required to do the STEP paper having done F. Maths.

ReputationRep:
    Well, no, not least because passing STEP II is probably harder than Alevel further maths, even though it's designed for single maths students. Also because STEP III is designed to test further maths anyway. And of course it's not a waste, if you're going to do a degree in it it's not a good sign that you see the alevels as a pointless waste.

Are you in lower 6th or upper? Where are you planning to apply? Because for example at Warwick, getting an A in further maths can be used instead of STEP paper, or at Bath, doing further maths gets your offer reduced from AAA to AAB or supposedly ABB. But if you're holding an offer, or applying to Cambridge, you'll have to do the whole thing, F.Maths, STEP and all, unless you apply to Kings?

ReputationRep:

how in the world do u hav rep already?

ReputationRep:
    i do maths and have no idea what a step paper is....so its not necessary.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ickle_katy)
    i do maths and have no idea what a step paper is....so its not necessary.
    It is asked for by a few unis.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fishpaste)
    But if you're holding an offer, or applying to Cambridge, you'll have to do the whole thing, F.Maths, STEP and all, unless you apply to Kings?
    You don't need to do further maths to get into Cambridge. This would discriminate against students who didn't have the choice at college.

Adam

ReputationRep:
    Cambridge/Oxford/Imperial/Warwick

These unis are all good at maths and have a v.good reputation.

STEP Paper is only needed if u want to apply to Cambridge. I 'd apply to Oxford as it is easier to get in than Cambridge.

AEA (advanced Extension award) is also useful if ur applying to the Other 3 Unis (apart from Cambridge coz they think its piss easy compared to STEP II , III which is true.)

I'd recommend u do some serious research about these examinations and find past papers online.
    Good Luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by byb3)
    You don't need to do further maths to get into Cambridge. This would discriminate against students who didn't have the choice at college.

Adam

Yes Unless u have a v.good Excuse of not doing it (i.e. if ur school doesn't teach it ) and even then there are people who teach themselves AS further maths. Basically without Further Maths A-level FORGET oxbridge.
    LoL @ Trinity College , Cambridge sayin they also accept people with single A-level maths which is BULL...coz they make them an offer of 1,1 in STEP I and STEP II ...

ReputationRep:
    It is asked for by a few unis.
    Apart From Cambridge No Other university Actually ASKes for it. Obviously its an Advantage but they won't make an offer based on it.

Warwick 'd ask for it if u haven't done A-level Further Maths...but if ur doing 4 A-levels they'll make u an offer of AAAB and then no Step is required.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by byb3)

Adam
    If you have any opportunity to take it you do though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HamaL)
    Yes Unless u have a v.good Excuse of not doing it (i.e. if ur school doesn't teach it ) and even then there are people who teach themselves AS further maths. Basically without Further Maths A-level FORGET oxbridge.
    LoL @ Trinity College , Cambridge sayin they also accept people with single A-level maths which is BULL...coz they make them an offer of 1,1 in STEP I and STEP II ...
    They do accept people who have seriously had no opportunity to take double maths, and a 1,1 on STEPII offer is possible to make if you've done single. Not as bad as an S,S offer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HamaL)
    Apart From Cambridge No Other university Actually ASKes for it. Obviously its an Advantage but they won't make an offer based on it.

Warwick 'd ask for it if u haven't done A-level Further Maths...but if ur doing 4 A-levels they'll make u an offer of AAAB and then no Step is required.
    Warwick told a girl in my class to get herself entered for STEP or AEA even though she's taking Further AS, which at grade A is technically a valid replacement for STEP in the standard Warwick offer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HamaL)
    Cambridge/Oxford/Imperial/Warwick

/Bath.

ReputationRep:
    They do accept people who have seriously had no opportunity to take double maths, and a 1,1 on STEPII offer is possible to make if you've done single. Not as bad as an S,S offer.

Do they even Make SS offers? thats more like saying No

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HamaL)
    Do they even Make SS offers? thats more like saying No
    I know a few people with SS offers from Christs, Johns and Trinity I think. (Might have been S,1 for trinity.) They're all pretty confident of making the offers.

ReputationRep:
    Oh ok...Did u apply to Cam? What coursE? where r u goin now?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HamaL)
    Oh ok...Did u apply to Cam? What coursE? where r u goin now?
    Yup, I applied to maths at Clare College, Cam. Currently studying at Xaverian College, Manchester.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should universities take a stronger line on drugs?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.